Forums > General Industry > Models: How many shoot requests do you get?!

Photographer

Chi - Rue99 Photography

San Francisco, California, US

I've shot portfolios for some new models that subsequently added themselves to MM. Once that happens, I notice a significantly slower turn around time for their email responses.

Similarly, I'll get a friend request from a model who's just created their profile. I send a message off to them, but my message drops into a black hole. When I wander to their page, they already have dozens of tags.

So two questions for you models:

1. When you first added yourself to MM, how many shoot requests did you get within the first week or so? A few? A dozen? A score?

2. How many shoot requests do you get every week?

To avoid any semblance of bragging, models with an excessive number of shoot requests each week (one or two dozen for example) can simply say "a lot".

Jun 01 06 12:39 am Link

Model

Cristal Steverson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Rue 99 wrote:
1. When you first added yourself to MM, how many shoot requests did you get within the first week or so? A few? A dozen? A score?

2. How many shoot requests do you get every week?

To avoid any semblance of bragging, models with an excessive number of shoot requests each week (one or two dozen for example) can simply say "a lot".

A lot

Jun 01 06 12:42 am Link

Model

Constance Hilory

Mobile, Alabama, US

A lot.

Jun 01 06 12:45 am Link

Model

Pie Bear

Island Harbour, Anguilla, Anguilla

Not enough.

Jun 01 06 12:46 am Link

Model

Constance Hilory

Mobile, Alabama, US

Pie Bear wrote:
Not enough.

I find that hard to believe.

Jun 01 06 12:47 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Not that many, really.  The number varies, but these days I do not have too many people beating down my door to shoot me and those that try are typically mediocre shooters looking for TFP.  Lately, I've been looking for people who post that they have paid work and contact them. 

FYI, i'm not counting "nice work" mails and tags as requests. Only the photographers with the wherewithall to ask me directly if I'd like to work with them.

Jun 01 06 12:47 am Link

Model

Pie Bear

Island Harbour, Anguilla, Anguilla

Constance Hilory wrote:

I find that hard to believe.

Very few photographers offer me anything.  I'm stuck shooting with my stupid roommate all the damn time.

Jun 01 06 12:49 am Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

The first week I joined, about 15.  Once a week now, maybe a dozen.. But maybe two or three of those are from photographers who live far away or want me to work with them on a project I'm not willing to do.

Jun 01 06 12:50 am Link

Model

Constance Hilory

Mobile, Alabama, US

Pie Bear wrote:

Very few photographers offer me anything.  I'm stuck shooting with my stupid roommate all the damn time.

Oh yeah...that roommate of yours...must suck for you, huh? :-P

Jun 01 06 12:51 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Hmmmmm. I joined this site early enough that I did not get the 'new model' e-mails I got when I joined OMP two years ago, there just wasn't the membership here yet.

Because of my excessive posting, I am a 'personality' here, which means that I usually have to hunt down the photographers I want to shoot with and force them to shoot me.
Okay, well, I have interacted with many people here in the last year, both on the forums and in e-mails so most of the 'forcing' is consensual and based on already 'internet' knowing each other, but I get hit up on omp for paid shoots much more than here.

However, much of the most artistic and high quality work I have done has been through my networking on this site.

Jun 01 06 12:58 am Link

Photographer

Chi - Rue99 Photography

This explains a lot. Maybe I'll scurry back to begs list. ;p

Jun 01 06 01:32 am Link

Model

Catriona

Portland, Oregon, US

Lapis wrote:
However, much of the most artistic and high quality work I have done has been through my networking on this site.

I've DEFINITELY noticed that in my case, too... This site may not be the best place to find paying work either as a model or photographer, but I've found an amazing number of art photographers with gorgeous portfolios here, many of whom have sent me requests. When I joined OMP, I got about a dozen requests my first week or two, but most were from really blah, generic photographers OR sleazy glamour guys. Now I get almost no requests at all from there. I like this site better... I suspect that the fact that photographers have to pay for an account at OMP is what keeps the real artists away.

Jun 01 06 01:44 am Link

Model

Brandy

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I get quite a few but most are from out of state photographers or during times while I'm at my full time job.

I'm finally getting back into the swing of things after taking some time off during the purchase of my house so I've got a lot of new projects that I'm going to be working on. Now is the time that I would love to be getting more requests...

Jun 01 06 01:48 am Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

I get an average of one TFP shoot offer every week or two outside of my area.  One of these days I will cash in my airline mileage. smile

Jun 01 06 01:51 am Link

Model

MELissaMOORE

Fairfield, California, US

too many to keep up with! of course I only shoot on weekends!

Jun 01 06 02:01 am Link

Photographer

Chi - Rue99 Photography

Brandy wrote:
Now is the time that I would love to be getting more requests...

I have a feeling you're going to get a lot more shoot requests after making that statement.

Jun 01 06 03:12 am Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I get enough that I am able to be choosy as to which photogs I want to work with. If a photog does not shoot cormercial-wise then there's no point in working with him. Sure, some of their ideas sound cool: "I wanna put you in this gown by local designer so and so and have some dark, smoky make-up and a high chignon bun in your hair" WoW sounds cool Mr. Photog but you forgetting one thing: I won't be able to use it in my book! smile

Jun 01 06 08:27 am Link

Model

Carrie_K

Orlando, Florida, US

More then I have time to book.

Jun 01 06 08:31 am Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

When I first joined I was bombarded. On here I would say I now get about 20 a week plus the 10 a week I get from OMP. Needless to say its a lot and sometimes hard to keep up with. Its also hard to find emails on here since we cannot delete any.

Jun 01 06 08:36 am Link

Model

Crystalle L

Orlando, Florida, US

When I first joined I got a lot. But now after I have been here for a few months, I only get maybe one or two a week. sad

Jun 01 06 08:40 am Link

Model

Emily Miller

St Louis, Saskatchewan, Canada

not as many as I'd like

Jun 01 06 08:42 am Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

When I joined omp I got over 200 in 24 hours I had no clue what to do and it was crazy so I read them all and just answered the ones I wanted to work with.
I didn't join MM untill later because I was afraid of the same thing. When I joined MM I got a few welcome messages and the bookings have been slow and steady.

I also have my own website.

All in all I get about one fresh offer a day I spend about  half an hour answering emails every morning,  I answer all of them even if it is only a no thank you.

(unless they are uber creepy and  telling me they want to be my slave for a day on tribe)

Jun 01 06 10:08 am Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

...a good amount I think.. 5-8 a week.

quality not quantity right?

Jun 01 06 10:13 am Link

Model

Ryan6663

New York, New York, US

not as many any more, im very selective and i think every1 who has been around and wanted to shoot has requested me already. lol

Jun 01 06 10:13 am Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Electra T wrote:

That is so true. Its great getting a lot of request buts when you get that one from a photog who is just outta this world..all the rest don't even matter

Jun 01 06 10:23 am Link

Model

_Kimberly

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Electra T wrote:
...a good amount I think.. 5-8 a week.

About the same for me.
(+ sometimes a couple more asking me to travel to another country...)

Jun 01 06 11:22 am Link

Model

Rachel Dashae

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I get alot,but most of them from people out of state. It's all really suprising considering my height,and everything like that.

Jun 01 06 11:24 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

AJ Bella wrote:
I get enough that I am able to be choosy as to which photogs I want to work with. If a photog does not shoot cormercial-wise then there's no point in working with him. Sure, some of their ideas sound cool: "I wanna put you in this gown by local designer so and so and have some dark, smoky make-up and a high chignon bun in your hair" WoW sounds cool Mr. Photog but you forgetting one thing: I won't be able to use it in my book! smile

Still consider shooting with him/her.  Everything you shoot isn't about using
in your book.  Consider his work, style and concept and don't just think about
what you need for your book.

Jun 01 06 11:28 am Link

Model

LETITIA WINN

Chicago, Illinois, US

None really sad Wonder why....

Jun 01 06 11:28 am Link

Model

Kristina Heaps

San Jose, California, US

I got quite a few when I first signed on, but things have since slowed.

Jun 01 06 11:49 am Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I also got bombarded when I joined omp. At that point I was really new and didn't have the understanding of the business that I have now. Some of the offers were terribly sad off of omp. Is is possible to be less than a GWC? Some of them were just that bad...

I joined MM a month or so ago and have had some really decent steady work through here. I've had a bit of trouble getting some people to contact me back, but I think that happens everywhere. I also try to put myself out there so that I can be seen and noticed without being an idiot or a flake.

I wish there was more coming in, because I need the money - a six week trip to CO with no work is going to kill my budget. I really try for one shoot a weekend and maybe one during the week here and there. This weekend I have no shoots sad

We'll see what happens...

Jun 01 06 02:33 pm Link