Forums > General Industry > experienced, accomplished models only reply please...

Photographer

ClevelandSlim

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

assuming you are an accomplished model, please define what the responsibilities of a professional and effective manager would be so more amateur models would know what to look for in a professional and effective manager.

ClevelandSlim

Jul 16 05 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

Valkyrur

Nelsonville, New York, US

money talks ....

Jul 16 05 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

ClevelandSlim

Posted by Louis Braga: 
money talks ....

so in other words... models are not going to respond to this thread for free?

damn, so many threads about bogus managers and agents.  i'd like to hear what qualities are posessed by a worthy manager, from an experienced models view...

no replies models?

ClevelandSlim

Jul 17 05 08:27 am Link

Photographer

EBAnderson

Springfield, Ohio, US

None of the experienced models I have ever shot have had  managers.

Some have agencies, but that's an entirely different matter.

Maybe no one is answering the thread because no one qualifies.

Jul 17 05 08:35 am Link

Photographer

ClevelandSlim

well, you always here photogs complain about the meddlesome boyfriend/manager... and i'm sure the bf can actual do some good with the models carreer, things that an agent would not do.  such as making sure she's working out.  checking up on her dietary plans.  seeing to it she is working on her daily responsibilities.  reminds me of what a pro fighters manager would be doing.  i would think a serious model would have one, but i can also see where a really mature model wouldn't need one, perhaps.

Jul 17 05 09:43 am Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

Posted by ClevelandSlim: 
...things that an agent would not do.  such as making sure she's working out.  checking up on her dietary plans.  seeing to it she is working on her daily responsibilities.  reminds me of what a pro fighters manager would be doing.  i would think a serious model would have one, but i can also see where a really mature model wouldn't need one, perhaps.

The things you mention (diet / work-out regime) are model responsibilities.  Agents are not babysitters, they are professionals designed to secure opportunities for like professionals.  Those seeking a degree of success with utilize a professional agency service.

Managers are also not babysitters.  Managers are professionals designed to oversee the affairs of those given the opportunity made available through the agent.  Only those that reach a certain degree of success through an agency will require management services.

Each may take on an advisory role to help guide the career, but models that confuse the functions and think a photographer is the best route for reaching success have very little understanding about how the industry actually works.

A Manager function for models is merely an Internet notion that carries no weight whatsoever in the modeling industry.  Models adding a manager role verifies the limited knowledge one has in making the attempt to gain professional recognition. 

Photographers that encourage alignment are selecting those to prey upon for their personal reasons and not the welfare of the model.  The common industry term for those is smarmy.

The one caveat is a trusted role one might play for those 17 and younger.  And for that role to be credible the selected manager should have verifiable industry contacts with no interest in the model (such as photography) other than moving them toward a professional direction. 

Jul 17 05 11:26 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by ClevelandSlim: 
assuming you are an accomplished model, please define what the responsibilities of a professional and effective manager would be so more amateur models would know what to look for in a professional and effective manager.

If I were an experienced, accomplished model, I wouldn't have a manager. I'd have an agent. That agent would have client contacts and send me on go-sees. That agent would be familiar with my market and recommend photographers to shoot with for my comp cards.

Even as an non-accomplished model, I don't have a manager. I'm unmanageable.

Jul 17 05 11:32 am Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

I'll get one of my successful model agent/managers to answer in here, hopefully he will shed some light on how it's REALLY supposed to go down.

Jul 17 05 12:20 pm Link