Forums > General Industry > supermodel portfolios

Model

_Cinnamon_

San Francisco, California, US

Has anyone here seen the portfolios of the huge supermodels--Naomi Campbell, Kate Moss and people like that. What sort of stuff is in them? Do they even really need portfolios?

May 26 06 09:17 pm Link

Model

AmandaSura

Lancaster, Pennsylvania, US

GO TO THEIR AGENTS WEBSITE AND YOU CAN FIND THEM THERE, ONLY A SMALL SAMPLE OF COURSE SINCE MOST OF THE SITES YOU MUST BE A MEMBER.

May 26 06 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

CLT

Winchester, Virginia, US

_Cinnamon_ wrote:
Has anyone here seen the portfolios of the huge supermodels--Naomi Campbell, Kate Moss and people like that. What sort of stuff is in them? Do they even really need portfolios?

i think most companies who request supermodels are after their celebrity power, and not really after their looks, body, style, etc. Thus their names supercede any images they could have in their port. Then again, I do not represent those "companies" so I don't know for sure. Just my guess.

May 26 06 09:32 pm Link

Model

Mayanlee

New City, New York, US

_Cinnamon_ wrote:

Not the supermodels, but here's the roster from a Top 10 agency (DNA)...

http://www.dnamodels.com/

Not intending to burst anyone's bubble, but if you go through the stats, you'll notice a consistent set of parameters here (for fashion modeling).

May 26 06 10:40 pm Link

Model

_Cinnamon_

Mayanlee wrote:

Not intending to burst anyone's bubble, but if you go through the stats, you'll notice a consistent set of parameters here (for fashion modeling).

Wasn't really interested in the parameters so much as what exactly goes into the portfolio when the model has a huge selection of high quality shots to choose from. And just wondering in general how the supermodels might market themselves differently than your average working fashion model.

May 26 06 10:44 pm Link

Model

Mayanlee

New City, New York, US

You'd have to ask their bookers that one... at some level, they're a brand in themselves and I think marketing is geared towards that end. The cachet of being represented by them is a big enough coup for many companies, especially smaller ones (ie, NOT Gucci or Prada).

Before supermodel status? Ya got me, but sites like IMG and DNA give a pretty fair notion of the calibre of photography and modeling in demand for that level. I'd go through European fashion mags for editorial examples and then scour the ads for the commercial viability and direction of photography for upper tier models.

May 26 06 10:49 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

_Cinnamon_ wrote:

I never saw Naomi's book.

Then again... the agencies of the supermodels are being approached with the show, the producers/designers want them to work with...

Do you really think that any of the real supermodels are going to any casting or open calls like regular, even highly paid models, but not in the supermodel category showing their books and leaving the compcards?

Don't think so.

May 26 06 10:52 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Go to FMD (www.fashionmodeldirectory.com) and search for the supermodel you want to see.  Then go to their reps' websites and find their portfolios.

E.G. Naomi Campbell has a portfolio on www.1modelmanagement.com.

May 26 06 10:52 pm Link

Photographer

Josue Pena

Los Angeles, California, US

UdoR wrote:

I never saw Naomi's book.

Then again... the agencies of the supermodels are being approached with the show, the producers/designers want them to work with...

Do you really think that any of the real supermodels are going to any casting or open calls like regular, even highly paid models, but not in the supermodel category showing their books and leaving the compcards?

Don't think so.

that is so true!
also remember....they didnt begin as super models.....
they did use to go to open calls ; )
hard work, talent and a bit of good luck and they done need compcards anymore ; )
sooner or latter........ better sooner!!! hehehe
; )

May 26 06 10:55 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

They have books and I've seen a few of them. They have 10-15 photos, 2-3 head shots, 2-3 body shots (swimsuit, short/halter) 2-3 active/sports if right for them or else fashion. Then maybe one runway, artistic or experimental type photo. A few have 1-2 magazine cover tearsheets or full page major ads (most prefer the original prints).

This is an average. There was one book that had all head shots and another with mostly body or 3/4 shots, but they were exceptions. I still have the Ford books when they published it for special clients. In that, they each had from 1-4 photos on their own page for the major talents.

May 27 06 03:11 am Link

Model

_Cinnamon_

Leonard Gee Photography wrote:
They have books and I've seen a few of them. They have 10-15 photos, 2-3 head shots, 2-3 body shots (swimsuit, short/halter) 2-3 active/sports if right for them or else fashion. Then maybe one runway, artistic or experimental type photo. A few have 1-2 magazine cover tearsheets or full page major ads (most prefer the original prints).

This is an average. There was one book that had all head shots and another with mostly body or 3/4 shots, but they were exceptions. I still have the Ford books when they published it for special clients. In that, they each had from 1-4 photos on their own page for the major talents.

Thanks--that's very much along the lines of what I'm curious about. I'm a little surprised by the mix. I would have guessed there's be more runway/artistic/experimental type photos, since maybe that would show off their talent more than a standard face or body shot. That may not be the purpose though.

May 27 06 11:19 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Hey Leonard;

I am wondering, what you've described is the average portfolio of agency models. I know, because I saw thousands of them (doing castings for shows in NYC) many of them highly paid, top models in the industry, but none of them qualify as "supermodel".

So, the question asked by the OP was regarding "supermodel portfolios", and I am really curious (not doubting your account!) have you really casted supermodels, like Naomi Campbell, Iman, Claudia Schiffer, Cindy Crawford, Elle McPherson or some of the newer models that qualify as supermodels, such as Gemma Ward, Tiiu Kuik, Adriana Lima, Omahyra Mota etc.?

I mean, they came to you, showed you their books and you casted based on those books?

Because, what I know from runway castings, ... if you as the producer want a certain model in your show, you don't ask to see their book... you know the (super)model and you ask the agency for the price for your event.

Really curious who you casted them for?

May 27 06 11:35 am Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

A few were interviews because we were looking for a specific mood for a series of concept ads. The art director and client were after a very definitive feel for the photo to target the right audience in this series.

So the decision came down to our ideas about who would be a better fit to convey this. For that reason, we needed to see their current work, their personality and their interactions with us to get a better idea of how easy it would be for me to get that mood they wanted. The final discussions were very much about gut instinct/cerebral feelings and personal tastes.

What models forget and agencies try to do is target the book to sell the marketability of the model. For this you need to show the range of the model to an audience of photographers, clients and art directors that can go from very creative and imaginative to thick skulled accountant clients (or vice-versa) that can't imagine it if you hit them over the head with the book.

So you have the problem of being creative enough to appeal to artistic types and realistic enough for real world. The top models don't have to worry about the bone heads so much, but they can't get too far out and miss them either. They have very smart agents and the models also know that. While the books can be more experimental for a while, they all tend to come back a certain "norm" (as far as function) - but the visual quality of the books are all very high (creativity and quality).

Runway casting are different, because you want the name. They get the name from the national, large client contracts and big exposure editoral gigs. So, generally, on the average, the print work is more important (millions) rather than the runway (hundreds of thousands).

May 27 06 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

A few were interviews because we were looking for a specific mood for a series of concept ads. The art director and client were after a very definitive feel for the photo to target the right audience in this series.

Okay... but, I wanted to know if you casted any of the REAL supermodels, as I described above, or well known models from major agencies, but who are not "supermodels".

Your reply shows again the regular process when you work with and select agency models, even some of the very well known, or "everywhere seen" models.

Do you know what I am talking about Leonard? I think I am not clear enough with what I am saying, which could be part of my language barrier (German).

May 27 06 02:04 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

I work with a supermodel everyday..

After the life span of all the superman..

Dont know if ya want to brag about it!!

(:-------

Hj

May 27 06 02:13 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Talbot

Los Angeles, California, US

::: pops head up, looks around  :::

May 27 06 02:24 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Iman, Namoi, Kathy Ireland, Brinkly off the top of my head. Never saw Crawford's. Namoi's tended toward the way out. Like I mentioned on another post, one book had all Harper's covers period.

May 27 06 02:25 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Iman, Namoi, Kathy Ireland, Brinkly off the top of my head. Never saw Crawford's. Namoi's tended toward the way out. Like I mentioned on another post, one book had all Harper's covers period.

Thanks

May 27 06 02:29 pm Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I'm curious about how Omahyra Mota became a major fashion model.  She's got multiple facial piercings and significant tattoos, all the things I'm always reading about being big no-nos when it comes to fashion.  I'm guessing there's a reason she's an exception.  What's her story, does anyone know?

May 27 06 04:17 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

May 27 06 06:41 pm Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Thanks, Leonard!  I actually did some Googling before I posted my question, and came across that article.  It gives a good sense of her personality, but doesn't make any mention of the tattoos or piercings.  I thought maybe someone here might know something that hasn't been written about.

May 27 06 06:51 pm Link

Model

Ellynyn

Bristol, Connecticut, US

Here's the link for Kate Moss's book at Storm:

http://www.stormmodels.com/womendetails.html?id=40

May 28 06 10:17 am Link

Photographer

Starstruck Foto

Chicago, Illinois, US

I have worked with shot promo for many supermodels.I have seen Cindy Crawfords book both when she was starting out and later,the same with Niki Taylor,Tyra Banks,Christy Turlington,Iman, etc. Upper tier models (supermodels} books are almost exclusivly covers with very little editorial.Runway iskept in a whole different book.Sept. and March edition covers are the most covited the gold and silver medals of covers.Supermodels tend to tease each other about August covers since they fall right before the giant fall season editions and are generally scraping the remaining season barrel.For supermodels its all about counting covers from different countries Sept. Vogue,March Harpers,W,French Vogue,Italian etc. Their books are  90 percent covers that they update every 12 months.Cindy Crawfords first page the last time I saw it was the cover of Vanity Fair,followed by the cover of Playboy,more mainstream even before the latest Fall editions of fashion magazines.They are booked by "special request" and tend to have a single shot full page ad in the agency books listed before the other agency girls.

May 28 06 12:40 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Starstruck Foto wrote:
I have worked with shot promo for many supermodels.I have seen Cindy Crawfords book both when she was starting out and later,the same with Niki Taylor,Tyra Banks,Christy Turlington,Iman, etc. Upper tier models (supermodels} books are almost exclusivly covers with very little editorial.Runway iskept in a whole different book.Sept. and March edition covers are the most covited the gold and silver medals of covers.Supermodels tend to tease each other about August covers since they fall right before the giant fall season editions and are generally scraping the remaining season barrel.For supermodels its all about counting covers from different countries Sept. Vogue,March Harpers,W,French Vogue,Italian etc. Their books are  90 percent covers that they update every 12 months.Cindy Crawfords first page the last time I saw it was the cover of Vanity Fair,followed by the cover of Playboy,more mainstream even before the latest Fall editions of fashion magazines.They are booked by "special request" and tend to have a single shot full page ad in the agency books listed before the other agency girls.

Thanks... that is a fantastic insight, I guess the question is finally answered.

That's great information!

UdoR

May 28 06 12:46 pm Link

Model

Victoria Elle

New York, New York, US

Mayanlee wrote:

It was really interesting to see what some of the models had as compcards on this page.  Some had what I expected to see (front large headshot, back two body shots).  Some did not (tear sheets on the compcard.  One entire card was made of them.  I wonder if this is just for on the agency site, or if the agency really scanned the tear, then sent that off for reproduction along with the rest of the card.)  Linda Evangelista's compcard is, apparently, just a water-color line drawing of her.  And she can do that, because she's Linda Evangelista.

May 28 06 04:36 pm Link