Forums > General Industry > Should the mua pose?

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

Claire Elizabeth wrote:
Im wondering then, if a mua is workin with a group of models and one model decides to do anothers models makeup is that ok? Basically is it ok to take over someone else's role or should we all just know our place on the set?

Haha!  Excellent supposition! 

People love the idea of stepping into other roles, just not having someone get into theirs.  Everyone is there to do his or her job.  Still, the photographer was the one who told her to pose.  That rests on the photographer's shoulders...

Jun 01 06 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

Max V

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Photographer should pose with the MUA together and let model take the pics...

Nude is good, naked is better.

M.

Jun 01 06 06:08 pm Link

Photographer

fotorat

Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom

"is she hot?" - Pedro (Napoleon Dynamite)

Jun 01 06 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

Is your friend a nice person?

Star

Jun 01 06 08:08 pm Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Talitha Williams wrote:

oops... I meant the MUA, not the model (hopefully she brought clothes:) )

Really does it matter what she has on for the photographer to want to shoot her?  She could have had on jeans, a T, and flips or a simple jersey dress, or a muumuu if she caught the eye of the photographer then she caught his eye....

I see your point.

My MUA doesn't dress to model (although he DOES model) when doing makeup. He's usually in something comfortable. The other MUA's that I've worked with don't necessarily dress to model, either. I guess I have been lucky enough that everyone has stayed in their respective "stations," and that I haven't had a drop dead gorgeous MUA, yet. If I did, we'd have to have our own shoot, and not piggyback on another model's time. It wouldn't seem right.

When a model brings a friend and she's cute, I try to be aware of how many pics I'm taking of the friend. I don't want to piss off THE person I'm there to shoot.

Jun 01 06 08:23 pm Link

Model

Talitha Monet

Richmond, Virginia, US

i encountered a situation where I was hired to be the mua for a shoot, the photogrpaher,hadn't met me (referral)  when I arrive and he realized that I wasn't there to model he was disappointed.  I hadn't planned on modeling so I didn't bring anything to shoot in.  every so often throughout the shoot he would ask me if i was ready to shoot yet.   I politely declined and let him know that I would make arrangements to shoot with him at another time.  mind you there were several models that were shooting with him over this 2 day period.  on the second day he asked again if I was shooting, I said not today and that we will schedule something.  he finally got me in front of the camera by asking me to stand in while he tested his lighting.  so he took about 20 frames...I made sure I had my brush in hand (this was while the model was changing)

like I said before we need the rest of the story...for all we know they could have been playing around waiting for the model to change clothes...if the mua happened to pose quickly it would be easy to get a lot of shots.   also the photogrpaher might be an avid "deleter" and it could have been that the model had more shoots initially but all the garbage ones were trashed....

who know....

i wonder if the model shared he concerns with the photographer during the shoot?

Jun 01 06 11:44 pm Link