Forums > General Industry > So this might be unhealthy but...

Model

-Katrina-

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Um, I was wondering....I had heard that like, if you wrap certain parts of your body with seran wrap that you want to lose weight from, that it works.
Meanin I could wrap my tummy (possibly thighs if im feelin ambition) in seran wrap and go about my day and it'll help me sweat there thus sheddin pounds from that area...
does this work? and what do you all think about it, does it sound to unhealthy or extreme...or reasonable

May 27 06 10:07 am Link

Model

Arthur's Town, Cat Island, Bahamas

never heard of it...and I wouldn't think that is too safe

May 27 06 10:09 am Link

Model

Laura Merced

Austin, Indiana, US

doesn't sounds healthy and it doesn't make you lose any more weight than sitting in the hot sun...

May 27 06 10:10 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

-Katrina- wrote:
Um, I was wondering....I had heard that like, if you wrap certain parts of your body with seran wrap that you want to lose weight from, that it works.
Meanin I could wrap my tummy (possibly thighs if im feelin ambition) in seran wrap and go about my day and it'll help me sweat there thus sheddin pounds from that area...
does this work? and what do you all think about it, does it sound to unhealthy or extreme...or reasonable

Tested by quality labs.
It does not work.

May 27 06 10:10 am Link

Photographer

Mann Made Imagery

Lubbock, Texas, US

-Katrina- wrote:

some spas actually do that and also put a jabenero pepper cream on the skin before doing so in order to get rid of more toxins in the body and also works as a pain reliever for the feet because the pepper cream actually numbs things, lol.  you should really go to a sauna if you want to do that.  it will be better for you.  plus more relaxing because just wrapping yourself up may not be very good if you don't do it evenly, plus your skin can't breathe! so definitely not good.  the sauna will be able to shed pounds and reduce cellulite because it will basically melt and break down fat cell walls a bit. smile  it's also very very relaxing after a good workout.  get into a routine of working out and then hitting the sauna would be really good.  i do that on a regular basis and it's great. smile

May 27 06 10:14 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

-Katrina- wrote:
what do you all think about it

It doesn't work, but it makes for some interesting pictures smile

May 27 06 10:14 am Link

Photographer

Mann Made Imagery

Lubbock, Texas, US

TXPhotog wrote:

LOL that would be so hilarious to see!!! LOL I wonder if I can find any...

May 27 06 10:16 am Link

Photographer

Sunshine and Satin

Melbourne, Arkansas, US

Eat healthy foods, exercise regularly and get plenty of rest.

May 27 06 10:17 am Link

Model

Arthur's Town, Cat Island, Bahamas

TXPhotog wrote:

LOL I'd love to see that

May 27 06 10:17 am Link

Photographer

J Merrill Images

Harvey, Illinois, US

I think the answer is simple - you didn't gain the extra weight in that area by wrapping banana splits, oreos and fried chicken around your waist with clear wrap - what makes you think using it to lose weight will work?

Do it the old fashioned way - diet and exercise!

May 27 06 10:23 am Link

Photographer

Rich Mohr

Chicago, Illinois, US

Your skin is an organ just like your insides and needs air...
Be smart about losing weight and ask your doctor.

May 27 06 10:25 am Link

Photographer

David Velez

New York, New York, US

TXPhotog wrote:

lmao
Very funny! lol

There was a fad a number of years ago where you could wear basically an aluminum type jacket and work out in it. I think Martin Lawrence passed out working out in one of them. The spot sweating I don't think works and sometimes may be dangerous.

May 27 06 10:27 am Link

Photographer

IllusionDigital

San Francisco, California, US

you people have obviously never been around wrestlers... Not that WWE crap, but real wrestlers.

May 27 06 10:30 am Link

Photographer

CLT

Winchester, Virginia, US

You know how some women who wear really really tight bras that they have this permanent indentation at the band line? Sadly, what you described is nothing new, but it will have to be so tight that blood has trouble passing through and your skin surface deprived of air. The concept is the same as that of chinese "foot binding". The wrap itself does not help you lose weight, but rather prevents further growth of that area. It works best as a preventive measure rather than a reactive measure. Depending on the your metabolism, you might be able to lose inches, but most likely you're just redistributing fat from one part of your body to another. And you're right about it being super unhealthy.

I just woke up, sorry if this reply is not very well composed.

May 27 06 10:36 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Thuy Anh wrote:
LOL that would be so hilarious to see!!! LOL I wonder if I can find any...

I've done some GREAT Saran Wrap bondage shots.
I did one set where I had a very Goth model in a dungeon in black lingerie on an X cross with Halloween Saran Wrap (orange with black bats) around her forearms, legs, and midsection.  They were terrific.
They're all packed away in my film boxes, I'll have to dig them out & scan them at some point.

May 27 06 09:40 pm Link

Photographer

Mikell

San Francisco, California, US

I remember seeing ads for wraps made out of neopryne that was suppose to do the same thing. I'm not sure but I think the FDA made them take it off the market

May 27 06 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

Len Cook Photographer

Fremont, California, US

Pay no attention to these naysayers.  It works perfectly.  And while you're at it, you should select a nice scarf or bandana for your head.  Wear one dictionary page a day UNDER THE BANDANA pressed gently against your head.  People don't need to see it, tuck it carefully in place.  In no time you'll have a fabulous vocabulary.

May 27 06 09:51 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

Saran wrap is the same as one of those exercise suits for losing inches but the excercise suits let your skin breath and you have to drink lots and lots of water.
The excercise suits are common but just running or jogging suits are used more because they are comfortable and do about the same thing and do not feel so confining and sealed up. You still have to consume large amounts of water while doing either so you do not end up getting really sick. As mentioned in another post this technique is used alot in the sports world to lose weight in a hurry.
Sauna does the same thing as the suit or saran wrap and has the same effect if you stay in too long, you would end up in the hospital.
If you are thinking about doing anything like this, consume lots and lots of water.....lots.......before, during and after.

May 27 06 09:53 pm Link

Model

Leda Locke

Portland, Oregon, US

Hmm.  I work in a spa, and have seen many different types of wraps...

So far what I can tell is that the weight you lose is water weight, and they usually have to be more like gauze bandages, or the support bandages you use for sprained knees and stuff, not saran wrap.  Some places just coat you in whatever special goo they use and wrap you in a plastic sheet, followed by a heating blanket and a Mylar tarp.  The wraps always, always, always involve steam or heat of some kind, and you sweat like mad.  You do lose inches, but it's not permanent.  It feels...interesting, and it might get toxins out (haven't personally seen the studies on this), but overall you'e better off doing cardio and eating healthy.

May 27 06 09:55 pm Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

TXPhotog wrote:

I  used to have one on my port.

May 27 06 10:30 pm Link

Model

Amanda Jeanne

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Wynd Mulysa wrote:
I  used to have one on my port.

heh, I still do.

https://img1.modelmayhem.com/060125/23/43d859d239da1.jpg

And it didn't make me lose weight, but it DID successfully cut off my circulation to my hands and legs!

May 28 06 01:57 am Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

Los Angeles, California, US

-Katrina- wrote:

What you're referring to is called 'spot reducing' and it does NOT work. This has been proven. You may shed some water weight in the process of wrapping certain body parts or using creams that heat up when you work out but basicly the bottom line is still the same....it's all hype.

May 28 06 02:03 am Link

Model

Ellynyn

Bristol, Connecticut, US

Just like neck-sweats on horses. All it does is *maybe* take out some water weight. But wait...water's SUPPOSED to be in your body. Hmmm, doesn't make sense, does it?

Eat healthy, excercise, all you can do!

May 28 06 10:27 am Link

Model

MaryPetiteModel

Los Angeles, California, US

Peter Dattolo wrote:
Saran wrap is the same as one of those exercise suits for losing inches but the excercise suits let your skin breath and you have to drink lots and lots of water.
The excercise suits are common but just running or jogging suits are used more because they are comfortable and do about the same thing and do not feel so confining and sealed up. You still have to consume large amounts of water while doing either so you do not end up getting really sick. As mentioned in another post this technique is used alot in the sports world to lose weight in a hurry.

Exactly.  We used to do this to "make weight" for our lightweight crew (rowing) competitions in college.  This was only done on the day OF the race.  You'd wear the Saran Wrap (we used garbage bags under our sweats...lol), run for a while (not that long for some, longer for others), drink lots of water, pee lots :-), and then weigh in.  IMMEDIATELY after that, you eat!    This is something you do maybe once in a great while.  Actresses do it a lot before red carpet events; either in exercise or spa treatment (Saran Wrap) form.  I know people hate to hear it, but it DOES work to drop *water weight*...which is gained back immediately after eating/drinking.

It is definitely NOT a recommended regularly practiced dieting technique.  Healthy diet and exercise are always the best (with exercise the *silver bullet*).  But, if you have a fabulous event where you're surrounded by papparazzi, I can understand being paranoid about the cameras adding those extra ten pounds, and thus doing a something a bit more extreme to look your best.

May 28 06 11:05 am Link

Photographer

Pacific Beach Pictures

Love, Saskatchewan, Canada

I don't buy into any of that stuff. Plastic wrap weight loss, microwave tanning, bodybuilding supplements. Go all natural, better for you. Just my simple, honest opinion.

May 28 06 12:13 pm Link

Model

-Katrina-

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

So I guess Im getting that while some people dont believe it works, procedures similar to it are done in salons but more for relaxing purposes. It's definately a "dont try at home" kinda thing

May 28 06 12:19 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

do not do this - unless shooting it!

sadly it does not work and is actually bad for you
trust me
x

May 29 06 02:10 am Link

Photographer

PK Digital Imaging

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Amanda Jeanne wrote:
And it didn't make me lose weight, but it DID successfully cut off my circulation to my hands and legs!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

May 29 06 02:33 pm Link

Model

Akaii

Manassas, Virginia, US

Did i hear something about seran wrap? lol

No.. it does not work.. just makes you hot and makes from some fun pictures smile
Maybe try Yoga?

https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y82/CelestialSinn/Modeling%20Stuff/SpiceIsNiceSweatIsSweeter_pp_.jpg

(im the one in the lampshade)

May 29 06 02:40 pm Link