Forums > General Industry > African Models vs African American Models

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

DigitalCMH wrote:

I didn't say you were racist.  I accussed you of believing Americans ARE racist.  My basis on this is that you have more than once started a thread concerning Black American models vs Black models from other nations.

A hypothethis I am testing , not an accusation

May 31 06 01:58 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Garry k wrote:
I think you have taken me too literally ,,,,

Don't worry; it won't happen often. Most people won't respond to what you've actually written.

May 31 06 04:31 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

Garry k wrote:
Its not my style to be name calling ... What I really hope to achieve with these sort of questions is for all of us American , Canadian or whatever - to look at , and engage in healthy constuctive discussion of  our attitudes , values and practices ......so that we can head in a more positive direction

Yeap, like I said, people want to only scratch the surface of the issue and not dig deeper to see if it is a possibilty with an openmind because they have thier defenses up already with a judgement about what you ask or addressed. I'm referring to the photographer who just took what you said and went way out in left field with it.

to answer your questions, many 'eastern African's' sistuion/models are like many of the african american models, they have less African features than most, the narrow nose, lightskin, if be a white background or in this case with many east afriicans, Arabic mixture like a Iman. So it may be that 'exotic' look of tall, middle eastern mixed blacks that imo appeals to the main stream in thi country.

May 31 06 08:53 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Sara Beth wrote:
African has 61 teritories and 840,000,000 people...and you named three. So maybe you could say EAST African models are succesful (and even then, there are many more east African nations)...but as you've stated it, this is a gross generalization. I think the bottom line is that ethnic and minority models are under represented in the fashion industry...but this is unsuprising as those who make the rules are White Americans and Europeans and most ethnic/minority women's bodies do not conform to white standards. In some countries, being fat is a sign of wealth becuase it means you can eat. If the fashion industry had larger standards I'm sure we would see more models of color from all over the world, but then, of course, there would be more white models as well. My point is, don't use this small sample size to represent an entire continent...it doens't help you make any point other than the afromentined...we need more models of color in fashion!

You jumped the gun, without all of the needing to break down which country blah blah blah, he was making th obvious point of what most of us already know. Meaning those east african countries that we see the well known models come from.

May 31 06 09:02 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Falon wrote:
ITS JUST ABOUT BEING UNIQUE. MAYBE NO ONE HAS COME ACROSS AN AFRICAN AMERICAN WOMEN WHO IS WHAT THEY WOULD CONSIDER EXOTIC. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH BEING RACISIST FOR IF THAT WERE THE CASE NO ONE WITH AN OLIVE SKIN COMPLEXION WOLD BE RIPPING THE RUNWAY. DONT WORRY YOU WANT AN AFRICAN MODEL TO CAT WALK. I WILL BE THERE SOON.

Stop yelling. Also, as cool as that sounds, I'd like to see it happen for you, but also, like keeping hope that you will walk the runway, also keep reality in your head too and not think that all is pie in the sky because you will bump into those walls of reality, just don't walk into one and let it be it a big wake up call for you because some people can't take a reality check. Just ask models like Iman who has addressed this issue time and time again.

May 31 06 09:07 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

dee740 wrote:

There are two things at work in light of what you said. See, some of us can slim down, but still won't fit in that category. Aside from my height situation, I have been slimmer and it brings more attention to my "trouble spots". When I was a teenager and first develpoed breasts at 95 pounds, I had a DD and 40 inch hips.My legs and arms and waist are just really slim in comparison to those other extremely large things. So again, a lot of black women don't have the ability to become like Alec Wek. Secondly, for caucasians, the waif look is beneficial for their personal lives as well as the advancement of a modeling career. For black women the standards of beauty off the runway are completely different. People may praise your body on stage, but when you go home black men are looking at Buffie the Body, Melyssa Ford.Types that are considered "fat" and "ugly" on the runway.  So it's just a contradiction and I think it's hard for African American women to get away from.

that's because many of the blacks here more than likely are of sub sahara Africans, more than likely from western African countries. Northern African blacks are taller leaner and darker because of the hot climate and flatter lands that require longer legs for the long commutes. Blacks in Africans in multi africa countries have different racial builds but most are still black african traits. Just like the pigmese people, the shortest people on the planet. Africa has the tallest and shortest people on the planet. It is not uncommon to see people like Alec Wek in sudan, Eithiopia, Somilia Eygpt etc. just look at minute bol. 7'7" inches tall.

May 31 06 09:15 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Electra T wrote:
Are you serious? Most of the models who are from E-Africa were not nomads and goatherders...most of them come from urban-middle class backrounds such as Alek Wek whose family left to britain when she was 12, Iman who if i recall had doctor parents, and Liya Kebede who came from a middle-class ethiopian family. So most models who can afford to pick up and move to NY/Paris/Milan were not effected by the famines. All three countries have a pretty big population of Arabs Ethiopia specifically..so there mixing probably has more to do with it. Also in Ethiopia and these other countries from my knowledge...Stick thin figures are not found to be attractive so they are probably just as rare. But ppl there walk more, run more and eat better...in terms of fats,excess sugars

Stick figures isn't a rare thing in these countries. Sudan as an example, this is apart of their black dna, tall and many are darkskinned. Many of the sudanese were and do have nomadic tribes. The characteristic features of many of the eastern Africans are tall lean, and black. This is do to their hot climate and flat lands. They have adapted to their lands that show in thier body types. NBA player ex, Minute Bol who is from this area is stands 7' 7" inches tall. He is from a tribe and country of the tallest people on earth. Height and stick figure is actually apart of their culture. and in places like Nigeria where Hakeem Oluguwon is from, some won't marry short women. Hakeem rejected one of his old girlfriends because height was a must in his family as he had stated years ago he want his children to be tall.

May 31 06 09:29 am Link

Model

Ms Sharmaine

Detroit, Michigan, US

Sara Beth wrote:

African has 61 teritories and 840,000,000 people...and you named three. So maybe you could say EAST African models are succesful (and even then, there are many more east African nations)...but as you've stated it, this is a gross generalization. I think the bottom line is that ethnic and minority models are under represented in the fashion industry...but this is unsuprising as those who make the rules are White Americans and Europeans and most ethnic/minority women's bodies do not conform to white standards. In some countries, being fat is a sign of wealth becuase it means you can eat. If the fashion industry had larger standards I'm sure we would see more models of color from all over the world, but then, of course, there would be more white models as well. My point is, don't use this small sample size to represent an entire continent...it doens't help you make any point other than the afromentined...we need more models of color in fashion!

Amen!

May 31 06 09:32 am Link

Model

Christina Ilise

Saint Albans, New York, US

DigitalCMH wrote:

I didn't say you were racist.  I accussed you of believing Americans ARE racist.  My basis on this is that you have more than once started a thread concerning Black American models vs Black models from other nations.

So would his assumption be wrong? Are Americans not racist?

May 31 06 11:01 am Link

Model

Christina Ilise

Saint Albans, New York, US

Why is it that black models have to be so exotic and different looking while white models can be plain janes? There are some really beautiful white models but if when I go on some agency websites or watch fashion shows I notice that the many of them aren't very striking. They just look like regular blonde white chicks to me.

May 31 06 11:05 am Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Christina Ilise wrote:
Why is it that black models have to be so exotic and different looking while white models can be plain janes? There are some really beautiful white models but if when I go on some agency websites or watch fashion shows I notice that the many of them aren't very striking. They just look like regular blonde white chicks to me.

As black ppl we always have to be something extra. c'mon girlll.

May 31 06 11:22 am Link

Model

Sara Beth

New York, New York, US

Legacys 7 wrote:

You jumped the gun, without all of the needing to break down which country blah blah blah, he was making th obvious point of what most of us already know. Meaning those east african countries that we see the well known models come from.

the second sentence here, and your main point, is not understandable. when you say something that is a complete sentence, i will respond to it.

May 31 06 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Legacys 7 wrote:

Stick figures isn't a rare thing in these countries. Sudan as an example, this is apart of their black dna, tall and many are darkskinned. Many of the sudanese were and do have nomadic tribes. The characteristic features of many of the eastern Africans are tall lean, and black. This is do to their hot climate and flat lands. They have adapted to their lands that show in thier body types. NBA player ex, Minute Bol who is from this area is stands 7' 7" inches tall. He is from a tribe and country of the tallest people on earth. Height and stick figure is actually apart of their culture. and in places like Nigeria where Hakeem Oluguwon is from, some won't marry short women. Hakeem rejected one of his old girlfriends because height was a must in his family as he had stated years ago he want his children to be tall.

that's interesting.....wasnt I once condemend to hell for suggesting that ethnic traits and commonalities are passable through DNA/genetics by you? LOL

May 31 06 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Christina Ilise wrote:

So would his assumption be wrong? Are Americans not racist?

Some are.  Most are not.  Are you?

May 31 06 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Sara Beth wrote:
the second sentence here, and your main point, is not understandable. when you say something that is a complete sentence, i will respond to it.

it'll be my pleasure.

The op poster really didn't need to be politically correct because the clarification was already there. the reason why the op stated eastern africa is because the models that we currently see in magazines and t.v are coming from the eastern african countries.

My point to you is that there is a time a place to try to politically correct another about how many people there are in africa and cultures. I'm sure that the original poster know this and that your point really is irrelevant. Ok, now your question is answered.

May 31 06 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

images by elahi wrote:

that's interesting.....wasnt I once condemend to hell for suggesting that ethnic traits and commonalities are passable through DNA/genetics by you? LOL

E Image,

if you are condemend, you bring on yourself. If anything, I've backed you up on damn near everything that you have addressed. The last thing that I'm going to do on here is get into a piss match with someone that I don't agree with. I don't recall nor deny the conversation, but I deny condeming you.

May 31 06 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Kevin Connery wrote:

Don't worry; it won't happen often. Most people won't respond to what you've actually written.

But you felt some need to

Jun 01 06 12:23 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Legacys 7 wrote:
Yeap, like I said, people want to only scratch the surface of the issue and not dig deeper to see if it is a possibilty with an openmind because they have thier defenses up already with a judgement about what you ask or addressed. I'm referring to the photographer who just took what you said and went way out in left field with it.

to answer your questions, many 'eastern African's' sistuion/models are like many of the african american models, they have less African features than most, the narrow nose, lightskin, if be a white background or in this case with many east afriicans, Arabic mixture like a Iman. So it may be that 'exotic' look of tall, middle eastern mixed blacks that imo appeals to the main stream in thi country.

Good points - middle America likes blacks with white features ( and of course their skin not too dark )?

Jun 01 06 12:23 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Garry k wrote:

Good points - middle America likes blacks with white features ( and of course their skin not too dark )?

yeap, but let's take a model like Alec Wek as an example of someone who is the opposite. dark, skinny, full lips and very short hair, something that for many years white america and black american viewed as unattractie and still do because of our disillusioned minds of what beauty should be and is. Anyways, both a lady friend and I agree with, Alec is a more of a fad. it's called a prespective beauty, a beauty that only so many will view as attractive, BUT she is unique, no, not unique that she is different from most on this planet because her look is a common one in her country, but unique in the modeling world because you don't see her type. this stands out, it is different, bottomline, she's a good marketing tool for those who use her for this marketing game.  here's the funny part about that. some will say, hey she's getting paid so she's not being used. well my answer to that is, monkies get rewards too, but that doesn't mean that they are special, they are just serving a purpose for the person over them.

Jun 01 06 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

David Johnson

Fayetteville, Arkansas, US

Just a thought, but really there is no such thing as an African American, unless you were born in Africa and raised in America or the other way around. I am considered Caucasian or White, but my race is Italian. I do not call myself Italian, because none of my family has been from there in well over a 100 years. We can say the same for most of the Blacks in America. Jesse Jackson (A self-righteous idiot) wants his race to be known as African American. J.C. Watts and Alan Keys (2 true respectable Black men) says that they are Black not African American. Jesse Jackson son has denounced his Father's beliefs and stand for the Black man. Bill Cosby is another man who stand for the Black man, not African Americans. As I said before, this is just a thought.....

Jun 01 06 01:28 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rhonda M

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Rue 99 wrote:
1. There's a lot more blacks in Africa than in the Americas, so isn't this question is like asking:

"Why does China have so many more Chinese restaurants than the US?"

2. Blacks and other ethnic groups are *overrepresented* in the US modeling industry, and Caucasions are unrepresented.

http://www.newmodels.com/race.html

WHAT??!!  Did you say that caucasians are unrepresented?  Please tell me that you were kidding???

Jun 01 06 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

Garry k wrote:

But you felt some need to

Merely to reassure you that it wouldn't be a frequent occurrence from most readers. smile

Jun 01 06 02:18 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

Legacys 7 wrote:
yeap, but let's take a model like Alec Wek as an example of someone who is the opposite. dark, skinny, full lips and very short hair, something that for many years white america and black american viewed as unattractie and still do because of our disillusioned minds of what beauty should be and is.

What, then, is the "official" beauty?

You indicated (all black and white) Americans have no illusions and feel Alec's looks are unattractive. What "real" definition/usage/whatever of "real" beauty do you believe to be legitimate? Since you're castigating an entire population for their views on it, you must have some clear view of the "reality".

Jun 01 06 02:24 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rhonda M

Baltimore, Maryland, US

One thing that I believe a lot of you are losing sight of is this:

1.  This is a beauty driven industry.  Beauty is so different from a designers, photographers, agents, etc. eye. 

It should not even be about race or cultural background!  Certain cultures have distinct looks and features that another will not have...BIG DEAL.  Everything is not for everybody.  There are so many different avenues for every model and of course, every avenue is not as welcoming to every type of model, whether that be skin color, hair length or body type. 

A lot of people in the "local" industries don't even realize that most models that appear "white" are not caucasian per say.  Most of the successful models in the industry are not even from America whether their skin is white or black. Wake up people.  A lot of models are from Brazil, Yukoslavia, Spain, London and the list goes on and on. 

I am a full-figured model and I have had my share of struggles and rejects but it is not something I am wining about.  Some day, a door will open for me and if it doesn't then it was not meant for me.  Let's not make everything about race and culture.  I have managed models and at certain times we recruited a certain look that may have fallen into a certain culture.  Is that being racist?? HELL NO. 

If models can't accept things like this, then they should not be modeling.

Jun 01 06 02:25 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

David Johnson wrote:
Just a thought, but really there is no such thing as an African American, unless you were born in Africa and raised in America or the other way around. I am considered Caucasian or White, but my race is Italian. I do not call myself Italian, because none of my family has been from there in well over a 100 years. We can say the same for most of the Blacks in America. Jesse Jackson (A self-righteous idiot) wants his race to be known as African American. J.C. Watts and Alan Keys (2 true respectable Black men) says that they are Black not African American. Jesse Jackson son has denounced his Father's beliefs and stand for the Black man. Bill Cosby is another man who stand for the Black man, not African Americans. As I said before, this is just a thought.....

A thought, but another irrelevant thought. What does this have to do with the topic and question that is asked by the op? If you too are going to try to be poltically correct on who and what should be define as classification and race, mayhaps you should also politically correct the Italian part that you define as a race. Italian isn't a race, this also falls up under the same category of 'no such thing'. But there is such a thing called Italian and African Americans. Italian is a name that was and is gave to define one's ethnicity, which also applies to African Americans. For African Americans, the term is used because many blacks don't know exactly where thier origins are via country. So to have the lable black isn't really an indentity, but a way to define one soley by race. Yeah those who chose to do this, that's their thing. But regardless of the definition, blacks here are African or African mixed, just like you have indentified with your Italian roots, regardless of the 100 years of not being there, which also gives you an advantage and makes it so easy for you to address all of this because you have a place that you can indentify with and not the unknown. Big difference.

Jun 01 06 02:29 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rhonda M

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Legacys 7 wrote:

A thought, but another irrelevant thought. What does this have to do with the topic and question that is asked by the op? If you too are going to try to be poltically correct on who and what should be define as classification and race, mayhaps you should also politically correct the Italian part that you define as a race. Italian isn't a race, this also falls up under the same category of 'no such thing'. But there is such a thing called Italian and African Americans. Italian is a name that was and is gave to define one's ethnicity, which also applies to African Americans. For African Americans, the term is used because many blacks don't know exactly where thier origins are via country. So to have the lable black isn't really an indentity, but a way to define one soley by race. Yeah those who chose to do this, that's their thing. But regardless of the definition, blacks here are African or African mixed, just like you have indentified with your Italian roots, regardless of the 100 years of not being there, which also gives you an advantage and makes it so easy for you to address all of this because you have a place that you can indentify with and not the unknown. Big difference.

THANKS LEGACY! You cleared that right up!!! Said so perfectly and eloquently...

Jun 01 06 02:31 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Kevin Connery wrote:

You indicated (all black and white) Americans have no illusions and feel Alec's looks are unattractive. What "real" definition/usage/whatever of "real" beauty do you believe to be legitimate? Since you're castigating an entire population for their views on it, you must have some clear view of the "reality".

Before you bust a vien, go back and re-read my post. Nowhere in my post did I generalize an entire country. What I did addressed was the issues and fact that do exist in this country on definition of beauty. Your other question of 'what definition of real beauty do I believe is legitimate', really is not a question to answer because that wasn't my point. Nor did I try to make the point on what should be legit. 

My point was obvious, society for many years in this country, both black and whites have viewed Alec Wek's looks as unattractive and many out here still do. Fairskin whites and lightskin blacks is what was beautiful for the black community for years just like fairskin and blonde hair was and is still define as beauty regardless of the diversity that we see in magazines. Hell, I've read some of those same insecurities by some models on here.

No, I stated that blacks and whites in this country have been mislead and mislead themselves on what is attractive and what isn't.

Jun 01 06 02:46 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

Kevin Connery wrote:
You indicated (all black and white) Americans have no illusions and feel Alec's looks are unattractive.

What "real" definition/usage/whatever of "real" beauty do you believe to be legitimate? Since you're castigating an entire population for their views on it, you must have some clear view of the "reality".

Legacys 7 wrote:
Before you bust a vien, go back and re-read my post. Nowhere in my post did I generalize an entire country.

I did. You did (see below). No big deal, really. I was just curious as to how you determined they'd been mislead, since that requires some "correct" view to be led away from.

Legacys 7 wrote:
No, I stated that blacks and whites in this country have been mislead and mislead themselves on what is attractive and what isn't.

Disillusion is being free from illusion, not the presence of it.

FWIW, if you agree that you "stated blacks and whites in this country have been ...", how can you say you didn't generalize an entire country? (Original citation: "...white america and black american viewed as unattractie..."

Jun 01 06 03:13 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Kevin Connery wrote:

Merely to reassure you that it wouldn't be a frequent occurrence from most readers. smile

I dont require the reassurrance of strangers , just intellegent contributions to my post

Jun 01 06 03:27 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Rhonda McLendon wrote:

WHAT??!!  Did you say that caucasians are unrepresented?  Please tell me that you were kidding???

Yeah , please tell us that you are kidding....

Jun 01 06 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Kevin Connery wrote:

Kevin Connery wrote:
You indicated (all black and white) Americans have no illusions and feel Alec's looks are unattractive.

What "real" definition/usage/whatever of "real" beauty do you believe to be legitimate? Since you're castigating an entire population for their views on it, you must have some clear view of the "reality".

Legacys 7 wrote:
Before you bust a vien, go back and re-read my post. Nowhere in my post did I generalize an entire country.

I did. You did (see below). No big deal, really. I was just curious as to how you determined they'd been mislead, since that requires some "correct" view to be led away from.

Legacys 7 wrote:

Disillusion is being free from illusion, not the presence of it.

FWIW, if you agree that you "stated blacks and whites in this country have been ...", how can you say you didn't generalize an entire country? (Original citation: "...white america and black american viewed as unattractie..."

Ok,

'disillusion' that was my typo. But what I meant was mislead. Now as for all of the specifics that you need for me to clarify, unless you are a 5 year old kid, there isn't a need to clarify this. You have common sense, well I take that back, hopefully you have some common sense, many on here do have enough common sense and do realize that my statement wasn't a generalized statement. Now if I said blacks and whites as a whole or entire in this country, then you'd have a 'legit' point. So while you try to lock on that target, it is has been clarified. But if you want to lock in on this and read into it, knock yourself out. The point and fact has already been addressed by me.

Jun 01 06 03:32 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Legacys 7 wrote:

yeap, but let's take a model like Alec Wek as an example of someone who is the opposite. dark, skinny, full lips and very short hair, something that for many years white america and black american viewed as unattractie and still do because of our disillusioned minds of what beauty should be and is. Anyways, both a lady friend and I agree with, Alec is a more of a fad. it's called a prespective beauty, a beauty that only so many will view as attractive, BUT she is unique, no, not unique that she is different from most on this planet because her look is a common one in her country, but unique in the modeling world because you don't see her type. this stands out, it is different, bottomline, she's a good marketing tool for those who use her for this marketing game.  here's the funny part about that. some will say, hey she's getting paid so she's not being used. well my answer to that is, monkies get rewards too, but that doesn't mean that they are special, they are just serving a purpose for the person over them.

Saw an interview with Alek a few years back . Even she thought initally  that her presence in the fashion world was going to be just a fad . But has succeeded , adn  clearly has staying power .The fashion world needs more Alek Weks ( diverse ethnic looks )  wherever in the World they come from

Jun 01 06 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Garry k wrote:

Saw an interview with Alek a few years back . Even she thought initally  that her presence in the fashion world was going to be just a fad . But has succeeded , adn  clearly has staying power .The fashion world needs more Alek Weks ( diverse ethnic looks )  wherever in the World they come from

oh i have no doubts about her longevity in this, but like I said, she's still a fad because she's unique in this business, she stands out, this would explain the longevity. now if her look was a typical look in this country she wouldn't be there.

I'm looking at it also from a marketing point of view, something that was once taboo and economic risk is now a thing to jump on because it is not what many in this country or industry see as the 'norm'. the typical blonde, white women or even black models from this country. But if it bring in something that may be controversy or different to get the viewers attention, then you have the strong possibility of having a market, but it's a niche market. To many Alec Weks look would defeat the purpose.

We live in different times now. There was a time that black dollars wasn't good enough. no matter how much money blacks made, but when times and the economy changed, suddenly black dollars became just as valuable as the white dollar. This is relevant to Alec Wek, because what was viewed in this country as ugly for many decades is now a market strategy.

Jun 01 06 04:12 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rhonda M

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Legacys 7 wrote:

oh i have no doubts about her longevity in this, but like I said, she's still a fad because she's unique in this business, she stands out, this would explain the longevity. now if her look was a typical look in this country she wouldn't be there.

I'm looking at it also from a marketing point of view, something that was once taboo and economic risk is now a thing to jump on because it is not what many in this country or industry see as the 'norm'. the typical blonde, white women or even black models from this country. But if it bring in something that may be controversy or different to get the viewers attention, then you have the strong possibility of having a market, but it's a niche market. To many Alec Weks look would defeat the purpose.

We live in different times now. There was a time that black dollars wasn't good enough. no matter how much money blacks made, but when times and the economy changed, suddenly black dollars became just as valuable as the white dollar. This is relevant to Alec Wek, because what was viewed in this country as ugly for many decades is now a market strategy.

Legacy, please put your hand up to your computer screen because I am HI-FIVING you right now!! Everything you said is absolutely true and as I stated before everyone's takes on beauty changes like the weather these days.  Everything, in and out, of the modeling industry is a marketing strategy.  We would not survive if it were not. 

And one thing that I have noticed is that when having or engaging in a debate/heated discussion, all of a sudden your words become "oh so damn literal!!"  Expect that from now on!!

Jun 01 06 04:25 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Rhonda McLendon wrote:
Legacy, please put your hand up to your computer screen because I am HI-FIVING you right now!! Everything you said is absolutely true and as I stated before everyone's takes on beauty changes like the weather these days.  Everything, in and out, of the modeling industry is a marketing strategy.  We would not survive if it were not. 

And one thing that I have noticed is that when having or engaging in a debate/heated discussion, all of a sudden your words become "oh so damn literal!!"  Expect that from now on!!

Smiling, trust me I know. And this is why I chose not to debate but try to make as much sense as possible. A fool will try to argue with you just to get aay from the point by isolating certain things even when it has been clarified. But that is ok, I'm not going to let it rule my world nor will my world fall apart because unlike some on here, I'm not obsessed with this. I give you a Hi-Five back.

You also noticed that while the debator was so focused on the generalization that 'he' saw, he still didn't read the entire posting. If he did he would've saw that I had addressed 'that only so many will view Alec as attractive'. You can't generalize if that point is in the paragraph.

Jun 01 06 07:07 pm Link

Model

Sara Beth

New York, New York, US

Legacys 7 wrote:

it'll be my pleasure.

The op poster really didn't need to be politically correct because the clarification was already there. the reason why the op stated eastern africa is because the models that we currently see in magazines and t.v are coming from the eastern african countries.

My point to you is that there is a time a place to try to politically correct another about how many people there are in africa and cultures. I'm sure that the original poster know this and that your point really is irrelevant. Ok, now your question is answered.

i disagree...I wasn't just being politically correct, as you were so quick to assume. The OP was using three people to represent an entire culture which is an unfounded way to make a point, as much as using Tyra to represent all black american models would be. I was using the fact that this number is such a small fraction of people in africa (let alone potential, undiscovered models) to point out that models of color, in general, are under represented. I suggest you actually read and understand my point before criticizing it next time. I also suggest that you respond in ways that are intellegable so that we may continue a discussion in a timely way. Thanks. But that aside, I've made my point and my discussion on this matter is over.

Jun 01 06 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Sara Beth wrote:

i disagree...I wasn't just being politically correct, as you were so quick to assume. The OP was using three people to represent an entire culture which is an unfounded way to make a point, as much as using Tyra to represent all black american models would be. I was using the fact that this number is such a small fraction of people in africa (let alone potential, undiscovered models) to point out that models of color, in general, are under represented. I suggest you actually read and understand my point before criticizing it next time. I also suggest that you respond in ways that are intellegable so that we may continue a discussion in a timely way. Thanks. But that aside, I've made my point and my discussion on this matter is over.

Sara,

stop acting like a damn kid. If I were out to get in your ass on something, you'd know. There you go getting paranoid agian. Look, I disagreed with you and kept this civil, people do, do this. you chose to read what you wanted to read and got over sensitive. And if I was out to make this an argument, then I wouldn't have agreed with you and Lawrence on another post by backing you up. Get a grip and get a clue. And my point still stands. over and out to you too, good buddy.

Jun 01 06 07:29 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

Legacys 7 wrote:
Now as for all of the specifics that you need for me to clarify, unless you are a 5 year old kid, there isn't a need to clarify this. You have common sense, well I take that back, hopefully you have some common sense, many on here do have enough common sense and do realize that my statement wasn't a generalized statement. Now if I said blacks and whites as a whole or entire in this country, then you'd have a 'legit' point. So while you try to lock on that target, it is has been clarified. But if you want to lock in on this and read into it, knock yourself out. The point and fact has already been addressed by me.

That's clear enough: you didn't mean what you said, and you hadn't said what you meant.

No worries.

Legacys 7 wrote:
stop acting like a damn kid. If I were out to get in your ass on something, you'd know. There you go getting paranoid agian. Look, I disagreed with you and kept this civil, people do, do this. you chose to read what you wanted to read and got over sensitive.

Jun 01 06 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

Zubilon

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

dee740 wrote:

There are two things at work in light of what you said. See, some of us can slim down, but still won't fit in that category. Aside from my height situation, I have been slimmer and it brings more attention to my "trouble spots". When I was a teenager and first develpoed breasts at 95 pounds, I had a DD and 40 inch hips.My legs and arms and waist are just really slim in comparison to those other extremely large things. So again, a lot of black women don't have the ability to become like Alec Wek. Secondly, for caucasians, the waif look is beneficial for their personal lives as well as the advancement of a modeling career. For black women the standards of beauty off the runway are completely different. People may praise your body on stage, but when you go home black men are looking at Buffie the Body, Melyssa Ford.Types that are considered "fat" and "ugly" on the runway.  So it's just a contradiction and I think it's hard for African American women to get away from.

100% agree with you. Life is full of nonsense. Designers want a stick on the runway because it is easier to dress but men in the bedroom want curve because is more fun to play with. So please our lovers or please your designers...

Jun 01 06 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Kevin Connery wrote:

Legacys 7 wrote:
Now as for all of the specifics that you need for me to clarify, unless you are a 5 year old kid, there isn't a need to clarify this. You have common sense, well I take that back, hopefully you have some common sense, many on here do have enough common sense and do realize that my statement wasn't a generalized statement. Now if I said blacks and whites as a whole or entire in this country, then you'd have a 'legit' point. So while you try to lock on that target, it is has been clarified. But if you want to lock in on this and read into it, knock yourself out. The point and fact has already been addressed by me.

That's clear enough: you didn't mean what you said, and you hadn't said what you meant.

No worries.

Lol @ you shaking my head and smiling.

Jun 01 06 09:08 pm Link