Forums > General Industry > If you don't like it don't ask!!

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

If this is your first day on MM and you have no professional shots to speak of, don't go asking for a critique. There is nothing for anyone to constructively comment on and you will end up being told the truth, which no one seems to like. *end of rant*

Jun 02 06 10:45 am Link

Photographer

Israel Kendall

Trenton, North Carolina, US

Maybe just critique them and let them know they need some professional shots in their port?

Jun 02 06 10:48 am Link

Model

luv2bfitt

Merrimack, New Hampshire, US

"You want the truth? You can't Handle the truth...!"

Jun 02 06 10:49 am Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Claire Elizabeth wrote:
If this is your first day on MM and you have no professional shots to speak of, don't go asking for a critique. There is nothing for anyone to constructively comment on and you will end up being told the truth, which no one seems to like. *end of rant*

I disagree.  I have seen a lot of new people with bad pics in the critique section get offers from photogs in their local areas to shoot with.  As long as the person knows that they will probably get derogatory feedback with sub-par images, then it's just the exposure they will benefit from.  I say if you are new, and have a look that you have some confidence in, as well as a strong desire to model, get your camera phone out and let a friend snap some pics.  -Just doesn't expect much in the way of "great pic" comments. 

Many agencies only want to see basic snap shots of a potential model, so I don't see why it's any different here.  You got to start somewhere.  And its also really fun to see how quick people improve as they meet new photogs.

Jun 02 06 10:57 am Link

Model

VeenaJ

New York, New York, US

Claire Elizabeth wrote:

I would say, don't go asking for a critique if that's not really what you want -- whether you are new to MM or not.

Jun 02 06 11:06 am Link

Model

Suellen

Arlington, Georgia, US

Claire Elizabeth wrote:

Ha ha! I hear ya!  earlier in the week a young model from Wisconsin asked to be critiqued....
again no professional pics, but you could tell she was beautiful.
most of the critiques were to get some professional pics....AND that she indeed had a beautiful face and good stats for modeling.

The next day she took all pics off and rewrote the bio that she was 'too good for this wanna-be model site' and a few other rude remarks....
I wrote her back to let her know i was disappointed in her attitude.
I doubt she will go far with these harmless critiques!

Jun 02 06 12:42 pm Link

Model

Constance Hilory

Mobile, Alabama, US

Claire Elizabeth wrote:

After reading a few posts in the Newbie forum...I totally agree.

Jun 02 06 02:15 pm Link

Model

Crystalle L

Orlando, Florida, US

I agree with the OP. This one new girl posted in the critique forum and had basically 20 headshots taken by her. I posted a response asking what was the point of this post, but also gave some helpful advice...she of course got mad.

Jun 02 06 03:31 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Fuck all of you who don't like my shit! wink

Jun 02 06 05:59 pm Link

Model

Ryan6663

New York, New York, US

disagree some people have great snapshots you could say "you look great but you need some pro shots"  If they were ugly disregard that tho.

Jun 02 06 07:20 pm Link

Model

Ryan6663

New York, New York, US

off topic but its nice to know people actually do give honest critiques here, there is so much blowing smoke up peoples ass on this site its ridiculous.

Jun 02 06 07:22 pm Link