Forums > General Industry > How Involved?

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

If a new/aspiring photographer contacts a new/aspring model about a shoot. . .how involved should the model be in the process?

Should the model be trying to:
-->find a location?
-->coordinate the shoot (i.e. day, time, theme, etc.)?

I guess I'm asking if it's wrong for a photographer to expect the model (or someone other than him/herself) to put together all the details for a shoot?  Or is this commonplace?  How involved should models be?

May 27 06 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

As with everything else, it depends.

Next week I'm taking a little trip to a city I haven't seen in 20 years.  My "area knowledge" is more than a little rusty.  Four nice and wonderfully beautiful young ladies have indicated an interest in shooting with me while I'm there, for which I am grateful.

But I don't have a makeup artist there.  I don't know any good shoot locations there.  I don't have a studio there.  Could any of them help with those things?

As it happens, they could, and did.  And none of them seemed to think it even a little bit odd that I asked the question.  Once again I'm grateful.

May 27 06 05:48 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

TXPhotog wrote:
As with everything else, it depends.

Next week I'm taking a little trip to a city I haven't seen in 20 years.  My "area knowledge" is more than a little rusty.  Four nice and wonderfully beautiful young ladies have indicated an interest in shooting with me while I'm there, for which I am grateful.

But I don't have a makeup artist there.  I don't know any good shoot locations there.  I don't have a studio there.  Could any of them help with those things?

As it happens, they could, and did.  And none of them seemed to think it even a little bit odd that I asked the question.  Once again I'm grateful.

Ok.  So if you had contacted them about a shoot. . .should they be expected to offer to help in those areas?

May 27 06 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

ChristopherRoss

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

you can be as involved or uninvolved as you and the tog feel is welcome.

one of the reasons we reuse the same models is that when we find somebody with creative energy to fit with our own needs, it's easier.

May 27 06 05:57 pm Link

Photographer

SPI Glamour

Arnold, Nebraska, US

yes, it all depends on the situation.  While I usually take care of all of the details, I also value the input of the model.  Perhaps she has something special in mind, in which case it might be simpler for her to take care of the details.  Or, at least let me know about some place or time that she would be available to work.
By the way, checked out your profile, and you have some very nice photographs!
Good Luck,

Bill

May 27 06 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Jayne Jones wrote:
If a new/aspiring photographer contacts a new/aspring model about a shoot. . .how involved should the model be in the process?

-->find a location?

I guess I'm asking if it's wrong for a photographer to expect the model (or someone other than him/herself) to put together all the details for a shoot?  Or is this commonplace?  How involved should models be?

If I contact the model to shoot with me, they normally have 75% of what I want or need in looks and the rest would be wardrobe and location which I’m willing to help with or supply 100% of.

I’ll pitch my idea to the model as well as some shots of the location and ask for input from them.
Within a few emails, we will either know when we’re shooting or if we’ve decided not to shoot.

Hope this helps you.

Craig

May 27 06 06:03 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

The photog i'm working with now is really great. She picked out the location and the MUA...cause I am a clueless dunse. I'm just bringing myself and some clothing changes.

May 27 06 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Jayne Jones wrote:
Ok.  So if you had contacted them about a shoot. . .should they be expected to offer to help in those areas?

It doesn't matter who contacted whom.  Whether they contacted me or I contacted them doesn't change my level of knowledge or access to resources in their city.  They are helping because they are in the best position to know and have access to those things.  If they were coming here it would be the reverse.

There's no "expected" - you just try to do what makes sense.

May 27 06 06:11 pm Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

Every circumstance is different.  Sometimes the model helps me find the location, sometimes I find it (or arrange the studio).  Heck, sometimes I even arrange for the model and another photographer.  Such is how it goes.  smile

May 27 06 06:11 pm Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Jayne Jones wrote:

-->find a location?

As was already said, it depends.

If I contact a model to shoot, I don't find a specific location until I know what she's going to be wearing. Now, for the things that I'm looking for her to wear, I have an idea of the location I want to shoot at, but if she has other outfits, I look to make sure that there's a location that's nearby that's appropriate for what we're shooting, if the same location won't take care of everything we're shooting.

Time is dependent on both parties. I have a funky work schedule, and she may have one, too. We pick out a time that's going to work for both of us. Usually, I will tell her when I'M available, she'll tell me when SHE'S available, and we'll work out a time between the two. Sometimes it works that we can shoot within a week, sometimes it's within 3 weeks.

The model should definitely have some involvement. I mean, she knows what she looks good in, what she likes moreso than others, and she may have some locations in mind. If I'm coming from out of town, I will DEFINITELY need her input on more things than if I were in town.

So many combinations.

If SHE is paying (or contacts me first), then SHE should have a good idea of what she wants.

May 27 06 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

David Scott

Marion, Iowa, US

If I go out of town to shoot with a model, unless I have been there already, I usually have the model scout locations (unless she already has some in mind), we discuss possible wardrobe, they usually find a makeup artist if they use one at all, and we just set up a place & date to meet and we get to shoot.

If they come here, I usually think of a few spots, we'll discuss wardrobe, date and place to meet, and get to shooting :-)

May 27 06 06:28 pm Link

Model

pamela mars

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Jayne Jones wrote:

-->find a location?

well-if you're new and aspiring-you don't really need pics that are that creative.
usually just the model in a studio setting works.
although-being new and doing a fashion editorial for a clothing company is lots of fun:D! one of my first shoots was an on location fashion shoot:)
t'was fun.
anyway-i'm getting far off topic so.......yes.   uh huh.tongue.

May 27 06 06:32 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Thanks for all the feedback and compliments. 

I guess I'm trying to figure out what to do.  A photographer contacted me to shoot, he says he's new to the craft.  I don't know if he has a studio or not.  I don't know if he wants to shoot outdoors or not.  When I ask, he never answers the question, but he did mention he wants to shoot glamour and maybe some nudes.

I just don't want to label him a GWC so quickly. . .and after all, I am technically a GWP.

I can certainly understand if he wasn't from here, but he is.  I don't know if he prefers to shoot outside or if he wants to shoot indoors.  I'd prefer to not shoot nudes outside if I don't have to (i.e. the photographer is willing to shoot inside, some only shoot on location).  Plus, I'm not so sure I want to shoot nekkids with this guy.  Not because he's new to the craft, but because I can't seem to get a handle on the details about the shoot though I've asked several times.

May 27 06 06:47 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Did you look at his work?  A lot of it?  Is it wonderful?

If so, what difference does it make if he asks you to do some things?

And if not, what difference does it make if he asks you to do some things?

What you will get from the shoot will be, AT BEST, as good as what he has already done.

And if you can't get him to answer questions, why in the world are you even considering shooting with him?

May 27 06 06:53 pm Link

Photographer

Mikell

San Francisco, California, US

Ask him for a more detailed synopsis (preferably in writing)  of what he wants to shoot not "I just want to shoot you naked."  If he's thought this out he'll have at least a vague idea. Also have you seen his work?

May 27 06 06:58 pm Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

Jayne Jones wrote:
if you had contacted them about a shoot. . .should they be expected to offer to help in those areas?

expect nothing. rather, communicate clearly up front, explaining each of your goals for the shoot. show appreciation for help where offered.

May 27 06 06:59 pm Link

Photographer

Samantha_Gatt

Brooklyn, New York, US

Electra T wrote:
The photog i'm working with now is really great. She picked out the location and the MUA...cause I am a clueless dunse. I'm just bringing myself and some clothing changes.

Aww wink

May 27 06 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

Mikell

San Francisco, California, US

Electra T wrote:

Post the shots ASAP

May 27 06 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

Aperture Photographics

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Jayne Jones wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback and compliments. 

I guess I'm trying to figure out what to do.  A photographer contacted me to shoot, he says he's new to the craft.  I don't know if he has a studio or not.  I don't know if he wants to shoot outdoors or not.  When I ask, he never answers the question, but he did mention he wants to shoot glamour and maybe some nudes.

I just don't want to label him a GWC so quickly. . .and after all, I am technically a GWP.

I can certainly understand if he wasn't from here, but he is.  I don't know if he prefers to shoot outside or if he wants to shoot indoors.  I'd prefer to not shoot nudes outside if I don't have to (i.e. the photographer is willing to shoot inside, some only shoot on location).  Plus, I'm not so sure I want to shoot nekkids with this guy.  Not because he's new to the craft, but because I can't seem to get a handle on the details about the shoot though I've asked several times.

Any photog you're working with should be able to answer all your questions and not ignore the ones you ask.  If he/she does, it's a symptom of some other issue/problem (i.e inexperience, GWC, or at worst doesn't want to come clean with the true intentions for the project).

Whether the project involves nudes or not, the photog SHOULD be able to articulate his vision, or include you in planning the vision for the shoot.  You need to have a comfort level, nude or not, so unless you have that comfort level (and maybe he has a great portfolio and therefore you're comfortable with his style?), then don't do it until you are comfortable with the whole situation.

May 27 06 07:20 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

mikell wrote:
Ask him for a more detailed synopsis (preferably in writing)  of what he wants to shoot not "I just want to shoot you naked."  If he's thought this out he'll have at least a vague idea. Also have you seen his work?

I will. I can hear the whispers already. wink

May 27 06 07:22 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

_Negatives wrote:

Aww wink

smile

May 27 06 07:22 pm Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Electra T wrote:

mikell wrote:
Post the shots ASAP

Yeah, what he sed. LOL

May 27 06 09:44 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

TXPhotog wrote:
Did you look at his work?  A lot of it?  Is it wonderful?

If so, what difference does it make if he asks you to do some things?

And if not, what difference does it make if he asks you to do some things?

What you will get from the shoot will be, AT BEST, as good as what he has already done.

And if you can't get him to answer questions, why in the world are you even considering shooting with him?

I looked at his work and agreed to shoot with him before all this arose.  He seemed to need some practice, and I do as well, so I didn't mind shooting.  Now though, I can't get an answer on if he wants to shoot indoors or outside.  Can't get an answer on when and what time.  It just seems like I'm going to have to pull the whole thing together if I want to work with him, and he's the one that sought me out.  Not to be all primadonna about the issue, but it just doesn't sit well with me b/c it feels like he doesn't know what he wants to do and that in turn doesn't make me feel very confident in him.

May 27 06 11:49 pm Link