Forums > General Industry > "Randy Lee" succumbs to cancer

Photographer

Michael McGowan

Tucson, Arizona, US

Randy Searle, or "Randy Lee" on glamour sites, has died of cancer.
https://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=7219

I'm getting the information about his passing second hand, but it's from several reputable sources, including people close to him inside the photographic industry.
Randy was a close friend to many models on this site and had won numerous awards for his work.

After a massive organ failure about three years ago, he rebounded to produce some of his best work ever. Sadly, his melanoma was not discovered until it was untreatable, and he died just a few weeks after diagnosis.

As somebody who sporadically corresponded with Randy, I'll miss him. He always had a kind word for people and did a lot to help others.

May 28 06 07:19 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

Condolences.
Cancer is a bitch.

May 28 06 07:28 pm Link

Photographer

Michael McGowan

Tucson, Arizona, US

Katie, I had the same kind of cancer that killed Randy just over 30 years ago. And the same cancer killed my father.

Melanoma, if caught early, is easily treatable, making those deaths even more tragic.

May 28 06 07:50 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Michael McGowan wrote:
Randy Searle, or "Randy Lee" on glamour sites, has died of cancer.
https://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=7219

I'm getting the information about his passing second hand, but it's from several reputable sources, including people close to him inside the photographic industry.
Randy was a close friend to many models on this site and had won numerous awards for his work.

After a massive organ failure about three years ago, he rebounded to produce some of his best work ever. Sadly, his melanoma was not discovered until it was untreatable, and he died just a few weeks after diagnosis.

As somebody who sporadically corresponded with Randy, I'll miss him. He always had a kind word for people and did a lot to help others.

Thank you for the link. I never had the oportunity to see his work prior to now and I must say it is beautiful.

May 28 06 07:54 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Michael McGowan wrote:
Katie, I had the same kind of cancer that killed Randy just over 30 years ago. And the same cancer killed my father.

Melanoma, if caught early, is easily treatable, making those deaths even more tragic.

What do you look for to catch it early?

May 28 06 07:55 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographic Aspirations

Long Beach, California, US

The passing of such talent is a loss not only to the photographic community, but to many new models that will never have the chance to shoot with someone of this caliber. Not only was he an outstanding photographer, but a gentleman.

It is not the things you use or take in this life that have merit, but what you leave behind and in this case like all skilled craftsman he has left us a wonderful body of work for all of us to measure our work against.

My regards to his family and friends,

Frank
Fotographic Aspirations

May 28 06 08:02 pm Link

Photographer

The Digital Difference

Lakewood, New Jersey, US

Mike Cummings wrote:
What do you look for to catch it early?

I'll take my photographer hat off and put my doctors cap back on.....and it's the weekend and the office is closed.....

There are many things to look for regarding melanoma:

1.) a lesion / "mole" larger than 1 cm.

2.) a lesion / "mole" that is NOT symmetric - in that you couldn't fold it in half and have two sides match.

3.) a lesion / "mole" that DOESN'T have hair folicles.

4.) a lesion / "mole" thats NOT uniform in color.

5.) a lesion / "mole" that does NOT have a clearly defined edge.

6.) a lesion / "mole" in a sun exposed area.

7.) a lesion / "mole" that changes!!!

Now...not all of these things HAVE to exist.  However, the list is the most common presentation of the cancer....but if you ever suspect a "mole" DEFINITELY have it checked!!!

I hope this helps.  Melanoma is a very scary cancer....

-Kevin-

PS. Dermatology is not my particular specialty....

May 28 06 08:52 pm Link

Photographer

Michael McGowan

Tucson, Arizona, US

From a layman's point of view, any mole that starts looking really dark, or changes, is suspect. My doctors have removed several moles that they didn't think were a problem ... only to find out that they were (as they called them) pre-melanomas. Having one scare makes a person plenty aware of the possibility of getting skin cancer. At this point for me, doctors will remove moles if they seem suspect. But that's because I have a history. For those with no "history," insurance companies can be a bit of a pain.

May 29 06 08:35 am Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Thanks Michael and Kevin, hopefully your posts will save several lives.

Our family lost someone to cancer recently. It is very tough on those that are close. My thoughts and prayers are with Randy's family and friends.

May 29 06 10:31 am Link

Photographer

JDF Photography

Marengo, Ohio, US

Kevin gave an excellent run down on what to look for/be suspicious of regarding  melanoma. Family history and as few as three blistering sunburns can dramatically increase your risk of melanoma. Catching it EARLY is paramount. By the time it is through the surface of the skin to the depth of a sheet of paper it goes metastatic. Derm is not my specialty either but I am a medical practitioner.
If you have a strong family history it is wise to go to your dermatologist for a yearly "mole patrol" exam.

May 29 06 11:05 am Link

Model

MaryPetiteModel

Los Angeles, California, US

Thank you for posting the news of Randy's passing.  Though I did not work with him, he was an active presence on several of the forums I used to visit.  Always polite, respectful, etc.  Truly a loss.

My condolences to his family and friends.

May 29 06 12:22 pm Link

Model

Marley Decadence

JDF Photography wrote:
If you have a strong family history it is wise to go to your dermatologist for a yearly "mole patrol" exam.

agreeeeeeed!
when i was younger i was actually told every six months because of my family's history. everyone should get checked just in case. it's so easy to take care of if caught early.

May 29 06 12:25 pm Link

Photographer

The Digital Difference

Lakewood, New Jersey, US

JDF Photography wrote:
Kevin gave an excellent run down on what to look for/be suspicious of regarding  melanoma. Family history and as few as three blistering sunburns can dramatically increase your risk of melanoma. Catching it EARLY is paramount. By the time it is through the surface of the skin to the depth of a sheet of paper it goes metastatic. Derm is not my specialty either but I am a medical practitioner.

How cool....a fellow Healthcare provider who loves photography enough to come to Model Mayhem also.  :-)

May 29 06 02:10 pm Link

Model

Kat Mae Model

York, Pennsylvania, US

That is really...upsetting.

This is horrible.

/me cries

May 29 06 02:14 pm Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Oh man, that is terrible. I had the chance to shoot with Randy once for a quick 30 minute TFP session that happened as a result of working with another photographer in his studio. The session was delightful and fun, and turned out some really awesome pictures. I will never forget it, and I will now cherish those images for a very long time.

Thank you for posting this saddening news.

May 29 06 02:17 pm Link

Artist/Painter

jerantino

Kirkland, Washington, US

Nemi wrote:
Condolences.
Cancer is a bitch.

Sorry, on my first scan through I thought you said "Cancer is birth." But it is kind of a zen way to look at the great beyond.
As another creative person goes on ahead of us, I feel we should redouble our efforts to cultivate the creative impulse in the next generation.

May 29 06 02:21 pm Link

Model

Akaii

Manassas, Virginia, US

wow
that is rough news sad  Very sad.

I never got the chance to work with him, but we were supposed to shoot this summer.
Talking with him sporatically, he seemed quite the gentleman
not to forget a great artist.
I know he will be missed

May 29 06 02:24 pm Link

Photographer

Michael McGowan

Tucson, Arizona, US

Ironically, it turns out that a camera is the best thing you can use against melanoma.

First, take pictures of all your moles. Second, compare every few months to see if there's been a change. Third, if you see a change, go to the doctor and show him/her the evidence.

May 29 06 08:48 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

So who gets MELANOMA besides people who have had sunburns? Those at higher risk have red or blond hair, fair skin, blue eyes, or a family history of melanoma.

For more information, this is a good site.  It's a lesson given to second year medical school students:

http://matrix.ucdavis.edu/tumors/new/tu … intro.html

/tim

May 29 06 09:07 pm Link

Photographer

SMK Images

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

Rest in Peace, Good Sir!

While I never had the opertunty to get to know the man, but from what I have read here and what I have seen of his work, the world has lost a true artist and gentleman.

My sympathies go out to all...

May 29 06 09:19 pm Link