Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Question about stylist setup times

Photographer

WingedPower

Cupertino, California, US

Question regarding setup times. As a photographer, what ballpark time figures should I pencil in on a photoshoot which would involve the assistance of a stylist?

Say, for a shoot, we get together: Stylist, Model, and photographer. From time of arrival till time of first shooting, with the stylist working on hair/makeup in-between, what would be a good length of time to block out? How do photographers normally handle this block of time? I realise I can just ask the stylist before the photoshoot, but would like to get an idea of what to expect.

Thanks!

May 28 06 06:47 am Link

Makeup Artist

Picture Perfect Makeup

Hesperia, California, US

Are you wanting to know how long the stylist needs to work on the model? Or how long it takes to set up the stylist's area?

Allow 20 minutes for setup and communication of your concept (if you have worked with the MUA before or have sent them pictures of the model and your concept it goes a lot faster), and time for the stylist to evaluate the model and get her situated. Models generally have to go potty, make a quick phone call, get a drink of water, put their things down, etc... before they are usually ready for the MUA to start to work her magic.

It depends on how extensive the makeup and hair work will be to figure on time. Also, the models face and hair type and any correction that needs doing. There is already a thread on how long it takes for most MUAs to do straight beauty makeup. If they are also doing hair getting the model ready obviously takes longer.

May 28 06 01:13 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jessica Steele

Los Angeles, California, US

Have everyone show up an hour earlier than the shoot time. Have plenty of bottled water and provide a well lit space and a tall chair. I like to have time for introductions.

May 28 06 01:39 pm Link

Photographer

WingedPower

Picture Perfect Makeup wrote:
Are you wanting to know how long the stylist needs to work on the model? Or how long it takes to set up the stylist's area?

Kind of both, your post does a great job of pointing out time-related items. Thanks!

Picture Perfect Makeup wrote:
There is already a thread on how long it takes for most MUAs to do straight beauty makeup. If they are also doing hair getting the model ready obviously takes longer.

Hmm... okay, I hadn't known about the search feature... and now I do. However, it doesn't seem to give me results if I use more than one word in the search. Do you happen to have a link to the forum thread? My apologies for asking a question, which was already addressed.

Thanks for the list of things to consider!

May 29 06 06:34 am Link

Photographer

WingedPower

Jessica Steele wrote:
Have everyone show up an hour earlier than the shoot time. Have plenty of bottled water and provide a well lit space and a tall chair. I like to have time for introductions.

Sounds like introductions and workspace is important. Thanks for the input! Wow, given the amount of time involved, I'm kinda surprised TFP/TFCDs happen at all. The investment in time really builds up fast. hmm

Thanks all!

May 29 06 06:38 am Link