Forums > General Industry > What about photographers?

Photographer

duds here

Chicago, Illinois, US

Models what would you like photographers to know about working with you, what can they do to make the shoot better for you?

Jun 01 06 01:14 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

CL Photography wrote:
Models what would you like photographers to know about working with you, what can they do to make the shoot better for you?

They can read my profile. smile 

I think it's important for photogs and models to share their interests and aspirations prior to shooting.  Things have a much better chance of going smoother if each party knows a little about the other's mission.

Jun 01 06 02:04 pm Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I totally have to second what the other commenter said. READ! I didn't put it there to be ignored, and it gets VERY frustrating when photographers continually ignore whats written, which wastes my time.

But beyond thats pretty much preshoot type stuff.
During a shoot its really important for me to have feedback from the photographer. The better I know and can understand *exactly* what it is that you want, the happier you'll be with your photographs. Continually encouraging me and letting me know that you're getting what you want is the best thing you can do for a model. I think that it starts with having a clear idea of what you want. And that of course comes with time and practice working behind the camera.

I once had a very frustrating shoot with a photographer where he kept giving me instructions - "move back" he'd say, and I would move whatever it was backwards, "No, no, move back" he'd repeat. I'd start to look a little clueless and move in all sorts of ways, then he'd finally say "No no! Move BACK where you were!" with an exasperated noise. Well... why didn't you say that in the first place???

Clear instructions and directions can make all the difference in the world keeping things running smoothly and the model looking and feeling great.

Jun 01 06 02:16 pm Link

Model

Heidi Brennan

VAN NUYS, California, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:
They can read my profile. smile 

I think it's important for photogs and models to share their interests and aspirations prior to shooting.  Things have a much better chance of going smoother if each party knows a little about the other's mission.

Amen! I don't know how many times I've had people contact me wanting me to do something that I clearly state in my profile that I won't do. I clearly state that I don't do TFCD. I've done it plenty of times before and have no problem with it, but I'm very selective now of who I do it with. If I don't feel it will be worth my while I won't do it.....if a photographer shows no range of style (i.e. they only have very standard, poorly lit shots and there's no evidence that my shoot with them would be any different) then I won't do it. I also say that I don't do adult work, yet people still contact me about it. So many photographers on here and on other sites have gotten so indignant with me for not wanting to do what I already say I won't do. PEOPLE NEED TO LEARN TO READ THE PROFILES OF PEOPLE THEY WANT TO WORK WITH!!!!

What else? How about respecting the model and not acting like they are doing the model a favor by being so gracious to shoot them? Most of my experiences with photographers have been great, but some photographers act as though they're God's gift to the world.......or they seem fine at first and turn into a perv partway through the shoot.

Basically, just be a nice person, and treat the model with respect.

Jun 01 06 02:52 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

San Diego, California, US

Heidi Brennan wrote:
I clearly state that I don't do TFCD. I've done it plenty of times before and have no problem with it, but I'm very selective now of who I do it with.

Perfect example of why people don't pay attention to what's written in the profile.  You say it's stated in your profile that you don't do it, then in the very next sentence admitted that you will with the right photographer.  How is the photographer supposed to know if he's someone you'd be willing to TFCD with if he doesn't ask??

Stop playing games and just be honest.

Jun 01 06 04:43 pm Link

Photographer

Fons Studio

Montreal, Wisconsin, US

Heidi Brennan wrote:

Amen! I don't know how many times I've had people contact me wanting me to do something that I clearly state in my profile that I won't do. I clearly state that I don't do TFCD. I've done it plenty of times before and have no problem with it, but I'm very selective now of who I do it with. If I don't feel it will be worth my while I won't do it.....if a photographer shows no range of style (i.e. they only have very standard, poorly lit shots and there's no evidence that my shoot with them would be any different) then I won't do it. I also say that I don't do adult work, yet people still contact me about it. So many photographers on here and on other sites have gotten so indignant with me for not wanting to do what I already say I won't do. PEOPLE NEED TO LEARN TO READ THE PROFILES OF PEOPLE THEY WANT TO WORK WITH!!!!

What else? How about respecting the model and not acting like they are doing the model a favor by being so gracious to shoot them? Most of my experiences with photographers have been great, but some photographers act as though they're God's gift to the world.......or they seem fine at first and turn into a perv partway through the shoot.

Basically, just be a nice person, and treat the model with respect.

Quite the contradiction.... I won't do TFP, but will consider it with the right photographer..... How many times have I read that ??

Or better yet. No Nudes or Implied.... then you look at her book, and it's full of them !!??

-Carlos

Jun 01 06 04:50 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

NC17 wrote:
I totally have to second what the other commenter said. READ! I didn't put it there to be ignored, and it gets VERY frustrating when photographers continually ignore whats written, which wastes my time.

Photog:  Ok, take your top off.

Model:  What?

Photog:  Yup, time for nipples!!

Model:  I don't do nudes!

Photog:  Neither do I, we're doing topless.

Model:  Uhhh...I don't do that either.

Photog:  Why else would I bring you here? (personal bedroom)

Model:  I wrote in my profile that I do not do nudes artistically or implied!!

Photog: People actually read those profiles?

Model:  Yes!!

Photog:  Well, we're not doing either of those anyhow.  This is topless!!

Model:  *Screams and storms out* I'm soooo gonna write about this on MM

Photog:  Bitch!  I'm gonna write about this on MM!

Alternate Ending on the DVD version

Model:  Ugh!!! *takes off top*

Photog:  Oh that is awesome! Yeah baby yeah!!!

Model:  Dude!! You just touched my vag!!

Photog:  I wanted to know if you were wet.  All my models keep getting wet and I wanted to know if it was because of me or because the photos are making you hot.

Model: yikes

Jun 01 06 05:04 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

DigitalCMH wrote:

Photog:  Okay, take off your top.

Model: I don't do any kind of nudes and I wrote that in my port.

Photog: Awwww, c'mon, nobody reads those, besides you've got nudes in your port.

Model: *pulls out a 9mm Glock, pulls back hammer* I said I don't do nudes!

Photog: *runs screaming* Please don't write about this on MM.......yikes

Jun 01 06 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

DigitalCMH wrote:

Photog:  Ok, take your top off.

Model:  What?

Photog:  Yup, time for nipples!!

Model:  I don't do nudes!

Photog:  Neither do I, we're doing topless.

Model:  Uhhh...I don't do that either.

Photog:  Why else would I bring you here? (personal bedroom)

Model:  *Screams and storms out* I'm soooo gonna write about this on MM

Photog:  Bitch!  I'm gonna write about this on MM!

Model:  Ugh!!! *takes off top*

Photog:  Oh that is awesome! Yeah baby yeah!!!

Model:  Dude!! You just touched my vag!!

Photog:  I wanted to know if you were wet.  All my models keep getting wet and I wanted to know if it was because of me or because the photos are making you hot.

Model: yikes

A true story; an email exchange from a couple of months ago with a model on this forum:

Models email: "I love your work and would love to do a shoot with you".

A couple of emails about logistics and a shoot date is scheduled. Email from model:  "What shoud I bring with me for the shoot?" My reply: Well, since all of my shoots are artistic nude, just bring anything you would like to have included in your pix". Models' reply, "Nude? What do you mean nude?"

My reply: Well, I do artistic nudes work and about all of the images on my site are nude. You said you loved my work, so I assumed ....". Model's reply: "I DON'T POSE NAKED FOR ANYONE, NOT EVER!", My reply: Well OK, that's fine, you don't have to, but I thought you said you "loved my work" and my work is nude. I'm a bit confused. Have you actually sen my work?"

Model's reply: "No, I just saw you post on MM." My response, "You love my work, but you have not seen it?" Model's response, (this is an actual quote), "FUCK YOU PERVERT".

I drank quite a lot that night. I may go backk to shooting scenics.

Jun 01 06 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

San Diego, California, US

I've pretty much become completely immune to the "I love your work" line.  I'll accept a compliment graciously but if you're trying to butter me up for something, you're going to have to do better than that wink

Jun 01 06 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

Eros Artist Photography

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

A true story; an email exchange from a couple of months ago with a model on this forum:

Models email: "I love your work and would love to do a shoot with you".

A couple of emails about logistics and a shoot date is scheduled. Email from model:  "What shoud I bring with me for the shoot?" My reply: Well, since all of my shoots are artistic nude, just bring anything you would like to have included in your pix". Models' reply, "Nude? What do you mean nude?"

My reply: Well, I do artistic nudes work and about all of the images on my site are nude. You said you loved my work, so I assumed ....". Model's reply: "I DON'T POSE NAKED FOR ANYONE, NOT EVER!", My reply: Well OK, that's fine, you don't have to, but I thought you said you "loved my work" and my work is nude. I'm a bit confused. Have you actually sen my work?"

Model's reply: "No, I just saw you post on MM." My response, "You love my work, but you have not seen it?" Model's response, (this is an actual quote), "FUCK YOU PERVERT".

I drank quite a lot that night. I may go backk to shooting scenics.

I've had a few of those myself......seems to come with the territory.

It doesn't just happen here. A few years ago, I advertised for nude figure models at a local university with a strong fine-arts program. (No, not SCAD - I was living in ATL at the time.) The call had the words "nude figure model" in the header, my phone number, and the link to my website.

I had at least one nearly identical exchange to Doug's.....over the phone.

Bill

Jun 01 06 05:48 pm Link