Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > My first MUA-primary collaboration

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

I have arranged a TFCD shoot with an MUA who is providing models. The primary objective is to showcase the MUA's work, not that of the models, who of course benefit too from good images.

I would assume that normal releases should be signed by each model, regardless of the fact they are "subcontractors" of the MUA.

Since both the MUA and I will be using the model's image for self-promotion, does the release need to be modified.

Is there a need for a release between the MUA and models or the MUA and myself?

May 26 06 10:25 am Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

A lot of photographers on MM are REALLY hung up about releases. Especially when most of them are hobbyists (this is not aimed at you, just a general vent) and will NEVER need a release- in fact the hobbyists seem to be the ones super hung up on the legalities of copyright, selling to stock, cropping the images and blah blah blah blah. (once again... general rant... not aimed at you).

I have NEVER signed a release for a test. Most of the time nobody does... I test with agency girls, and they are usually instructed to not sign releases.

Just don't be a jerk and try to sell the images to stock, after everybody else volunteered their time. Even though, if it is make-up focused... there probably won't be a whole lot marketable to stock.

So if you write a release, just say that everybody can use it for promotional use and that the images are never to be sold for any reason.

If the models are with an agency, you probably won't be able to get them to sign a release. And if you do, the agency probably won't send you models ever again.

May 26 06 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

You need to GRANT the MUA and the models limited licenses (not a release) so they can have prints made at their favorite photo lab.

As the photographer, you should also OBTAIN a model release from the models so you can use the photo commercially. Without a release, you can't use the photos commercially (including, IIRC here in Texas, on your own portfolio). Without a release, you also cannot grant a license to the MUA for *her* portfolio, since you are *selling* her a license in return for services of equal value.

In my TFCD release, the "CD" part is the consideration given to the model, so I combine the release and the license and put the license text in big bold letters so the model has no trouble explaining it at the counter at Walgreens.

The MUA does not need to sign a release, her likeness is not in the photo and her work is generally not novel enough to be copyrightable as a painting.

For the record, part-time photographers like myself are skiddish about legalities because we don't have time to deal with legal misunderstandings and drama. We are also publishing a lot of work online, where theft and misuse is rampant.

While professional photographers shooting for, say, a fashion magazine won't generally get in a tizzy about the retouching/cropping in the final print, you must understand that they've been *paid* for the use, it isn't part of a portfolio attributed to them. We, however, are graded by photos on model portfolios as much as on our own.

A MUA should understand that since her work is also being judged by the quality of the photographer's work. You wouldn't want the photographer going off and plastic-skinning a flawless face you created, botching the eye contrast, adjusting the lipstick hue, and then attributing you as the MUA, right?

But, regardless, part of the difference between a professional and an amateur is how they take care of business, and that includes going through the bother of making sure paperwork is in order.

May 28 06 12:49 am Link

Makeup Artist

Jessica Steele

rachelrose wrote:
A lot of photographers on MM are REALLY hung up about releases. Especially when most of them are hobbyists (this is not aimed at you, just a general vent) and will NEVER need a release- in fact the hobbyists seem to be the ones super hung up on the legalities of copyright, selling to stock, cropping the images and blah blah blah blah. (once again... general rant... not aimed at you).

I have NEVER signed a release for a test. Most of the time nobody does... I test with agency girls, and they are usually instructed to not sign releases.

Just don't be a jerk and try to sell the images to stock, after everybody else volunteered their time. Even though, if it is make-up focused... there probably won't be a whole lot marketable to stock.

So if you write a release, just say that everybody can use it for promotional use and that the images are never to be sold for any reason.

If the models are with an agency, you probably won't be able to get them to sign a release. And if you do, the agency probably won't send you models ever again.

I absolutely agree with this entire rant.

May 28 06 01:05 am Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

I think that you would be hard pressed to find a working MUA or Agency model who would sign a release for you to use their work commercially. Even if it is self promotion, an Agency would be PISSED if they were flipping through a magazine and saw a purchased ad for your photography with their models picture on it. Which is why they don't let their girls sign releases.

Everybody is so quick to talk about all these legal hassles that are so easily avoided. I don't think that all these releases do much more than serve the photographer's ego, yeah so you "own" a copyright and yu are totally going to sue the 15 year old webmodel who totally "screwed with your vision" because she decided to crop a picture. seriously, if you have a picture of a "web model", how are you actually going to use it? Seriously... who is going to bother with it? Except for people on MM or OMP.

Like I said, if a photographer threw a release at me. I would not work with him.

May 28 06 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

Ryan Colford Studios

Brooklyn, New York, US

rachelrose wrote:
I think that you would be hard pressed to find a working MUA or Agency model who would sign a release for you to use their work commercially. Even if it is self promotion, an Agency would be PISSED if they were flipping through a magazine and saw a purchased ad for your photography with their models picture on it. Which is why they don't let their girls sign releases.

Everybody is so quick to talk about all these legal hassles that are so easily avoided. I don't think that all these releases do much more than serve the photographer's ego, yeah so you "own" a copyright and yu are totally going to sue the 15 year old webmodel who totally "screwed with your vision" because she decided to crop a picture. seriously, if you have a picture of a "web model", how are you actually going to use it? Seriously... who is going to bother with it? Except for people on MM or OMP.

Like I said, if a photographer threw a release at me. I would not work with him.

My goodness Rachel, a little peeved today?  There's nothing wrong with trying to make sure that the proper legalities are observed.  Maybe you won't use the picture of the "web model" but so what..who knows what the future may hold?

Isn't it also better to make sure you're following the right protocols at the getgo rather than having to learn later on?  Isn't it also better to have the proper forms and not need them than to need them and not have them?

Lighten up, we're all trying to navigate these waters and figure out the best standard practices for ourselves and in the industry.

May 28 06 12:29 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

rachelrose wrote:

On a test.......
I would never sign a release to use my work commercially and if the model did (on a test) I would walk immediately.   Of course an agency model would know better and so this scenerio wouldnt happen on a test I would be on. 

If a photographer wants to test with the option to sell the photos it is no longer a test, it is a spec shoot and for that I charge full day rate....

another good reason to shoot with good agency models and photographers that they recommend....

May 28 06 12:35 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

rachelrose wrote:
I have NEVER signed a release for a test.

Mary wrote:
On a test.......
I would never sign a release to use my work commercially

I agree with almost everything you've said and I think it's good to re-inforce for the web people what testing is.... But.... what exactly would you be signing a release for?

John

P.S. Maybe I'm just being tricked by you guys using editorial pronouns in your comment.

May 28 06 12:47 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Mary wrote:
On a test.......
I would never sign a release to use my work commercially and if the model did (on a test) I would walk immediately.   Of course an agency model would know better and so this scenerio wouldnt happen on a test I would be on. 

If a photographer wants to test with the option to sell the photos it is no longer a test, it is a spec shoot and for that I charge full day rate....

another good reason to shoot with good agency models and photographers that they recommend....

Exactly, Mary. If there is a profit to be made on the images... say hello to my day rate. I just don't get why everybody on this site is sooo hung up on releases and legalities, and totally convinced that is totally normal for a model to sign her life away for a free test. I am not saying that it is bad to have your ducks all in a row, but I mean, come on.

It seems like the more high profile of cases I have heard of regarding releases and whatnot always included a release being signed. Remember that one with Cameron  Diaz or something a few years back. She signed a release... and still won the rights to the images, when the photographer tried to sell them years later.

I think a lot of people don't realize how much this "web" industry jargon, does not fly in the real world of modeling. I think that the term  "TFCD" is a foreign word to most agency types.

May 28 06 11:29 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

rachelrose wrote:
Exactly, Mary. If there is a profit to be made on the images... say hello to my day rate. I just don't get why everybody on this site is sooo hung up on releases and legalities, and totally convinced that is totally normal for a model to sign her life away for a free test. I am not saying that it is bad to have your ducks all in a row, but I mean, come on.

It seems like the more high profile of cases I have heard of regarding releases and whatnot always included a release being signed. Remember that one with Cameron  Diaz or something a few years back. She signed a release... and still won the rights to the images, when the photographer tried to sell them years later.

I think a lot of people don't realize how much this "web" industry jargon, does not fly in the real world of modeling. I think that the term  "TFCD" is a foreign word to most agency types.

to be clear..... The artist doesnt have to sign a release, only the model does....the model signs a release and the photographer can do as he pleases with the images and that includes selling them without giving you a dime.

If you do a test, just make sure you're doing it with good agency models....their agents won't let them sign photographers releases on a test....  I don't test PERIOD anymore, all this garbage is just not worth it.

May 29 06 12:46 am Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Mary wrote:

to be clear..... The artist doesnt have to sign a release, only the model does....the model signs a release and the photographer can do as he pleases with the images and that includes selling them without giving you a dime.

If you do a test, just make sure you're doing it with good agency models....their agents won't let them sign photographers releases on a test....  I don't test PERIOD anymore, all this garbage is just not worth it.

Oh yeah, no I totally know that. I was just saying, if somebody handed me a release, as an artist, i wouldn't sign it. i don't test a lot, and when i do it's with agency girls and photographers who are smart enough to not ask for releases, who have enough integrity to not sell the photos or use them improperly.

May 29 06 02:14 am Link

Makeup Artist

Jessica Steele

I test as much as I can. Sometimes I see potential in a photographer or model that I know won't excell without my help- or I have an idea that I need to "test" to see if it's worthy of a major shoot. Or new products that I am not adept with. I do not sign releases however- because it's trite. I have modeled with major agencies and I never signed a release (paris, milan, nyc...). As far as makeup art- I've been screwed over (had my work published with someone else's name on it- had a photographer refuse me the rights to release a photo for publication without monentary compensation (though I was not being paid- it was, in fact, a reward for my talents)- still this does not sway me to involve myself in the test release. It is petty- would get laughed out of a courtroom- and teaches us who NOT to work with.
Testing is just that- gives each person involved the chance to try out new ideas and perhaps come out with a great image in which to market our talents. It is a great idea. So is communism and insurance- but they get exploited and capitalized on all the time. Sometimes you get burned- buck up kids- it's a kookie world full of numbnuts and crooks- everywhere you turn- in all fields. Cover your ass? Be bitter?  No, just work with a better quality of people.

May 29 06 03:02 am Link

Makeup Artist

Jessica Steele

Oh, by the way- I have taken professional pictures (negatives- that I own) OF MYSELF to a photo lab and had them say they cannot print them without the photographer's release. You just sign a liability form and you are on your way.  If they are used soley for personal marketing you will not lose a law suit unless the person IN the image has a trademark face (ie celebrity).

May 29 06 03:07 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Mary and I agree on a lot of issues, but we aren't entirely in agreement on this one.  I see a whole lot of people in this thread projecting their own experiences and biases onto the rest of the community.  As is usually true of such cases, the projections just don't fit all situations.

Let's try a couple of thought experiments, shall we?

1.  Photographer hires a model to shoot some stock photos at a rate of $75 per hour.  They shoot for two hours, the model signs the stock release and is paid $150.  Immediately on getting the check, the model says, "Hey, we shot a lot of things that I really could use for my book and card.  Could I buy some prints from you?"  The photographer agrees that the model could, and after looking at the pictures, the model agrees to buy six of them, fully retouched, for $150.  He hands the check back to the photographer.

What is wrong with this deal?  Why does anyone object to it?

2.  Model needs some commercial/lifestyle pictures for her card.  She is referred by her agency to a "test photographer" who quotes her a price of $600 for the shoot to produce those pictures.  The makeup artist is paid separately by the model.  At the conclusion of the shoot, the photographer says, "You know, I really like your look, and the shots we did may have value as stock photography.  If you will agree to sign a stock release, I'll waive my $600 fee.  The model, who isn't flush with cash, agrees.

(For this purpose let us dispense with the argument about whether or not stock is a good idea for models - that's a separate issue.)

Now, what is wrong with that deal?  Should the makeup artist become offended and "walk"? 

Suppose the deal is agreed to before the shoot (in either case).  Does that somehow make it more offensive than if it was agreed after?

How is this different from a "test" or "TFCD" in which a model receives no pay, but the photographer does get a release?

Now I will hasten to add that there are lots of cases when the pictures resulting from a TFCD are of little or no real value to the model.  In such cases, the model should, it seems to me, be chastized for choosing the wrong photographer and the wrong kinds of pictures - not for signing a release.

May 29 06 08:48 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

TXPhotog wrote:
Mary and I agree on a lot of issues, but we aren't entirely in agreement on this one.  I see a whole lot of people in this thread projecting their own experiences and biases onto the rest of the community.  As is usually true of such cases, the projections just don't fit all situations.

Let's try a couple of thought experiments, shall we?

1.  Photographer hires a model to shoot some stock photos at a rate of $75 per hour.  They shoot for two hours, the model signs the stock release and is paid $150.  Immediately on getting the check, the model says, "Hey, we shot a lot of things that I really could use for my book and card.  Could I buy some prints from you?"  The photographer agrees that the model could, and after looking at the pictures, the model agrees to buy six of them, fully retouched, for $150.  He hands the check back to the photographer.

What is wrong with this deal?  Why does anyone object to it?

2.  Model needs some commercial/lifestyle pictures for her card.  She is referred by her agency to a "test photographer" who quotes her a price of $600 for the shoot to produce those pictures.  The makeup artist is paid separately by the model.  At the conclusion of the shoot, the photographer says, "You know, I really like your look, and the shots we did may have value as stock photography.  If you will agree to sign a stock release, I'll waive my $600 fee.  The model, who isn't flush with cash, agrees.

(For this purpose let us dispense with the argument about whether or not stock is a good idea for models - that's a separate issue.)

Now, what is wrong with that deal?  Should the makeup artist become offended and "walk"? 

Suppose the deal is agreed to before the shoot (in either case).  Does that somehow make it more offensive than if it was agreed after?

How is this different from a "test" or "TFCD" in which a model receives no pay, but the photographer does get a release?

Now I will hasten to add that there are lots of cases when the pictures resulting from a TFCD are of little or no real value to the model.  In such cases, the model should, it seems to me, be chastized for choosing the wrong photographer and the wrong kinds of pictures - not for signing a release.

Roger, In both of your cases 1 and 2 the artist was paid right?  I have no objection when I'm paid....The photographer can make $100,000 off the shoot and its none of my business.   

I object when the photographer does a test and everyone works free including the artist and the photographer believes as the copyright owner that he can then take the shots and sell them.  Thats not the case unless he has a model release that gives him permission to sell them and my point is.....agency models don't sign these kinds of releases because their agencies usually ok what they sign in advance.  Thats why it's a good idea if you are testing (FREE) that you test with agency models and good reputable photographers....that way you are not doing a spec shoot as a test

May 29 06 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Mary wrote:
Roger, In both of your cases 1 and 2 the artist was paid right?  I have no objection when I'm paid....The photographer can make $100,000 off the shoot and its none of my business.

Of course the artist was paid smile  And as I read a lot of the TFP discussions here on the forums I find many references to models wanting the photographer to pay for the MUA, or photographers wanting the MUA to be paid by the model . . . .

However, since we are in "thought experiment" mode, let's try another one:

Suzy, a recovering MAC "artist" who really needs to upgrade her skills and get a decent portfolio, contacts Ralph the photographer to see if he would work with her.  "I'll work for free, if you can get a good model that would help my book," Suzy assures Ralph.

About the same time, Charlene the model calls Ralph asking to pay him for a shoot for her book.  When Ralph takes a look at Charlene he decides he likes her look and thinks he may be able to sell some of her pictures for stock.  So he shows her Suzy's current portfolio, explains the situation, and tells her if she would agree to give Suzy a chance, he'll waive his fee as long as she signs a stock release.  He also promises Charlene a free reshoot if the pictures with Suzy don't work.  Suzy has learned a thing or two since leaving MAC, and Charlene agrees. 

Now here we have a "TFP" situation, with the MUA not being paid.

Why is this bad?

May 29 06 01:12 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

TXPhotog wrote:
Of course the artist was paid smile  And as I read a lot of the TFP discussions here on the forums I find many references to models wanting the photographer to pay for the MUA, or photographers wanting the MUA to be paid by the model . . . .

However, since we are in "thought experiment" mode, let's try another one:

Suzy, a recovering MAC "artist" who really needs to upgrade her skills and get a decent portfolio, contacts Ralph the photographer to see if he would work with her.  "I'll work for free, if you can get a good model that would help my book," Suzy assures Ralph.

About the same time, Charlene the model calls Ralph asking to pay him for a shoot for her book.  When Ralph takes a look at Charlene he decides he likes her look and thinks he may be able to sell some of her pictures for stock.  So he shows her Suzy's current portfolio, explains the situation, and tells her if she would agree to give Suzy a chance, he'll waive his fee as long as she signs a stock release.  He also promises Charlene a free reshoot if the pictures with Suzy don't work.  Suzy has learned a thing or two since leaving MAC, and Charlene agrees. 

Now here we have a "TFP" situation, with the MUA not being paid.

Why is this bad?

Its not bad at all because the photographer "explains the situation"  I assume that means he says "I'm going to try to sell these shots, sign here"  at that point the artist can say, fine, I know I'll get good stuff, I hope they make you rich smile     or hell no, I'm not shooting free in this case.   

The thing that artists object to is the photographer that asks you to test and than goes behind your back and uses the shots for stock or some other venture.   If thats your plan it should be said "lets do a spec shoot, I would like to make some money on this, I do not intend to share with you financially but I hope you'll do it for the great photos I'm going to give you"  now thats fair....   

Another example.....    I did an editorial (free) because it was fashion and I liked everyone on the team.......  The art director showed up and insisted on putting diamonds on everyone (the diamond company was an advertiser)   Nobody was happy because this now  is an advidorial and not an editorial and I get paid for advitorials just as if it were a commercial shoot.   I didn't walk, I did the shoot but it angered everyone on the shoot....the stylist did walk on that shoot for a number of reasons but I do have loyalty to the photographer, its a rare instance that I would walk off a shoot unless he did first and it is something he thought about....I decided to do whatever he did.

May 29 06 05:33 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Mary wrote:
Its not bad at all because the photographer "explains the situation"  I assume that means he says "I'm going to try to sell these shots, sign here"  at that point the artist can say, fine, I know I'll get good stuff, I hope they make you rich smile     or hell no, I'm not shooting free in this case.   

The thing that artists object to is the photographer that asks you to test and than goes behind your back and uses the shots for stock or some other venture.   If thats your plan it should be said "lets do a spec shoot, I would like to make some money on this, I do not intend to share with you financially but I hope you'll do it for the great photos I'm going to give you"  now thats fair....

Now we are getting somewhere!  I agree with you.

My point is to suggest that all these "never" statements are over-broad.  There can be perfectly valid reasons for people to make the choices they do, and nothing wrong with them.  As Mary points out, it's incumbent on everyone to be honest about it, but as long as that is true, it seems to me that agreements among informed, consenting adults that they are all happy with are just fine - even if a release gets signed.

May 29 06 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

I can definitely understand the issue with a true "test" shoot. Asking for releases from anyone for such a shoot would be like asking to sell a DVD of a dress rehersal. Uncouth at best.

...But the OP was asking about TFCD, not testing. The stated goal was that the MUA wants to build her portfolio, the photographer is wanting the same, and the models want the same.

So, this isn't a test shoot, it's a spec shoot specifically for portfolio use. This being the case, there are three legal questions that need to be addressed:

1. Is the photographer and MUA's use of the images for their portfolios considered "commercial use" of the model's likeness?

2. Is the work of the MUA covered by copyright to the extent that the photographer needs a release from the MUA to be able to (a) use it in his own portfolio and (b) "sell" it in trade for services for the model to use in hers?

3. Does the model need a license from either the photographer or the MUA to publish the work in her own portfolio?

(I'm not saying the "stock art" use of TFCD images shouldn't be a negotiating point for the MUA or the model, I'm just saying it isn't the primary reason why a photographer wants paperwork to be filed on the shoot.)

So, putting on my legal IANAL/TINLA hat, my answers to the questions are:

On the First Question:

I can take a recognizable picture of anyone on the street and sell it as art and use it in my art portfolio, but I can't sell it to be used in an advertisement. But a picture of a model posing for me in my portfolio could imply endorsement. Also, many times the photo is not taken in public, so the model has some arguable right to privacy even in my studio.

Obtaining a release from the model for the images ensures that the photographer and MUA can use the images in their portfolios, show them at galleries, publish them in art books, etc. Understandably, many releases are broad enough to drive a WMD through, which is why agencies aren't going to let their models sign them, but we're not talking about agency models on a test, we're talking independent models working TFCD.

Now, if a model is concerned about usage, they can always negotiate specific uses or limitations on use. My own TFCD model release automatically restricts me from selling the images for uses many models are concerned about: pay sites, tobacco, alcohol, pharmaceuticals, diseases, supplements, diets, dating sites, chat lines, etc. I don't sell stock art and my work is not magazine-submission-level yet, but I'd rather allay common model fears than chop off all possible future ways for me to use the image aside from my portfolio and create legal quandaries later about whether I could, say, publish a photo in a coffee table book (a commercial use, but not advertising).

On the Second Question:

By my understanding of US copyright law, normal professional makeup, even with some extreme embellishments, is not a copyrightable image. If the makeup is sufficiently novel (wildly creative face makeup, body art, etc.), it would behoove the photographer to obtain a release from the MUA for any uses they negotiate.

But unless the makeup rises to that level, the makeup artist has no legal standing, the photographer can sell the images without her permission. It would be uncivilized, rude, and blacklist-worthy of a photographer to say he won't sell the images and then do so, but proving a verbal agreement would be difficult at best.

Open communication about the nature of the shoot would be the normal way to resolve this issue so the MUA can choose to sign up or not, no release would be required in most cases.

On the Third Question:

The model does need a release from the photographer to publish any of the images in her portfolio if the publishing involves creating copies that did not exist before. IOW, a model can use a true tear sheet without going afoul of copyright law (there's all sorts of interesting arguments about derivative works and Fair Use, but I think she's basically in the clear), or can mount a print given to her by the photographer without any paperwork.

But if the model wants to publish online (where every brwser cache could unfortunately be argued to be a copy), she should obtain some written permission from the photographer. Now, realistically, no photographer (or magazine) in their right mind is going to sue a model for portfolio use, but the model might get a hard time from her photo lab while making prints. Also, if she signs with an agency and they decide to use the shot on a comp card for her, her license should cover that use.

If the MUA's specific work is copyrighted, the model would normally need a release from her as well to be "in the clear." As she would need a release from a building owner if the location required a property release. But her license is from the photographer, so the onus is on the photographer to secure releases that can be licensed to the model.

Conclusion

I look at legal paperwork for TFCD like I would a prenuptual agreement: if you seriously think you'll have to enforce it, you are a fool for working with them for free, but if you seriously think everyone will always remember and abide by the terms each participant sets out without a written agreement, you are just being Pollyanic. And if you are working with someone who won't agree to it, you'll just have to decide whether it's worth the risk of a future misunderstanding.

May 30 06 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

A. H A M I L T O N

Coventry, England, United Kingdom

Richard Tallent wrote:
...But the OP was asking about TFCD, not testing. The stated goal was that the MUA wants to build her portfolio, the photographer is wanting the same, and the models want the same.

So, this isn't a test shoot, it's a spec shoot specifically for portfolio use. This being the case, there are three legal questions that need to be addressed:

That's exactly what a test shoot is.  It's an unpaid test, certainly, but it's still a test in industry/agency terms.

There's a lot of bouncing around and questions about what makes the difference between TFP/CD and "Testing" and it's mostly just the industry you surround yourself with.  People who work with the agencies generally use the word test, and people who work mostly off the internet use the terms most common here (TFCD/TFP).

While there's little definable difference, in my mind when I hear test I generally assume it's an agency model with an established, working photographer.  If I hear TFCD I generally assume it's a hobbiest or maybe, just maybe a stock shooter.  It's a shaky distinction though because every hobbiest in the world will start using the word test if they think it makes them sound more professional.

Just my opinion.

Andy

May 31 06 08:17 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

A. H A M I L T O N wrote:

That's exactly what a test shoot is.  It's an unpaid test, certainly, but it's still a test in industry/agency terms.

There's a lot of bouncing around and questions about what makes the difference between TFP/CD and "Testing" and it's mostly just the industry you surround yourself with.  People who work with the agencies generally use the word test, and people who work mostly off the internet use the terms most common here (TFCD/TFP).

While there's little definable difference, in my mind when I hear test I generally assume it's an agency model with an established, working photographer.  If I hear TFCD I generally assume it's a hobbiest or maybe, just maybe a stock shooter.  It's a shaky distinction though because every hobbiest in the world will start using the word test if they think it makes them sound more professional.

Just my opinion.

Andy

I agree Andy, 100%  and the whole post above yours is a good reason artists need to stay away from testing unless they do it through a reputable agency who understands the photographers they work with.

May 31 06 09:43 am Link

Photographer

A. H A M I L T O N

Coventry, England, United Kingdom

Mary wrote:
I agree Andy, 100%  and the whole post above yours is a good reason artists need to stay away from testing unless they do it through a reputable agency who understands the photographers they work with.

That only leaves the question now as to where the people who aren't yet ready for agency level testing (or who are too far removed from it for that to be an option) go to get better.

Certainly it's become obvious that there aren't enough professionals out there to hire all of the hopefuls as assistants.  So...I see a place for sites like this, but I've yet to find one that accomplishes that goal.  So many of the people here believe they will make money in the industry if they continue along the path of Internet model/photographer and "portfolio development."

Yet so many photographers and models get better and better only to continue shooting the same crap that while technically proficient, falls short of any sort of norm or standard that's useful to basically any commercial project.  It's sad really, because it's such a great tool, it just doesn't come with an instruction manual.

Andy

May 31 06 11:58 am Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

Mary wrote:

A little harsh there.

I program computers for a living, and you can bet I don't trade jack for my professional "day rate" like I might have a decade ago to work with some great company or on some great new technology.

So, if you want to insulate yourself within the walls of agency work and have the contacts, location, and experience to do so, that's your call.

But if you want to insist on redefining "Internet TFCD" to identical to "Agency Test," you shouldn't be surprised when you aren't on the same page with those of us who don't speak the same language as those who work regularly with land-based agencies.

We don't speak the same language because we don't work on the same economic principles as agency-centric people. Some of us sell stock images. Others charge models and MUAs. Others charge models and beg MUAs. Some have private collectors, run erotic pay sites, or are just hoping to someday get gallery showings or achieve coffee-table-book status. The underlying economics of agency work are all driven by commercial clients and through the agency, making the interactions between participants much simpler, cleaner, and standardized. And I'm not going to knock that system, it's a good one that puts food on a lot of tables.

All I'm pointing out is that the photographer, model, and MUA should all come to a clear understanding about each others' use of the photos, and the best way to do so is a negotiated, written agreement, whether the shoot is paid, discounted, or TFwhatever. No trickery, no attempts to exploit someone else's work, just an honest understanding of what each person wants to get out of the shoot.

May 31 06 08:20 pm Link