Forums > General Industry > Its all about the approach.

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

NC17 wrote:
After seeing several different comments relating to this I thought I'd expand on it and put it out there since it got a good response.

Lately I have seen several different posts by photographers lamenting the lack of TFP work. It seems the efforts that they have been making have all been turned down.

I have noted that one of the sources of this rejection is probably in the initial attempts being made. I have often been approached with things like "Let me expand your portfolio" or "You're going to love what I can do for your port" or "I can provide you with an entirely fresh portfolio."

While these statements are made with all the best intentions, they do not gain the intended reaction from me. The trouble with these types of statements is that they imply several different things: One being that you feel that the work that the model has in her portfolio is beneath your level of work, and secondly you feel that you know what is best for that model which is your work. From a model's perspective these statements feel very condescending and insulting.

As a photographer your best approach is going to be to flatter the heck out of the model which has nothing to do with the quality of your work. Instead of telling her how much she needs you, tell her how much you need her. After all, isn't that why you're approaching her in the first place? Tell her how much you would love to add her look and style to your portfolio and that you have the perfect project in mind for her that will accent her strong qualities (whatever they may be).

Everybody likes to have their ego stroked, just make sure that in your approach its not your own ego.

This thread made me rewrite my bio..

Jun 03 06 02:21 pm Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

Very well said, and I think it's generally accurate.

Too many photographers have let their egos run well ahead of the quality of their work.  Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on the situation, the images and the attitude speak for themselves.  The better and more experienced models are usually perfectly capable of judging for themselves.  Decisions are based on other things too, including whether the photographers work fills a gap in a models book.  Sometimes photographers are turned down only because their style is similar to something the model has shot recently.

A recent  case study:  A friend of mine was recently approached by three photographers on the same day, all offering TFP (probably by a lot more than three... these are the ones I heard about).  She's well known, has shot with people you've heard of, has appeared in magazines you've heard of.  All of the photographers were essentially unknown.  Their work was above average, but not yet at the level she is accustomed to working at; none of them have shot with national-level talent.  So my friend sent them rates, very reasonable rates in this case.

Two of them took it personally.  One gave her grief in several followup messages, tried to lecture her, got her upset enough that I had to spend an hour on the phone with her, calming her down... on a day when I was on deadline.

The third photographer graciously said, oh, I can't afford that, said a few nice things, and moved on.

My friend contacted the photographer who had been nice, offered her a tfp after all.  We're also going to introduce her to a few additional people.

The guy who was really rude... he probably doesn't even understand that this is the reason he was turned down by a second model a short time later.  She'd heard the story, and didn't want to deal with his attitude.  And if I ever meet him, he's going to get a piece of my mind for messing up my day.

We talk to each other, folks.  If you're respectful to a model, we hear about that.  If your ego gets in the way and you're rude to her... we hear about that, too.

Jun 03 06 02:22 pm Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Israel wrote:
Some good advice here, NC17. I'd also like to add some of my own if I may. When you find a model you'd like to shoot TFP with, examine her pics and her look, then try to envision the photographs you'd like to create with her. After you have your "vision" send her an email telling her all about it and how perfect she is for your shoot. If she likes your idea and shares your vision, then you have a match! This gets a model excited about shooting with you, and looking forward to the shoot, it also results in some great photos. Just my 2 cents.

Israel: This is what I think some photographers miss. I shot with someone recently that honestly had no idea what to do with me. I doubt he'd have had any idea what to do with any model. It ended up feeling like I was a pretty object in the middle of some green scenery, and that was rather uncomfortable for me. I often feel like photographers (particularly new photographers) don't realize that they need to provide the model with direction and clarity to gain the photographs they want. They continually end up disappointed with the photos, never achieving their desired results, not ever recognizing that were they to communicate exactly what their vision is with the model it would suddenly become clear.

I don't fault new photographers for this, its always a learning experience for everyone, and each person has to go through that at their own pace. Its just tougher on me because of my personality - I am a reflection of whatever it is that you desire. I will attempt to the best of my abilities to create whatever it is that you convey to me. I view that as my responsibility as a model. It feels rather like being the artistic canvas. I understand that deeply having been involved in art since I knew what putting a crayon to paper (or whatever surface I could find) was.

The clearer I can understand what your vision is from the beginning, the better your photographs will be. I think thats true of every situation.

Akemi brings up an excellent point: This is a marketplace. Each one of us is here to market ourselves to each other. How you do that marketing will make or break your "business." Thats what this is really all about. Your approach is how you sell yourself. Approaching someone with your ego in hand smacks of infomercial style sales... "But wait, theres more!" That should definately be left to the late night TV and not found in the casting calls.

I have to say that I am 100% humbled by this experience. I never thought that this post would have this kind of a positive response, nor did I ever dream that it would result in this many people changing how they are doing things. Its not what I intended... well, heck I suppose it sort of is. I just simply had no idea that it would actually create change. I find it gratifying to know that people are willing to listen and change when approached in a reasonable manner. I hope that it causes people to stop and consider what kind of an effect they have on others and what the possible reactions could be. Setting yourself up for success is the best way to get the results you want. And that starts with the little things.

Many thanks to all of you that have responded.

Jun 03 06 06:55 pm Link