Forums > General Industry > What if a GWC was the best photographer around?

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:
The use of the term here is by wannabes trying to put down other wannabes.

That's what I was trying to say Don, but you are much more concise and eloquent than I.

Jun 07 06 12:21 am Link

Model

overandout

Aberdeen, Washington, US

ADGibson wrote:

For you I would make sure of it.

sweet!

yah, i'd do it.  only for a chocolate chip cookie though.

Jun 07 06 06:18 am Link

Photographer

Bryan Benoit

Miami, Florida, US

Natashka wrote:
---------------------------------------
Ok, it is not necessarily that he spends gobs of money on equipment - that, as a GWC, he does not know how to use.

Let me put it another way: a model is serious about her work and wants to make a living.  But a GWC just wants to take advantage of her.

As a stop-gap measure, models should always have one or two trade secrets - that she can bring up to the photographer in coversation.

When he gets a dumbfounded look on his face - showing that he knows very little about actual photography - she should run. This is clue number one that he does not do great work and has few or no connections for getting her work published.  He is not part of the industry at all.

Or say you ask him about getting shots printed and he justs points you elsewhere or blows you off, this indicates that he really does not care that you get your work distributed or fully processed.

Therefore - he will never help her do anything productive as he is just a vampire of her time. Models cannot afford to be indigent - at the expense of a GWC. He may buy the equipment and put on the act, but he will never help the model make a living. He's doin' it just for fun outside of a day job.

There is nothing wrong with doing photography as a hobby, but models have to learn about who is serious about this business and who is not (for example, a GWC who is just playing and having fun).

From what you said above, it sounds like your heart is into photography; you've done it for a long time; and you pay on occasion.  You are not a GWC at all.

=======================================
Using the "GWC" test above this is how I rank:

* I don't have any real industry connections *** GWC ***
* I don't give prints to models (just high res CDs) *** GWC ***
* I don't know how to light a set or calculate light ratios *** GWC ***
* I do photography as a hobby and think it is actually fun *** GWC ***
* I was under the impression that I helped my models make a living by giving you some decent images and as I am not an agent wasn't directly booking jobs for them *** GWC ***

So it is official. I am a GWC that doesn't care about my models and I am just out to take advantage of them.

To all the models that I have shot with and specially the many that have taken my images and gotten real paying jobs, been signed by agencies, etc... I tricked you into thinking that I was a photographer. Sorry. I know that I never actually ever hit on any of you but I am just a GWC in training... give me some time please.

Isn't making general statements based on misinformation fun?

Jun 07 06 07:25 am Link