Forums > General Industry > That double standard

Model

Kassandra

Coram, New York, US

When i first started with my career in photography and modeling i was working off one giant discredit--this being my minor-ness(like its a disease, haha). I found there was alot of pre-set stereotypes that came with having one more line to sign on a release.

But not just this- my work that i had dne with myself often recieved a lot of critism based on my age. In addition many people held reservations about working with me due to agian, my minor-ness. There seems to be the idea that all minors are unreliable childish critters not worth the sight of your cam lens. While, i do agree, many people under 18 can be unrelible and childish---just as many fit this criteria that are above.

So i find it ironic that i have not once had to cancel a shoot or what not..but in this past week alone i have had 3 photographers cancel me.

Case 1- ((Quite above the age of a minor ill tell you that !)) Had scedualed a shoot with me months ahead-giving both him and i the time to clear the day for the obligation. I mail them a week or so prior the shoot to check in on how things were going and i dont get a responce.Still no responce till the day before the shoot and in that mail was a request for directions to thier place, confirmation that the shoot was still on, and other goodies---so, an essential thing to write back to. The day of the shoot PASSES, and that night i get a mail from the person saying omg , im so sorry, i couldnt get off of work, dont kill me we can rescedual.

I was very disapionted in the behavior, they would SO BE GETTING NEGETIVE RATING IF THEY WERE ON EBAY! Haha

Iv spotted this out a few times and found it very fustrating for people who cannot stick to thier obligations.

Models, how offten have you had coworkers do this to you? Photographers always talk about no-shows but what about the other individuals apart of a shoot(not just photographers) Who either leave you hanging, or cancel for some redicilious reason? Do you work with that person agian after the insodent?  Many models work a job and may often clear that day off of work ahead of scedaul to make it to the shoot--you do this and then something like the above happends would you be willing to work with the person again?Whats your thoughts  .

And a side note, not so much a whining rant, just raising awarness, sharing experiances and picking all your brains! tehee!

Jun 03 06 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

The shoe on either foot....whether I were a model and a photographer stood me up, or as a photographer and a model standing me up...No, I would not work with them again.......I'd politely decline, unless they are willing to leave a non refundable deposit for my sitting fee, to be credited towards the shoot if they show...business is business....you are right to confirm, but no confirmation from them in a certain leway period, I call it off automatically and try to fill the spot while I have time to.

Jun 03 06 06:09 pm Link

Model

Kassandra

Coram, New York, US

Jay Farrell wrote:
The shoe on either foot....whether I were a model and a photographer stood me up, or as a photographer and a model standing me up...No, I would not work with them again.......I'd politely decline, unless they are willing to leave a non refundable deposit for my sitting fee, to be credited towards the shoot if they show...business is business....you are right to confirm, but no confirmation from them in a certain leway period, I call it off automatically and try to fill the spot while I have time to.

Would you have any suggestions on how to go about requesting a deposit? One thing i am very cautious about is scaring people off or coming off too tight @ssed that they run away. Though i think its a great idea..id imagine that alot of people would say no to the condition, do you find that at all?

Jun 03 06 06:13 pm Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Wait, wait, wait....let me get this straight...

Someone passed up the chance to shoot with you?!?

Oh, when my next Long Island trip gets scheduled I may just bother to pester you.

Jun 03 06 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

a few of my best models happen to be underage....

Jun 03 06 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

I've met at least as many flakey photographers as flakey models.  And most of the photographers have been old enough to know better.

Jun 03 06 06:20 pm Link

Model

Kassandra

Coram, New York, US

Nihilus wrote:
Wait, wait, wait....let me get this straight...

Someone passed up the chance to shoot with you?!?

Oh, when my next Long Island trip gets scheduled I may just bother to pester you.

Aww your all nice and kind! Id love the oportunity so youd best keep me informed ! ^__^

Doug Swinskey wrote:
a few of my best models happen to be underage....

And its people such as yourself that have made my life all the easier haha Its good to see some people do not descriminate for such things ...ah well, im17 now but in a month ill be 18 and Woo, no more having to hear the "well....we dont shoot with minors." Exuse! Yayy

Jun 03 06 06:22 pm Link

Model

Kassandra

Coram, New York, US

Ken Mierzwa wrote:
I've met at least as many flakey photographers as flakey models.  And most of the photographers have been old enough to know better.

hah i think people forget that while our career roles are differant(well, i do both but still)that we are all coming from the same box. The green MMs are the same as the red MMs--all come form the same bag --all have the same odds of having a chiped paint job so to speak

Jun 03 06 06:24 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Kassandra wrote:
Would you have any suggestions on how to go about requesting a deposit? One thing i am very cautious about is scaring people off or coming off too tight @ssed that they run away. Though i think its a great idea..id imagine that alot of people would say no to the condition, do you find that at all?

I am not a model, so another model may be better able to tell you how to effectively do that....on my end of it, as a photographer,  I would say something like "I'm sorry things didn;t work out for our photoshoot to happen as scheduled. Of course we both understand that time lost means money and opportunity lost...I am a fair person, however, if you would like to reschedule, I ask that you send me a non refundable deposit for the first hour of shooting, based on my normal rates...." If it's a TFP, return the deposit when you get your material, if not, apply it to the shoot....Never worry about running off someone who flaked on you....as long as you are diplomatic, it's all good.....this is business, you must protect your own interest first! If they say no, you never needed them....

That at least shows you have class and self respect, and place a value on your time and services. if a client were to stand me up, I would do that too.....if they agree to it, double bonus, if not, no loss.

Jun 03 06 06:26 pm Link

Model

Kassandra

Coram, New York, US

Jay Farrell wrote:

I am not a model, so another model may be better able to tell you how to effectively do that....on my end of it, as a photographer,  I would say something like "I'm sorry things didn;t work out for our photoshoot to happen as scheduled. Of course we both understand that time lost means money and opportunity lost...I am a fair person, however, if you would like to reschedule, I ask that you send me a non refundable deposit for the first hour of shooting, based on my normal rates...." If it's a TFP, return the deposit when you get your material, if not, apply it to the shoot....Never worry about running off someone who flaked on you....as long as you are diplomatic, it's all good.....this is business, you must protect your own interest first! If they say no, you never needed them....

That at least shows you have class and self respect, and place a value on your time and services. if a client were to stand me up, I would do that too.....if they agree to it, double bonus, if not, no loss.

First off id like to thank you for giving the example! While things are definitly differant in handling for a photographer upose to a model its easier to come up with a working form of responce when i have a model to base it off of in a way . ^_^; learn something everyday. I try to be very leaniant with photographers because i understand that i am not the most experianced top name model with her name out there but it can be so very fustrating when they dont live up to your own expectations 2! ha^__^ Thank you agian!

Jun 03 06 06:33 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

You're very welcome! I think it's good to be fair on either end, you just have to set your standards and not deviate from them. I would love to work with you myself, that dude really missed out I would bet.

Jun 03 06 06:36 pm Link

Model

Kassandra

Coram, New York, US

Jay Farrell wrote:
You're very welcome! I think it's good to be fair on either end, you just have to set your standards and not deviate from them. I would love to work with you myself, that dude really missed out I would bet.

Well you know I have plans of winning lotto twice >_> ( once to afford my personal jet service, twice to afford the gas to go ne where in it!) And ill have to get my behind over to Tennessee!

Jun 03 06 06:42 pm Link