Forums > General Industry > Pictures ending up on a stock photo site...

Model

LadyLockeout

Dallas, Texas, US

It's been recently brought to my attention that some of my images have been posted on a stock photo site without the permission of myself or my photographers. The copyright information was removed, and they were posted as "royalty free images" for the general public. The photographer in question has perused the site quite thoroughly and found some more work by other photographers that he knows. I would urge everyone to check out

www.photos.com

and make sure that no one has stolen your images without your permission, and put them up on this stock site. I've taken down all my portfolios at the moment, until I can put hidden watermarks in every image in addition to the visible ones.

May 27 06 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Photography

Valrico, Florida, US

Tell them to get the photos off their site,  or get a lawyer.

May 27 06 12:45 pm Link

Model

LadyLockeout

Dallas, Texas, US

We are currently in that process. My point to posting this was to alert other photographers and models that their images may also have been stolen and posted to this site.

May 27 06 12:50 pm Link

Photographer

Timothy

Madison, Wisconsin, US

There are 2813 pages of people photos-I can't go through them all. Besides, I doubt they took compressed low-res images off of MM.

May 27 06 12:53 pm Link

Model

LadyLockeout

Dallas, Texas, US

Don't be so sure. They took one of my portrait shots, and the only place I'd ever posted it was here. You can narrow your search options quite easily by putting in keywords

"Female" "portrait" "Goth" "fashion" etc

May 27 06 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

The Digital Difference

Lakewood, New Jersey, US

LadyLockeout wrote:
It's been recently brought to my attention that some of my images have been posted on a stock photo site without the permission of myself or my photographers. The copyright information was removed, and they were posted as "royalty free images" for the general public. The photographer in question has perused the site quite thoroughly and found some more work by other photographers that he knows. I would urge everyone to check out

www.photos.com

and make sure that no one has stolen your images without your permission, and put them up on this stock site. I've taken down all my portfolios at the moment, until I can put hidden watermarks in every image in addition to the visible ones.

Are you sure that the photographer didn't sell them?  That makes more sense to me....unless it's a non-American owner of the business overseas.

May 27 06 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

One more reason that supports not giving files away on CD's.

May 27 06 01:13 pm Link

Model

LadyLockeout

Dallas, Texas, US

I am positive. I notified him and he is in the process of contacting his lawyer and notifying other photographers whos work he has found on this site.

May 27 06 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

BCI Photo

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

I guess I have plans for Sunday after all.

May 27 06 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

If that's true and more than one or two photographers have photos used without authorization - you should get together and  have a class action case - get them shut down and make some money. Looks like they're base in AZ and NY so it shouldn't be that hard. Print out the pages and start the documentation.

May 27 06 06:28 pm Link

Model

LadyLockeout

Dallas, Texas, US

We're cataloguing everything we can find. I simply wanted to get the word out so other people could make sure that their stuff is secure. So far I haven't found anything beyond just my pictures, but I'm still looking.

May 28 06 12:05 am Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

Don't forget that to get statutory damages, you need to have the photos copyrights registered. I think you have 90 days to get it done. Check with your lawyer if they haven't told you that already.

Register each single image, because they get assessed for each image registered whereas if you register them as a whole you only get one count for all your images.

May 28 06 12:54 am Link

Model

LadyLockeout

Dallas, Texas, US

Thanks very much. I'll mention that.

May 28 06 01:14 am Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Leonard Gee Photography wrote:
If that's true and more than one or two photographers have photos used without authorization - you should get together and  have a class action case - get them shut down and make some money. Looks like they're base in AZ and NY so it shouldn't be that hard. Print out the pages and start the documentation.

This is not a certifiable class by any stretch, even if there were tens of photographers involved.

This, however, is not legal advice.

May 28 06 01:16 am Link

Photographer

Gibson Photo Art

Phoenix, Arizona, US

well I know this model looks familiar. Not sure if it's from MM or not. http://tinyurl.com/o8th8

May 28 06 01:35 am Link