Forums > General Industry > Copying other photographer's work...?

Photographer

Ryan Colford Studios

Brooklyn, New York, US

Does anyone think that by looking at another photographer's work they might subconsciously reproduce at some point later on or do you think that looking at other ports can be beneficial?  For that matter, has anyone ever copied another photographer's work either knowingly or unknowingly and if so, what'd did you do when you realized?  Just a topic for discussion.

May 28 06 11:44 am Link

Photographer

500 Gigs of Desire

New York, New York, US

"We covet what we see everyday"
-Dr. Hannibal Lechter

May 28 06 11:46 am Link

Photographer

ChristopherRoss

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

Colford Studios wrote:
Does anyone think that by looking at another photographer's work they might subconsciously reproduce at some point later on or do you think that looking at other ports can be beneficial?  For that matter, has anyone ever copied another photographer's work either knowingly or unknowingly and if so, what'd did you do when you realized?  Just a topic for discussion.

I copy other people work all the time. I'm a thief and a hack.

or ... it can be looked at that a great image may prove to be a starting point for work that I want to pursue, like taking the first line of a great poem and writing my own from it's origins ... na, I'm a hack.

May 28 06 11:48 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

I personally wouldnt mind subconsciously creating a masterpiece that resembles someone elses masterpiece. I like it when people comment on my stuff using big names as my influences.
there are also certain poses, techniques and styles being explored by millions of people but all their own way.

copying is a big no.
but being influenced is not something you can avoid.

May 28 06 11:55 am Link

Photographer

R. Olson (RO)

Seattle, Washington, US

This is interesting, I had a local girl (far cry from being a model) ask me to purposefully copy the style of another photographer in the area. When I told her no and to go to the photographer that she wanted copied, she got huffy and called me an asshole for not doing it. LOL

May 28 06 11:59 am Link

Photographer

Ryan Colford Studios

Brooklyn, New York, US

Koray wrote:
I personally wouldnt mind subconsciously creating a masterpiece that resembles someone elses masterpiece. I like it when people comment on my stuff using big names as my influences.
there are also certain poses, techniques and styles being explored by millions of people but all their own way.

copying is a big no.

Good point, perhaps I'm mixing up influenced with copying.  It's easy to see similar styles/themes in some of my work that I also see in others work.  I had a conversation with Greg Gorman about this topic and he said, "It's all been done before really, you just have to put your style to it."

May 28 06 12:00 pm Link

Photographer

Len Cook Photographer

Fremont, California, US

Colford Studios wrote:
do you think that looking at other ports can be beneficial?

There is a long and noble tradition in the arts of copying the work of masters as a form of self-discipline and education.
From an intimate understanding of one's inspirational heritage, and the heritage of the medium, comes strength of vision.
One's work may be inspired by masters, be filled with quotes and references to great work, but traditionally when an inferior artist attemts to elevate his or her own work by wholesale incorporation of the expressions of others inspiration has degenerated into plagiarism.
Look at the work of critically acclaimed masters and be inspired.  Yes, even attempt to duplicate pictures as a learning exercise.  Then produce and display your own work inspired and informed by that traditional exercise.
Finally, Postmodernism lays waste, theoretically, to all of that tradition.  Grab a piece of someone else's work, photocopy it, sign the result.  Go carefully here before condemning Postmodernism wholesale, however.  Photography is a strongly Postmodern medium.  Best to understand Postmodernism before slamming it.

May 28 06 12:00 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Copying another person's work is perfectly acceptable in the art world. Its the passing the said copied work as the orginal that is unacceptable.

May 28 06 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

1972 Productions

Cebu, Central Visayas, Philippines

When I used to teach photography, one thing i'd tell my students was to pick the photogrephers they admire and respect and imitate them.

Once they had perfected imitating the photographers they liked, they would have an understanding of what was involved to create that style of image and be able to devlope their own styles from there.

I see nothing wrong with it and with there being so many photographers out there I'm sure every shot we take is imitating someone elses work, even if we've never seen it before.

May 28 06 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

FemmeArt

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Koray wrote:

copying is a big no.

Agreed.

May 28 06 12:12 pm Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

also creative people think alike big_smile

Model

Alli Michelle

Miami, Florida, US

I like to get ideas from other peoples work and add them to things I came up with on my own.

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

Good point, Darren!

I think that also once you develop your own style, if you see something you like and try to imitate it or let it influence you heavily . . . if there's enough of yourself in the image you produce, it should be plenty different from the original.

As a self-assignment, I've tried to copy other photos and found it virtually impossible.

Case in point is this photo on my avitar. Straight up influenced by an Albert Watson shot. Yeah, heels on a stove but they have different feels to them. I'm OK with this. Particularly in that the intent is to help me learn a little more.

I think it's sorta like music. You learn some basics and chords and what not and then you learn how to play other people's songs before you write your own. (Generally speaking)

May 28 06 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

Ryan Colford Studios

Brooklyn, New York, US

I have to admit that I've found it next to impossible to "copy" another photo, at least that I'm aware of.  But I have been able to identify the "influences" in a few of my images from time to time.

May 28 06 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

In a magazine interview many years ago, one of the rich hand famous photographers (I don't recall who it was) commented, "All photographers borrow from each other on occasion but great photographers steal daily".

May 28 06 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

FotoArcade

San Diego, California, US

When I was learning electric guitar, did I copy my brother? Hell No! I wanted to be Brian Setzer! Could I ever copy him? Of course not but it got me to develop my own style and Brian's influences are certainly there.  Photography is sort of the same way. How much of what we see truly original? Some of my favorite shots are reinterpretations of familiar photos or styles.

May 28 06 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

Alex C

New York, New York, US

You can always find inspiration from others. YOu can try to "recreate" an image, a look, the feelings, a moment. eventually you develop your own style from all these little tid bits you borrow.

May 28 06 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

If you copy 1 other person, it's plagarism.  If you copy 20 other people, it's influence.

May 28 06 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

Ryan Colford Studios

Brooklyn, New York, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
If you copy 1 other person, it's plagarism.  If you copy 20 other people, it's influence.

LMAO!

May 28 06 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Darren Green wrote:
When I used to teach photography, one thing i'd tell my students was to pick the photogrephers they admire and respect and imitate them.

That was exactly my Photo 101 final project.

May 28 06 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

Rodney Robledo

Raleigh, Illinois, US

I think you never can copy a work... Some people try to do it but always the pictures its different, Lighting, locations, etc...

May 28 06 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

Daguerre

Orange, California, US

I am a combonation of all the people I've ever respected-- photography included.

May 28 06 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

Ryan Colford Studios

Brooklyn, New York, US

Daguerre wrote:
I am a combonation of all the people I've ever respected-- photography included.

True, I think that we're all a sum of people that we've respected or who otherwise respected.  In fact included into that combination are people we don't respect/like, they've also taught us what NOT to do.

May 28 06 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Donovan

Chicago, Illinois, US

It happens. But you add your own twist to it.

This happened a lot when I was doing Standup Comedy. Many performers would do a bit that was oddly similar to something I had heard 20 minutes earlier. We all worked closely together, so many of the ideas start to bubble around in our collective minds until two people had the same material.

This also happens, in its own way, with Improv (I do Improv with Second City). Oner performer will make a wild reference and it will stick with the other performers. They will make references to it and not realize that it had been used multiple times already!

Obviously it is not intentional, but it is something to recognize!

May 28 06 02:07 pm Link

Photographer

Ryan Colford Studios

Brooklyn, New York, US

Michael Donovan wrote:
It happens. But you add your own twist to it.

This happened a lot when I was doing Standup Comedy. Many performers would do a bit that was oddly similar to something I had heard 20 minutes earlier. We all worked closely together, so many of the ideas start to bubble around in our collective minds until two people had the same material.

This also happens, in its own way, with Improv (I do Improv with Second City). Oner performer will make a wild reference and it will stick with the other performers. They will make references to it and not realize that it had been used multiple times already!

Obviously it is not intentional, but it is something to recognize!

That's what I think is the biggest/most likely scenario.

May 28 06 02:08 pm Link

Model

Anonymous1972

"Creativity is knowing how to hide your sources" - Albert Einstein

May 28 06 02:09 pm Link

Photographer

Daguerre

Orange, California, US

Justus Lowry wrote:
"Creativity is knowing how to hide your sources" - Albert Einstein

Now that's a keeper!

May 28 06 02:10 pm Link

Photographer

Jon da Vid Photography

Amarillo, Texas, US

It is the sincerest form of flatery out there, when your work deserves to be copied.

May 28 06 02:12 pm Link

Model

little apple blossom

MCMINNVILLE, Oregon, US

I am not a photographer but I am an artist and I know I am often inspired by other's work. I think it is unavoidable, but there has to be something fresh and new to the piece to keep it from being a cheap knock off.

May 28 06 02:12 pm Link

Photographer

Storyline Visuals

Mission Viejo, California, US

Colford Studios wrote:
Does anyone think that by looking at another photographer's work they might subconsciously reproduce at some point

That's the most rediculous thing I've ever heard of.

Here's a shot I did yesterday though.

https://andersonimage.com/MM/bt_ripoff.jpg

ETA: a little humor and apologies to Bruce Talbot #7244 :: please smile bt

May 29 06 12:07 am Link

Photographer

DavidSouthBeach

Miami Beach, Florida, US

For that matter, has anyone ever copied another photographer's work either knowingly or unknowingly and if so, what'd did you do when you realized?  Just a topic for discussion.

I have copied other's work subconciously and alternately have seen what I thought was original turn up in another photographer's port.  I thin everything we do is based, consciously or otherwise, on what has gone before us.  And I think it's okay.

David

May 29 06 12:13 am Link

Photographer

Habenero Photography

Mesa, Arizona, US

Beginning photographers often start out trying to copy the style of a photographer they like.  Once they have learned enough to handle their equipment and produce consistent results, they go on to find their own style.  I often look at other ports to find lighting and posing styles I might like to try.

May 29 06 12:48 am Link

Photographer

Wolf 189

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I have mix feelings about this.

Getting inspired is one thing and copying is another.

I did a spread for a new poker magazine with Jennifer H. (two times world poker series champion)...I used her dog in one of the the shots because she said it was her best friend after her husband: (the shots were supposed to be in life style editorial...natural feel with a joke here and there)

http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=3088062

https://gallery.photo.net/photo/3088062-md.jpg

The "writer" paid the small amount that were supposed to...but they didn't publish the shots. Three-four weeks later a major ad agency came up with this ad for American Express:

https://www.commercialcloset.org/images/data/COMCLOSET_PICS/picture/10298.JPG

It could've been an accident if I didn't find out that the writer was linked to the agency. The funny thing is that he wrote me a week after that how much he enjoyed my images and he was sad they didn't print the article and spread and how he would love to work with me in future. I still am not sure if he really sold the idea to the ad agency or it was just an accident. I don't care usually but I did feel bad for few days after finding out his link to the agency.

Mixed feelings I say! smile

Cheers

Wolf

May 29 06 01:14 am Link

Photographer

Stephen Dawson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Colford Studios wrote:

I have this desire to take two black and white photographs. Each with the same four models. In the same exact poses.

One will have them nude except for high heels and maybe gloves or hats. In the other they will have high fashion dresses.

May 29 06 01:23 am Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

I try to copy magazine ads all the time. It’s a learning process to see if I can recreate the lighting. Not like I’m selling it to magazines or anything. Just helps me understand what others are doing.

May 29 06 01:57 am Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

I DO take down lots of pictures, those which suggest or convey whatever i am hoping to acheive or just as a starting point for collaborations with  photogs

We arent generally copying (and I never ever post them, or say they are mine, dont worry!) we are just aiming for the simliar feel, pose, or devloping the idea coming across in that image

however, its pretty rare have i got to use the pictures i saved on line with a photog and when we have looked at them together first, we still ended up doing something completely  difderent of our own! But is great to see if we like the same work
or aim for a certain look..Art is creating, but not always from stratch!!

*Waits for hate mail - or questions about WHOSE work*

;-)

May 29 06 02:04 am Link

Photographer

Nathan Strausse Studios

New York, New York, US

Even though it may be a copy, the actual and the copied piece will be one of its very own. The moment that happened that created each piece can never be duplicated. A photos own life comes out of the circumstance that occured to get the shot.

May 29 06 02:12 am Link

Photographer

Microwave0ven

Vancouver, Washington, US

Habenero Photography wrote:
Beginning photographers often start out trying to copy the style of a photographer they like.  .....  I often look at other ports to find lighting and posing styles I might like to try.

that is so true. Whether for model photography, or just general photography, sometimes I find the way someone's taken a shot gives you a new way of seeing things that you hadn't noticed before. Then when you go and take some photos, you notice it more keenly.

Just speaking from my experience as a general photographer, once I saw an architectural shot by someone else that was a new way of looking at ladders. I went out, and shortly after, found a similar ladder and took it from the same angle, then showed the person who took the original. He seemed to be kind of amused that I had thought it cool enough to try and copy the idea.

In an artistic forum, I find that a lot of people have similar ideas, and sometimes I'll get messages from other people saying "Oh hey, I saw your picture, I did something like that too, check it out!"

It seems pretty common that people end up copying people. and people copy the person who copied someone else, and the ideas just spread and twist with each person's new perspective.

May 29 06 03:00 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Wolf189 wrote:
https://gallery.photo.net/photo/3088062-md.jpg

So dish, did the dog beat her or what?

May 29 06 07:34 am Link

Photographer

Chi - Rue99 Photography

San Francisco, California, US

Learning is copying and refining what's worked before. Although I can rely solely on my own efforts, looking at what others have done accelerates that process until there's nothing left to learn.

For me, I'll know it all by August 15, 2009 at 17:54:51 pm PST. You've been warned, so all of you have limited time to show me your best work.

May 29 06 12:32 pm Link