Forums > General Industry > why cant i get a tfcd shoot?

Photographer

removed member

Wierd.  But I can not for the life of me find the right moel for what i want to do. 

I'm not a fashion photographer, and my portfolio certinly reflects that.  But I'm looking to update my book with some new samples. 

I searched through here, looking for a model that I felt would work for me.  Every one I emailed wasn't down for tfcd.  Every...one.

Not only am I offering a cd of all the photos shot.  I will edit/retouch all the images you want.  and layout a portfolio and comp card.  I thought that sounded like a good deal.  I get samples, you get everything you need. 

And no, im not emailing kate moss, or models that dont need it.

I think every model on this site is on here to make cash.  not opportunity.  I know I paid my dues when I started.

Am I way off with this?  Is it hard luck?  Is my work that bad? www.jasonmesser.com for a more accurate view.

any suggestions/help is greatly appreciated.

Jun 01 06 02:15 pm Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

So out of all 3 responses to your casting call they all asked for $$? I think you should check your mm inbox.

Jun 01 06 02:16 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Your work is great. Maybe your requirements are too stringent for your local market?  I think that there are more models on MM doing TFP work than those asking for cash.

Jun 01 06 02:18 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Well...what are you looking to do? Because I'm right nearby and I'd gladly do TFP with you...it could be bad luck, it could be that your project is something people don't want to do for free, or it could be that you're contacting models who just don't do TFP...there are a lot of possibilities.

Jun 01 06 02:19 pm Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:
Your work is great. Maybe your requirements are too stringent for your local market?  I think that there are more models on MM doing TFP work than those asking for cash.

Definately and there are a gazillion models in philly. If there is a certain look you need (blonde, tall, blue eyes, etc) put that in your casting call.

Model

Eric J Erk

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I wouldn't mind working with you if I could mosey my way up to the Philly area

Are you shooting guys or just the ladies?

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Jason, I’m not sure why you of all photographers would have trouble finding willing models to work with.

All I can figure is it may be in the approach you’re using.
Could you enlighten us as to how you’ve asked and what demographics you’re targeting? Maybe it’s the theme you’re pitching

Or, maybe you’re just looking for attention.

Either way, props on the shots of Go-Go.

Jun 01 06 02:35 pm Link

Model

Nemesis73

Dayton, Alabama, US

I only ask for mileage or dinner for my time ... if I travel say to Mississippi to shoot with Gordon Denman then I ask for accomodations. Trust me, I know better than to think modeling is going to put a roof over my head. It's why I do it for a hobby.

Nemi

Jun 01 06 02:39 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Kennedy

Brampton, Ontario, Canada

Your stuff is great! You got me...

Gary

Jun 01 06 02:43 pm Link

Photographer

BCI Photo

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Hell, with work like that i'll shoot with you.
Shall I wear a blue or green thong?

Jun 01 06 02:46 pm Link

Photographer

dissolvegirl

Northampton, Massachusetts, US

Yeah, no kidding. I love your stuff-- especially the retro pinup stuff, I'm a sucker for that. I'd step in front of the camera for you in a heartbeat. Best of luck finding models to collaborate with. Honestly I wouldn't think you'd need it, to look at your portfolio.

Jun 01 06 02:50 pm Link

Model

Catriona

Portland, Oregon, US

I don't think all models here are out to only make cash any more than all photographers here are - although there is a certain mentality encouraged in these forums that if you're not making money, then it must be because your portfolio isn't up to snuff or you're working with the wrong people, and that TFP is a fool's choice, even if it would mean being involved in really beautiful work.

Well, screw that. If I were closer (or could afford to take time off work and travel crosscountry), I would do TFP with you in a heartbeat. Your work is great.

Jun 01 06 02:50 pm Link

Photographer

keZZasp A

Leicester, England, United Kingdom

I would like to hear opinions on this one too... I really don't know what the reasons as and i'm having a similar problem. My port is not nearly as strong as yours, i'm simply having trouble finding anyone to work with!

I don't have any cash to spare, but I am willing to travel and work towards a models idea simply for the experience to shoot with new and different people.

I know some people would feel I couldnt offer them anything, but surely not eveyone...?!

Some people show interest and fade off, and some simply don't respond at all.

I just wonder if a lot of people use MM simply to gain feedback?

Jun 01 06 02:52 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Curious as you works great,  I'd pose but unlike BCI I don't look good in a
thong.

Jun 01 06 02:52 pm Link

Photographer

removed member

thanks for the kind words.

honestly ive never listed a "casting call" until today.  i just found these forums.  (oh great another way to procrastinate)

i would search models in my area.  and email specific people pitching the shoot to them.  and really its nothing crazy.  its all straightforward.  i want to build a model portfolio that i can use to generate work.  i think the stuff im showing now doesnt best illustrate what im capable of as far as models go anyway. 

so i would email looking to do some editorial looking work, high fashion, some glamour, and some fitness.  im even offering to layout a portfolio, and comp card.

give me time....ill give you an entire book.

im not looking for any "look"  in particular.  but i need to be inspired to work with you.  follow me?  so thats why ive been "hand picking"  on my own.  we'll see how the casting call thing goes.

thanks again...

Jun 01 06 02:56 pm Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

If I were in the area, I would work with you. I myself, am having problems finding photographers to work with even if I offer to pay. Maybe I'm not asking the right ones, or being persistent enough with trying to advertise that I'm available.

Jun 01 06 03:40 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

I think every model on this site is on here to make cash.  not opportunity.

Not all... (*cough*) but many, I'm sure. smile

Besides the Casting Call forum, I'd recommend trying to find models that other photographers in your area (with similar work) have worked with.  You can ask the photographer for a reference, and ask the model to shoot.  Maybe?  I know there are a ton of alt. type models out there.

Oh, you might want to try wickedtalent.com, too.

I hunt down all my TFPs, so I might not be the best advisor on this.

Great shots of Amy, btw.  We're lucky to have her here these days. big_smile

Jun 01 06 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Longhitano

Philadelphia, Mississippi, US

Jason,

Keep plugging away they are out there but you have to be persistent. Send me a note with your email and I can give you a few leads.

rob

Jun 01 06 04:38 pm Link

Photographer

Fons Studio

Montreal, Wisconsin, US

a.) Spend the afternoon in a major mall with business cards in hand.

b.) Spot the potential model and approach her.

c.) Define your project (fashion, I assume)

d.) Ask if she is interested... usual answer... YES!

d.) Give her your card, and a few for her friends.

e.) Repeat.

Jun 01 06 04:46 pm Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

From your clarification heres the *only* problem that I see with your approach:

You seem to be offering models a "portfolio" in exchange for shooting with you. The trouble that I see with this is that most models that have been in the industry for some time don't want a portfolio. It feels rather presumptuous to be approached by a photographer and hear the words "let me improve your portfolio" or "let me build your portfolio." It gives the impression (whether right or wrongly) that you assume that the model *needs* to have her portfolio worked on, and in a round about way insults her existing work.

Instead, you might simply just approach it like it is, you'd like to expand your portfolio and would love to include her look. Offer the pictures and editing, but don't bother to include the note about how great it will make her portfolio look. What she does with the pictures is really her business. Frankly, someone telling me that they want to have me in their book for a certain look is flattering enough to get my attention. Its a turn off to have them assume that I *need* what they have to offer.

Whatever other perks you can throw in (travel expenses, small compensation, food, etc) are a positive as well. Models enjoy being treated well, and all in all, it doesn't take that much effort to do on your part.

Good luck, I hope you're able to find some models willing to shoot!

Jun 01 06 06:57 pm Link

Model

JustQuynh

Midlothian, Virginia, US

dang, too bad as far as i could go is DC or i'd def. be doing a TFP shoot with u! ur work is awesome smile

Jun 01 06 07:06 pm Link

Model

Alli Michelle

Miami, Florida, US

to bad you are so far away.I love your work.

Jun 01 06 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

removed member

NC17 wrote:

You seem to be offering models a "portfolio" in exchange for shooting with you. The trouble that I see with this is that most models that have been in the industry for some time don't want a portfolio. It feels rather presumptuous to be approached by a photographer and hear the words "let me improve your portfolio" or "let me build your portfolio." It gives the impression (whether right or wrongly) that you assume that the model *needs* to have her portfolio worked on, and in a round about way insults her existing work.

Instead, you might simply just approach it like it is, you'd like to expand your portfolio and would love to include her look. Offer the pictures and editing, but don't bother to include the note about how great it will make her portfolio look. What she does with the pictures is really her business. Frankly, someone telling me that they want to have me in their book for a certain look is flattering enough to get my attention. Its a turn off to have them assume that I *need* what they have to offer.

Whatever other perks you can throw in (travel expenses, small compensation, food, etc) are a positive as well. Models enjoy being treated well, and all in all, it doesn't take that much effort to do on your part.

this is what im talking about.  i was hoping to get some insight as to whats going on, and this is good.  i never looked at it that way.  and do not want to come off like the illest photographer on the planet, becuase im not. 

my only point was to let poeple know they arent going to walk away with one or two usable images.  i guess i need to work on my wording.

posting here was the best idea ive had all day.  thanks for your time.  i appreciate it.

Jun 01 06 07:18 pm Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

BCI Photo wrote:
Hell, with work like that i'll shoot with you.
Shall I wear a blue or green thong?

Jun 01 06 08:07 pm Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Jason,

That pic of Amy is hot.

Jun 01 06 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

To be honest, if you're using your site as drive - it's beautifully structured but annoyingly executed. I was there for 20 seconds before I just gave up.

Didn't get a chance to view one photo.

People move on

Jun 01 06 08:11 pm Link

Photographer

ImpactFoto

San Diego, California, US

NC17 wrote:

Damn.  That's brilliant...  not that I GENERALLY approach models that way, but it never occurred to me that using that approach could backlash like that!

Mental Note To Self....  Aww nuts... I keep forgetting that my mental notes are always written in disappearing ink!  ; )

Jun 01 06 08:13 pm Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Right, so...everyone already took the words out of my mouth.

Your work shouldn't have a shortage of models willing to work with you. Have you used the snifty "mile radius" browse option to get a demographic of available models? Keep plugging away (your date of signup is over a year ago, but your participation on here seems minimal. That usually contributes quite a bit, as, for good or bad, sometimes just being prolific in activity on the boards will make the difference).

Jun 01 06 08:18 pm Link

Photographer

Chris H

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

love your work sir

Jun 01 06 08:29 pm Link

Photographer

Benjamen McGuire

Portland, Oregon, US

I really dig your photos and was really amazed that you can't find tfp untill I read your credits. I may be way off but this is a big red BULLSHIT flag if I ever saw one.

=edit= I diddn't look at your website before replying. Your portfolio on here doesn't back up all those credits. Maybe put up your better work and summ up that long credit list so people don't assume like I did.

jason messer wrote:
paramount pictures
warner bros. records
mtv
vh1
tempo
def jam records
artemis records
some records
limekiln records
trustkill records
def jux records
one by one records
sony
ea sports
radiotakeover
rolling stone magazine
spin magazine
the source magazine
the source dot com
while you were sleeping magazine
official playstation magazine
gene simmons tongue magazine
alternative press
NME
maxim magazine
bust magazine (easy tiger its a progressive womens mag)
fridge
stress
milk
ALARM
billboard magazine
CMJ magazine
UTNE magazine

eye jammie - tougher than leather a tribute to run-dmc celebrating the 25th aniv. of run-dmc
a group show that has been on display in nyc, los angeles, and san francisco, and japan.

Jun 01 06 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

removed member

i guess i should.  i just cut and pasted the list form my website txt file.  and the only reason its there, is to pad my dull model portfolio. i shoot in the entertainment industry.  and i didnt want to put up that work, becuase i didnt think it was relevant to this kind of work. 

i wrote in one of my posts above how i dont think the work im showing here, best illustrates my capabilities.

but i guess i did word my initial post a little wrong.  and im probably giving the wrong idea.  its not that i cant get a tfcd shoot.  yesterday was my first time posting in these forums.  (best part of this site ive found out) 

usually i would search models in my area.  and find one i was inspired to shoot with.  i would email the offer.  and everytime i would get a nope back.  or i wouldnt hear anything.  i just got this one yesterday...

Jason.
Unless you can pay me to pose for you, I am not interested.
Thanks,
M

awesome.

i guess im just having some hard luck.  becuase everytime i find someone i would like to tfcd with.  they say no...pay me.

i need to revamp my profile and my approach i guess.  thanks everyone for your time and advice/comments.  i appreciate it.  these forums are great.

Jun 02 06 08:17 am Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

jason messer wrote:
this is what im talking about.  i was hoping to get some insight as to whats going on, and this is good.  i never looked at it that way.  and do not want to come off like the illest photographer on the planet, becuase im not. 

my only point was to let poeple know they arent going to walk away with one or two usable images.  i guess i need to work on my wording.

posting here was the best idea ive had all day.  thanks for your time.  i appreciate it.

You're most welcome, Jason.

Its very intersting to me that so often the egos that get in the way are really the photographers. And what it boils down to is the fact that people often don't think about how they come across to others. I work very hard to give people the benefit of the doubt, particularly photographers when it comes to statements like that. Its not a big deal, and I know that you don't mean it in a personal way. But understanding how it does sound to a model is important.

Flattery will get you everywhere, and telling a model you need her look for your book is a pretty high complement.

Keep at it, I am sure you'll get there soon. It sounds like you're on the right track already! (I'd shoot TFP with you if we were closer and I had the time!)

Jun 02 06 07:39 pm Link