Forums > General Industry > Shooting with Mud

Model

Leopardess Kat

Crestline, California, US

A good time ago I saw a website featuring models being shot in mud.  It looked like fun (and is probably good for the skin).  Personally I like shoots that put a spin on traditional ideas and "rules". 

Has anyone else seen this type of modeling?

May 31 06 10:06 am Link

Photographer

Dan Olek

Rochester, New York, US

I've shot a few models in studio with mud.  You must be careful.  I screened bagged topsoil to remove clumps and stones.  They may very well be sharp enuf 2 do damage.  Used a spaceheater to dry once as well.  Have fun!!

Dan

May 31 06 10:09 am Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

It is summer, don;t even think about it. I have been covered in mud, TWICE!, once for a Smasking Pumpkins Video (Bullet) the other time for a Pepsi commerical (I wish they had shot me.) The video was in the summer sun, you bake. You cake. You flake. It hurts!!!

Also how are you planning on cleaning the model off after the shoot?

Any plans on where? the mud is coming from? It could have allergins and all sorts of bad stuff in it. I remember it took DAYS to get the mud out of my hair. I wouldn't suggest this type of shoot till November at least, with a controlled mud supply from a descent MUA,

Star

May 31 06 10:11 am Link

Photographer

ImpactFoto

San Diego, California, US

One of the shots on my page was shot in mud.... and no, it wasn't from a 'controlled mud supply'...  ; )

Just a spot out in the desert that tends to flood a bit when they get some rain...  stumbled across it by accident, and then got lucky enough to find a model crazy... errr... BRAVE enough to get in it!  : D

And yeah, we came prepared with plenty of water and towels to wash her off with afterwards!

-T-

May 31 06 10:16 am Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

I was the photographer at the Tropicana in Hollywood in the late 80's and shot their Mud-Wrestling nights (among other events).

The mud was a type of clay that Spa's use and cleaned right off leaving you fresh and soft wink

So where is this desire to pose in mud coming from?

May 31 06 10:25 am Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Heh, that could be interesting.... As long as there were ample ways to clean up afterwards around I don't think I'd mind so much.

But then again, being outdoors doesn't bother me very much smile

May 31 06 12:24 pm Link

Photographer

Chi - Rue99 Photography

San Francisco, California, US

I've always thought models with some mud added nice texture to the image, which I prefer to paint. Not that I've used either, but the prep and cleanup for mud seems daunting.

Me: Be sure to clean the mud. 
Janitor:

May 31 06 12:46 pm Link

Model

Leopardess Kat

Star wrote:
It is summer, don;t even think about it. I have been covered in mud, TWICE!, once for a Smasking Pumpkins Video (Bullet) the other time for a Pepsi commerical (I wish they had shot me.) The video was in the summer sun, you bake. You cake. You flake. It hurts!!!

Also how are you planning on cleaning the model off after the shoot?

Any plans on where? the mud is coming from? It could have allergins and all sorts of bad stuff in it. I remember it took DAYS to get the mud out of my hair. I wouldn't suggest this type of shoot till November at least, with a controlled mud supply from a descent MUA,

Star

In the summer? Gods no.  I am sorry I didnt state specifics but yeah...quite obvious what happens in the sun if you are covered in mud.  Yikes! 

At any case, yeah.  I just wish I could find someone down here in SoCal who might do something like that.  I know it is kind of messy and can cover up the model but I like stuff like this.

Thanks to everyone who has posted feedback.

-Kat

Jun 05 06 03:47 am Link

Photographer

LightWorks Photography

Venice, Florida, US

I have done it many times.. Always use pottery clay! it is clean and safe. Also you can control the thickness. Make sure you have a heater because it sucks the heat right out of the model and remember to have a shower to get it off. You need to start soaking the clay at least 24 hours in advance.
Eric A.

Jun 05 06 09:19 am Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

My port has some dirt shots in it. Its actually fun but make sure a shower is available for the model!!

Jun 05 06 09:21 am Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

Arno on MM uses clay, it works great.
one tip is to make the mud out of clay with WARM water.....

Jun 05 06 09:33 am Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

Iona Lynn wrote:
Arno on MM uses clay, it works great.
one tip is to make the mud out of clay with WARM water.....

What kind of clay? The kind used in spas or somethin else?

Jun 05 06 09:35 am Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

ceramic clay the kind you make dishes out of and do pottery with.
It is clean cheep and super gooshy

Jun 05 06 09:40 am Link

Photographer

RStephenT

Vacaville, California, US

Actually did it once, completely unplanned and it went well(Model's idea).  I actually found it to be more interesting while the mud was still wet, although as it dried it just changed the appeanance of the lady.  In several of the shots there was a real primitive look to the images (the lady's hair was very very close cropped)... not sure how well it would have gone with longer hair though.

Jun 05 06 10:59 am Link

Model

Leopardess Kat

RStephenT wrote:
Actually did it once, completely unplanned and it went well(Model's idea).  I actually found it to be more interesting while the mud was still wet, although as it dried it just changed the appeanance of the lady.  In several of the shots there was a real primitive look to the images (the lady's hair was very very close cropped)... not sure how well it would have gone with longer hair though.

That sounds like fun.  See, this is what i look for. smile

Jun 05 06 06:48 pm Link

Photographer

Bill Gunter

Daytona Beach, Florida, US

I think there may be some mud wrestling here in Daytona during Bike Week and Biketoberfest.
The cole slaw wrestlers get the most publicity though.

Jun 05 06 09:03 pm Link

Photographer

Done and Gone

Chiredzi, Masvingo, Zimbabwe

I tried shooting with mud but the camera kept dripping out of my hands and the lens was not suitable for my style of photography. Went back to my old standby, bark from trees. Easier to grip!!

Jun 06 06 08:55 am Link