Forums > General Industry > US rules on copyright of pictures

Photographer

Town Crier Photos

London, England, United Kingdom

Hi folks, a friend has asked if I would shoot his wedding in Vermont in October 06 which I am happy to do. The brides mother who is paying my costs has said that she will own the copyright to any to pics I take and wants all the films and digi pics given to her.

She says that as she is paying is a commerical shoot and therefore as the client all the pics are hers.

Can someone tell me what the rules/law is in the US on this please?

May 28 06 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

Bryan Crump

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, US

It really depends on the agreement you make, most wedding photographers have a lot of forms and contracts, well a few contracts at least. If she wants all the rights it needs to be written up in the contract. You are being hired as a service for the wedding, talk to some photographers in your area that do wedding photography as some things can differe in different states on ordinary practices.

ted2 wrote:
Hi folks, a friend has asked if I would shoot his wedding in Vermont in October 06 which I am happy to do. The brides mother who is paying my costs has said that she will own the copyright to any to pics I take and wants all the films and digi pics given to her.

She says that as she is paying is a commerical shoot and therefore as the client all the pics are hers.

May 28 06 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

This is almost NEVER true.  I charge between $300-$2000 to shoot a wedding (IF someone can get me to do one) and I KEEP the negs.
Check with some of the pros in your area that specialize, but wedding photos are usually like high school pics.  You shoot them, give the customers a proof set to select the images they want, and then send them a print package that you agree on in advance as part of your fee.  They have to shell out MAD cash to buy the negs/copyrights, if the photographers will even sell them, otherwise they go back to the photog for more.
If they want to OWN the copyrights, negs, etc, they need to pay you WELL.
And one other thing, people will screw you with no reach around on weddings more than anything else, even "friends."  So make sure you get at LEAST 50% of the $ up front with a CLEAR notice that it's NON REFUNDABLE.
Cover yourself, or you'll have thrown away your time (and expense if you do film) for nothing.

May 28 06 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

retphoto

Sunbury, Pennsylvania, US

if she WANTS you to do her wedding as a WORK for HIRE...which is what she's calling it...be sure to charge her Commercial rates!!!

Low End Commercial Rates start about the same range as HIGH END Wedding Photography....

Frankly, I would rather work the commcercial scale, it's Higher Pay and less work....

May 28 06 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

RED Photographic

I have to say that I'd probably find I'd suddenly got a prior engagement that I'd forgotten about, and I couldn't do the wedding after all.

May 28 06 05:27 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Unless someone here is an attorney and willing to go on record as giving you legal advice, the words you'll receive here are worth exactly what you're paying for them.

That said, what do YOU want? Are you willing to assign her copyright? If so, do it. End of discussion.

Are you NOT willing? If so, don't take the job, because that's apparently what she wants. Again, end of discussion.

Bottom line, if you don't have a MEETING OF THE MINDS on what each party wants, you don't have a situation in which you should find yourself.

This is not legal advice.

May 28 06 05:30 pm Link

Photographer

eric freimanis

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

probably the reason she wants the negs is cause she is going to hire you at a cheap rate and then have prints made instead of buying them at a higher cost from the wedding photog as most do.

May 28 06 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

Asphalt-Assault

North Bend, Washington, US

With that kind of thinking, then she would view a portrait session or high school pics the same. Don't let her bully you.
If you let your copyright go, then make sure she pays for it.

Just my line of thinking, which may or may not be right.
And definately not legal advice.

Patrick

May 28 06 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

SolraK Studios

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Chris Ambler wrote:
Unless someone here is an attorney and willing to go on record as giving you legal advice, the words you'll receive here are worth exactly what you're paying for them.

That said, what do YOU want? Are you willing to assign her copyright? If so, do it. End of discussion.

Are you NOT willing? If so, don't take the job, because that's apparently what she wants. Again, end of discussion.

Bottom line, if you don't have a MEETING OF THE MINDS on what each party wants, you don't have a situation in which you should find yourself.

YOU are so wrong till it's just plain sad !!!!
The OP is asking for advice about releasing copyright he should be paid for this !! He looses all  sales of prints and future reprints.  Apparently the bride's mother is aware of copyrights and that's why she want a full release. If he does this job at her demands will loose money. Is this legal advice.......no it's just commonsense.

May 28 06 05:37 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

KARLOS MATTHEWS wrote:
YOU are so wrong till it's just plain sad !!!!
The OP is asking for advice about releasing copyright he should be paid for this !! He looses all  sales of prints and future reprints. Is this legal advice.......no it's just commonsense.

Excuse me? Mind speaking English?

The poster said, "The brides mother who is paying my costs has said that she will own the copyright to any to pics I take ..."

As he was correctly told, this will depend upon the contract that is signed. As such, I asked what HIS intent was, and advised that if he was willing to give up copyright, go for it. If not, don't go for it. I don't care if he's paid well or not at all. That's his choice.

I'll say it again, as it was the crux of my comment: his choice.

You, on the other hand, are speaking with your foot in your mouth. Remove it, you might be better-understood.

May 28 06 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

SolraK Studios

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Chris Ambler wrote:
Excuse me? Mind speaking English?

The poster said, "The brides mother who is paying my costs has said that she will own the copyright to any to pics I take ..."

As he was correctly told, this will depend upon the contract that is signed. As such, I asked what HIS intent was, and advised that if he was willing to give up copyright, go for it. If not, don't go for it. I don't care if he's paid well or not at all. That's his choice.

I'll say it again, as it was the crux of my comment: his choice.

You, on the other hand, are speaking with your foot in your mouth. Remove it, you might be better-understood.

I see you hate it when you are wrong ?? Please don't post BS like that again........ end of discussion

May 28 06 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

MannyDesalamanca

Orlando, Florida, US

Good luck .... Have to tried to get a Copyright on your Pics .....  LOL  ......

See This : http://www.photofocus.com/showarchive.php?aid=281&cid=7

Manny D.

May 28 06 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

KARLOS MATTHEWS wrote:
I see you hate it when you are wrong ?? Please don't post BS like that again........ end of discussion

Yeah, you're right. Advising someone to do what they want to do is always bad advice.

Idiot.

May 28 06 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

vanWingo

Lawrenceville, Georgia, US

Works Made for Hire Under the Copyright Act

http://www.keytlaw.com/Copyrights/wfhire.htm

May 28 06 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

SolraK Studios

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Chris Ambler wrote:

Yeah, you're right. Advising someone to do what they want to do is always bad advice.

Idiot.

OK Chris Ambler you win I surrender !!! Let's all diregard all copyrights and work job to job this goes for photographer, illustrators, writers ect........  Hell we enjoy doing photography so much  maybe we shouldn't be compensated for our hard work !!

welcome to the bizarre world of Chris Ambler where we are all just camera monkeys

remember it's not right unless Chris Ambler approves it :-P

Chris Ambler for president........................//

May 28 06 06:01 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Wow. President? Let me think about that and get back to you.

I once shot a wedding as a favor to a good friend. I didn't charge him a cent, and I gave him all of the negatives and a copyright assignment. It was my wedding gift.

Man, I'm an idiot. What was I thinking?! I can't believe that I did what I wanted, rather than go by the hard-and-fast rule you so clearly made me understand. You've really opened my eyes, my friend!

May 28 06 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

Daguerre

Orange, California, US

Chris and Karlos, stop it both of you or I'll send you both to bed with no supper.

You guys are so funny!  Lets help the OP by just letting him know this:

Copyright Law states that he who presses the shutter without any other written arrangements, is the copyright holder.  Now if you'd like to discuss Ad useage with me, that would be important.

BUT THIS IS A FRIGGIN WEDDING!!  Copyright does not apply here.  Negetive Right applies here: He who posseses the negs owns the right to make as many prints as they want!

May 28 06 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

ted2 wrote:

The copyright remains with the original artist
You can negotiate anything you want with your customer by contract.
She does not have the copyright, but she has whatevery you want to giver her by agreement.

Copyright law is very simple. Go look around here:
www.nolopress.com

May 28 06 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

Daguerre

Orange, California, US

ted2 wrote:
She says that as she is paying is a commerical shoot and therefore as the client all the pics are hers.  Can someone tell me what the rules/law is in the US on this please?

The US rule is this:  In all cases without anything else in writing, you, the photographer, own the copyright.  I would recommend that you give your client 2 prices: one for shooting the wedding and the other for the buyout of the negs.  Selling her the negs is my recommendation.  Shooting weddings is nothing compared to the stress of selling prints to a client as misinformed as this one.

May 28 06 06:20 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Daguerre wrote:
BUT THIS IS A FRIGGIN WEDDING!!  Copyright does not apply here.  Negetive Right applies here: He who posseses the negs owns the right to make as many prints as they want!

Unfortunately, and with all due respect, that's not correct.

I could own the copyright on a photograph and even though you posess the negative, you do not have any right to make prints.

And, since I'm bored, I'll cite:

TITLE 17 - COPYRIGHTS
CHAPTER 2 - COPYRIGHT OWNERSHIP AND TRANSFER

Sec. 202. Ownership of copyright as distinct from ownership of material object

Ownership of a copyright, or of any of the exclusive rights under a copyright, is distinct from ownership of any material object in which the work is embodied. Transfer of ownership of any material object, including the copy or phonorecord in which the work is first fixed, does not of itself convey any rights in the copyrighted work embodied in the object; nor, in the absence of an agreement, does transfer of ownership of a copyright or of any exclusive rights under a copyright convey property rights in any material object.

(Pub. L. 94-553, title I, Sec. 101, Oct. 19, 1976, 90 Stat. 2568.)

HOUSE REPORT NO. 94-1476                     

The principle restated in section 202 is a fundamental and    important one: that copyright ownership and ownership of a material object in which the copyrighted work is embodied are entirely separate things. Thus, transfer of a material object does not of itself carry any rights under the copyright, and this includes transfer of the copy or phonorecord - the original manuscript, the photographic negative, the unique painting or statue, the master tape recording, etc. - in which the work was first fixed.

Conversely, transfer of a copyright does not necessarily require the conveyance of any material object.

Emphasis mine. Happy to be of assistance, but please, consult an attorney if this is at all unclear to you.

May 28 06 06:23 pm Link

Photographer

Daguerre

Orange, California, US

Chris Ambler wrote:

Unfortunately, and with all due respect, that's not correct.

I could own the copyright on a photograph and even though you posess the negative, you do not have any right to make prints.

Please, consult an attorney if this is at all unclear to you. This is not legal advice.

Don't need to.  This is Professional advice.  Sell her the negs, get your money, move on to another job tomarrow.  The time (and money) you spend trying to prove that you still own copyright after you've sold your client the negs is wasted time.

Photographer retains copyright-- but so what?  Business: this woman will probably turn out to be a pain in the ass.  Sell the negs, move on to the next job.

May 28 06 06:33 pm Link

Retoucher

elementsofrain

Lawrenceville, Georgia, US

Prints are the hardest things in the world to get the rights to make.  I've worked for a (mind you poor excuse) of a retail photography studio and those people hold onto their rights until they bleed from it.  The request form to make prints of a photo that no longer has negatives is so specific and detailed down to the number of copies and the size that you can make them.  The only time I saw them relent was if the negatives were purchased.  At that point I couldn't honestly tell you who owned the copyright, but it's a lot harder to keep them from making copies when they have the negative.

I'm all for the tag at the end of this being "this is not legal advice."

May 28 06 06:35 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Chris Ambler is right on all counts, although he should refrain from calling people idiots.  smile

May 28 06 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Daguerre wrote:

While this is the way it works in practice, it is not a legal truth.  You can posess the negative, but you still legally need the permission of the copyright holder to make prints.

May 28 06 06:40 pm Link

Photographer

Olof Wessels

Heemskerk, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

Hmzz no mather what the lady says the international copyright law will always apply and that states clearly that the copyrights of any picture taken do always belong to the photographer unless agreed upon differently.
This means that the copyrights will only change to someone else if a full release was given by the photographer. Possession of the negatives is not the same as possession of the copyrights in that respect!!
My advice therefore would be to make two different prices: One with and one without a full release. The one with the release being at least double the price of the one without it.

Greetz Olof

Lol, Chris  found the correct articles already

May 28 06 06:41 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I see Chris has been responding in his usual gracious way, so I hesitate to come in her and be rude by comparison . . .

ted2 wrote:

That depends.  Your profile says you are from London, but does not list a country.  If you mean London, UK, the copyright laws on this issue are the same as they are in your country.  If you mean London, Ontario, they aren't.

Under Canadian law the client gets copyright on commissioned, paid work.  Under US and UK law, the photographer does.  Unless, in either case, there is a written agreement to the contrary.

Now, do what you want to do.

May 28 06 06:41 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
Chris Ambler is right on all counts, although he should refrain from calling people idiots.  smile

You're right. I should have called him an ice cream sandwich. Mainly because I've not yet had lunch.

May 28 06 06:43 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

TXPhotog wrote:
I see Chris has been responding in his usual gracious way, so I hesitate to come in her and be rude by comparison . . .

I've learned to enjoy it. Please, do.

TXPhotog wrote:
Under Canadian law the client gets copyright on commissioned, paid work.  Under US and UK law, the photographer does.  Unless, in either case, there is a written agreement to the contrary.

Holy crap on a pixie stick, you're absolutely correct and I'd not considered that. Indeed, if the original poster is in the (enlightened?) Great White North, things are different. My apologies for not checking locale. On the other hand, he did ask for US laws...

TXPhotog wrote:
Now, do what you want to do.

My original advice as well.

May 28 06 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

The wedding's in Vermont.  My non-legal advice is that US laws would apply.

May 28 06 06:49 pm Link

Photographer

Olof Wessels

Heemskerk, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

Chris Ambler wrote:

TXPhotog wrote:

I've learned to enjoy it. Please, do.

TXPhotog wrote:

Holy crap on a pixie stick, you're absolutely correct and I'd not considered that. Indeed, if the original poster is in the (enlightened?) Great White North, things are different. My apologies for not checking locale. On the other hand, he did ask for US laws...

My original advice as well.

Hahahaha remind me to never work in Canada
Goddam that really sucks

May 28 06 06:50 pm Link

Photographer

Twisted Light

Miami, Florida, US

Wow I learned some stuff. Thanks for the info. I would really like to thank those that actually had links and Facts to back up what they are saying.

May 28 06 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

1972 Productions

Cebu, Central Visayas, Philippines

Photographer owns all rights unless a contract exists to state otherwise.

If she's paying your expenses, don't forget the $2500 you need to charge to cover for your time as you we're unable to accept other jobs on that date. (that to me is simply an expense)

I'm personally shooting back to back weddings next friday and saturday (both as a favor for the same friend that knows two couples that are getting married next week)

Shoot one is a sob story, getting married before it's too late (litteraly and on medical grounds and so young too) they don't have a lot of money and it's a small ceremony and they only want my services for two hours. Their budget was $200, I told them I wouldn't do it for less than $400 and thats just for shooting, quick PS touch up's and delivering the images on disk. The reason I charged them less than half of my half day rate for commercial work is they have both signed contracts, and had all other significant guests do the same giving me all rights, I will use the images as stock and make some cash back on the other end of it.

Shoot two is a big bash and i'm just the number two photogrpaher to help out this friend, I have the smae stock contrack with the bride and full pre wedding access to shoot her whilst shes getting ready, makeup, preperations, etc and on top of it I get my day rate of $1800 that I charge for commercial shoots. And all I need to do is shoot for the day and deliver 400 RAW files to my friend (the primary photographer) for prints and other stuff from the day (no post production for me)

Regardless of how good a friend someone is you should never shoot something for free for them as it's basically saying your service has no value.
If they're that good a friend bill the mother at whatever rates you want (do consider a discount for a friend of course) and when the mother gives you shit explain to your friend that she obviously places no value on the memories of possibly the biggest day of their lives.

Find weding photographers in your area, at least five that shoot as well as you, get their rates, work out the average cost and knock of 30%

That's my $0.02 worth at no charge! smile

May 28 06 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

Town Crier Photos

London, England, United Kingdom

Many thanks folks for all your replies which I have found very helpful indeed. I will now retire gracefully to my corner to consider next move with "mum".

ted

May 29 06 03:11 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
The wedding's in Vermont.  My non-legal advice is that US laws would apply.

Hmmmm, the wedding is in Vermont and he's not from the U.S.  Maybe that is why he wanted to know how it worked in the U.S.?

Good point Brian, you beat me to it.

May 29 06 03:20 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

It's true that he wanted to know about US laws - but I prefaced my comments by assuming that he had some knowledge of his home country's laws, so I could alert him to the fact that US laws were the same (as the UK) or different (from Canada), so he could understand better.  Sorry if you were put off by that.

May 29 06 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

Len Cook Photographer

Fremont, California, US

Daguerre wrote:
Photographer retains copyright-- but so what?  Business: this woman will probably turn out to be a pain in the ass.  Sell the negs, move on to the next job.

PIA, no kidding.  Just be glad she's somebody ELSE'S mother-in-law.  The "sell-and-move-on" advice is perfect.  Price the job accordingly.

May 29 06 03:27 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

eric freimanis wrote:
probably the reason she wants the negs is cause she is going to hire you at a cheap rate and then have prints made instead of buying them at a higher cost from the wedding photog as most do.

WalMart must have a special going on wedding prints... LOL

Studio36

May 29 06 04:08 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

TXPhotog wrote:
It's true that he wanted to know about US laws - but I prefaced my comments by assuming that he had some knowledge of his home country's laws, so I could alert him to the fact that US laws were the same (as the UK) or different (from Canada), so he could understand better.  Sorry if you were put off by that.

I am confused, where did this come from?  I didn't know that anybody had directed a comment towards you.  I'm sorry if you felt that way.

My comment was only that it was logical for him to be asking about U.S. law, since he wasn't from the U.S.

I thought your original commetn about U.S., UK and Canadian law was quite accurate.

May 29 06 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

The mother in law is crazy, and the advice given you by those saying you own the copyright regardless of payment is correct.

The only way you would cease to own copyright over the images you take on their wedding day is if you sign a document stating you have given them the copyright.

-James

May 29 06 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

It appeared that Brian's comment, quoted by you, was directed at me.  Perhaps not.  Doesn't much matter.

May 29 06 04:24 pm Link