Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Someone asked me to check out their port. I was thrilled, because I'm a big fan of a good wine. Imagine my disappointment when they meant their portfolio.

I realize that everything is slowly getting abbreviated to hell, but come on! Port?!

Isn't that taking it a little too far?

No, likely not.

At the risk of being snooty, I weep for the future, Ferris.

May 28 06 08:29 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

Port is common, and not too bad...tog on the other hand...

May 28 06 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I agree Christophertongue

May 28 06 08:35 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Sure, but if I walked into an agency and said, "hey, did you see that last port?" I'd likely get smacked.

I dunno, maybe I'm becoming that cranky old man on the corner.

May 28 06 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
I agree Christophertongue

Oh, the irony! I tried to sign up as "Christopher" and it wouldn't let me! Too many characters! But check it out, you'll find everything I brand says "Christopher."

Sweet, sweet irony!

May 28 06 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Chris Ambler wrote:

Oh, the irony! I tried to sign up as "Christopher" and it wouldn't let me! Too many characters! But check it out, you'll find everything I brand says "Christopher."

Sweet, sweet irony!

Huh, it should fit.  There's a 23 character limit. I can change it if you like.

May 28 06 08:54 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

Huh, it should fit.  There's a 23 character limit. I can change it if you like.

Absolutely. If you could change it to "Christopher Ambler" that would be fantastic. I swear, when I signed up, it wouldn't take that many characters (I did sign up pretty darn early - I'm #140 :-))

May 28 06 08:56 pm Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

Chris Ambler wrote:
Someone asked me to check out their port. I was thrilled, because I'm a big fan of a good wine. Imagine my disappointment when they meant their portfolio.

I realize that everything is slowly getting abbreviated to hell, but come on! Port?!

No, likely not.

I don't anyone really uses this as an abbreviation outside of forums like this. It's just that people don't really want to write out the word over and over again beng that it's such a common word here - that's all.

No real big deal to me.

May 28 06 08:57 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Christopher Ambler wrote:

Absolutely. If you could change it to "Christopher Ambler" that would be fantastic. I swear, when I signed up, it wouldn't take that many characters (I did sign up pretty darn early - I'm #140 :-))

Poof.  You're a Christopher.

May 28 06 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

You need to do some TFP to fill up your port, but you should test in order to build your book.

I find the word portfolio clunky and annoying.  smile

May 28 06 09:02 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

I can't stand that one either.

If you think my port is great, you should see my starboard!

May 28 06 09:04 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

Sounds like it's time to move "port" into the dreaded PREDICATE category, establishing forever its abuse of the English language and confuse computer programmers like me who do so legitimately when moving from one system to another.

"I send the model her shots but she did not port them."
"I ported that shot but it didn't get any views so I added an 18+ tag and it got 200."
"Dear model, I would like to port you sometime TFCD. --Tog"

wink

May 29 06 12:15 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Yeah!  Let's verb it!

May 29 06 12:54 am Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

Hey Chris......as a fellow tog I do not see the prob with the word port. Contact a mod if you have a prob.
Just playing around by the way!
Thomas

May 29 06 12:59 am Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

This thread made me laugh.  Starboard.  Ha.  What's really funny to me is that the abbreviations are starting to become things that people actually say.  Has anyone ever clocked how long it takes to say "makeup artist," versus, "em-you-ay?"

May 29 06 01:05 am Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Shyly wrote:
This thread made me laugh.  Starboard.  Ha.  What's really funny to me is that the abbreviations are starting to become things that people actually say.  Has anyone ever clocked how long it takes to say "makeup artist," versus, "em-you-ay?"

I've got to be honest, I never say "TFP," I say "trade." I never say "portfolio," I say "book."

True, one tends to use the terms that one learns first, but still, when you start using "Internet terms" and abbreviations in daily conversation with non-Internet industry types, they just look at you funny (at best).

I am unashamedly an Internet-based photographer, and enjoy the friends and contacts I've made. On the other hand, I also interface with non-Internet folk, and the difference in terminology is rather eye-opening.

Not a rant, just an observation, with a grin.

May 29 06 01:09 am Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Yeah, I'd rather see "port" than "tog" or "photog".

May 29 06 03:10 am Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

No, likely not.

Mmm...started on Benjamin's, got a nice 10 year aged Cockburn's over the holidays...but have yet to restock my stash of KWV. Tawnies, preferably...but I did rather enjoy the Sandeman's Ruby I had a while back.

May 29 06 03:37 am Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Nihilus wrote:
Mmm...started on Benjamin's, got a nice 10 year aged Cockburn's over the holidays...but have yet to restock my stash of KWV. Tawnies, preferably...but I did rather enjoy the Sandeman's Ruby I had a while back.

To wine snob, or to not wine snob? :-)

Let's just say that most of those brands, the ones you can find on the shelf of any local store, are great entry-drugs to the world of port, in my opinion.

(honest, I'm not being a wine snob - but the best wine I've had, you can't really get outside of a specialty importer or actually going to the region)

May 29 06 12:59 pm Link

Model

A.Fox

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

If anyone here has studied English history you know that for the most part, NATIVE English words are one syllable so it's only natural that we look to chop up those that aren't. Sometimes it's sexy, and sometimes... it comes out like 'tog'.

May 29 06 01:06 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

I am unashamedly an Internet-based photographer, and enjoy the friends and contacts I've made. On the other hand, I also interface with non-Internet folk, and the difference in terminology is rather eye-opening.

Not a rant, just an observation, with a grin.

*smoooches christopher*
Iona Lynn, the internet whore

May 29 06 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Iona Lynn wrote:
*smoooches christopher*

Waitaminnute... if I run the Internet, and you're its whore, does that make me...

um...

no, let's not go there :-)

May 29 06 01:18 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

theda wrote:
I can't stand that one either.

If you think my port is great, you should see my starboard!

Personally I'm a big fan of your aft.

May 29 06 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

To wine snob, or to not wine snob? :-)

Let's just say that most of those brands, the ones you can find on the shelf of any local store, are great entry-drugs to the world of port, in my opinion.

(honest, I'm not being a wine snob - but the best wine I've had, you can't really get outside of a specialty importer or actually going to the region)

That's why I keep my day job as a specialty importer
I can have my photographs and my 1977 Dow's  smile

May 29 06 06:33 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Iona Lynn wrote:
*smoooches christopher*

Waitaminnute... if I run the Internet, and you're its whore, does that make me...

um...

no, let's not go there :-)

Absolutely not.  I'd hate to see you lose your best model due to divorce.
She's probably get half your port, too, and I don't mean your pics.

May 29 06 06:34 pm Link