Forums > General Industry > just an industry question.

Model

Tracey M

Woodbridge, New Jersey, US

So... I'm rather new to the whole modeling world, so I definitely have a few questions.  I have 2 photo shoots under my belt, but I am wondering if I should just go to open calls and see how the results are with that first rather than formulating a whole book, only to be rejected.  I would really like to get into high fashion, being that I'm  5'9 and skinny, but could be skinnier if I actually focused on eating healthy.  But, also I find glamour appealing as well.

May 27 06 10:38 pm Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

Miss Tracey Marie wrote:
So... I'm rather new to the whole modeling world, so I definitely have a few questions.  I have 2 photo shoots under my belt, but I am wondering if I should just go to open calls and see how the results are with that first rather than formulating a whole book, only to be rejected.  I would really like to get into high fashion, being that I'm  5'9 and skinny, but could be skinnier if I actually focused on eating healthy.  But, also I find glamour appealing as well.

yes, go to open calls - see what's out there.

But ALWAYS build your book. You're going to get rejected various times throughout your career regardless. It's just part of the business. - Still shouldn't stop you from building your book.

May 27 06 10:46 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

You have good stats, interesting face!

Listen to Oosiris' recommendation.

Go to open calls, over and over again... I think that you have an above average chance to find and agency that likes you.

Put on the boots that are made for walking and walk the agency offices.

Good luck!

May 27 06 10:52 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Yes, go to open calls.  Leave the book behind.  Build it AFTER an agency likes you and guides you in doing it.  Otherwise you will be wasting your time.

At least for fashion.

For glamour it's a different story.  Shoot your little heart out, but don't worry about agencies.

May 27 06 10:54 pm Link

Photographer

The Digital Difference

Lakewood, New Jersey, US

Hi Tracey.

I just sent you an email.

May 28 06 06:31 am Link

Model

Ellynyn

Bristol, Connecticut, US

TXPhotog wrote:
Yes, go to open calls.  Leave the book behind.  Build it AFTER an agency likes you and guides you in doing it.  Otherwise you will be wasting your time.

At least for fashion.

For glamour it's a different story.  Shoot your little heart out, but don't worry about agencies.

I completely, totally, 1000% agree with this. Fashion agencies don't want to see a portfolio, infact they can turn you down over one. They want to see clear snapshots of your face and full body.

May 28 06 06:47 am Link

Photographer

Luther

Arlington, Virginia, US

TXPhotog wrote:

At least for fashion.

I agree.  She needs to leave her book behind.  I didn't see any striking photos, though I can tell that she is a good looking gal.

May 28 06 06:52 am Link

Photographer

The Digital Difference

Lakewood, New Jersey, US

Neyrissa  wrote:

I completely, totally, 1000% agree with this. Fashion agencies don't want to see a portfolio, infact they can turn you down over one. They want to see clear snapshots of your face and full body.

Agreed but for those jobs that would like to see a book....she might want to work on one.  No harm, no foul!  She just needs to know when to leave it home.  ;-)

May 28 06 10:08 am Link

Model

Ellynyn

Bristol, Connecticut, US

The Digital Difference wrote:

Agreed but for those jobs that would like to see a book....she might want to work on one.  No harm, no foul!  She just needs to know when to leave it home.  ;-)

The agency will take care of her "book" to go to castings until she's built one through them. Trust me.

May 28 06 10:12 am Link

Photographer

PK Digital Imaging

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I think your first step is to move to Vancouver BC.  smile

May 29 06 02:41 pm Link