Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Help! 911......... Dry, cracked , bleeding lips!

Makeup Artist

Ivy Lam

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

What's the best way to get rid of dry, dead skin on lips. How do you properly prepare lips for lipstick application?

Thank you so much for sharing your tips!
Ivy

May 25 06 11:44 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

Moister is good, apply some Vit. E to the cracked bleading area these will need time to heal so i hope your not shooting cracked bleading lips tomorrow. and if you are tell your model to gob on the the vitimin E lips heal fast but nothing is a mirical smile
Also you can put on lip stick, might not be the most plesant thing for a model but they are just a prop any way:)   ( kidding ) just watch the lips durring the shot and keep an eye on splitting
hope that helps... Mandy of Deadly Design Make-up Artistry

May 25 06 11:47 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ivy Lam

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

is there a way to get rid of the hangy pieces of dead skin on the model's lips..I have heard vaseline and a baby's toothbrush....

any other tips?
ivy..thanks Mandy!

May 25 06 11:50 pm Link

Model

Constance Hilory

Mobile, Alabama, US

I had the same problem at a shoot once and the MUA used Rosebud lip balm on my lips.

May 25 06 11:51 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

using a sea spong ( you can get little ones at the drug store or health food stores) and little lip exfoliator or VIT E and gentily rub away the dead excess skin. You can also just apply lip exfoliator ( comes in tube or a stick) like a lip balm and then ask the model to rub lips together then remove the excess with a sea spong and wipe clean and this should do the trick
Mandy Deadly Design Make-up Artistry

May 25 06 11:54 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ivy Lam

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

where can i buy lip exfoliator in TDot?
thanks!
ivy

May 26 06 12:38 am Link

Photographer

John Pringle

New York, New York, US

The model is suffering dehydration and better be careful before their other organs start shutting down. Being boderline anemic helped me realize that, also having virtually no appetite, even when I should be hungry. It used to bother me more in the winter. Viamin-E works, B-12 also, gatorade helps or some water with electrolytes. minimum sugar diet too. protein helps.

May 26 06 01:03 am Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

IVY  check out Complections international store, they should have it . They are located on Charles st.  theres a make-up supply store on Young st. Ohh gosh i dont remeber what its called ,m y brain is still asleep. smile

May 26 06 10:32 am Link

Model

CUnique

Bowie, Maryland, US

Dry?
Chapped?
And bleeding???

This is a model???

No, I mean...I can't remember the last time I saw someone with all that going on except a small kid (which still isn't right on the parents end).

Well, if it is you then you have to take care of that situation before you even think about applying makeup...your lips need to heal.

Sleep with vasaline on your lips throughout the night...alot of it...and keep reapplying what comes off everytime you wake up to go to the restroom.

In the future you have to prevent it...by basically using chapstick or lip gloss.

Now that I think about it...it can be caused by harsh makeup and lipstick...try out lipsticks before applying to the lips and if your lips feel dry after 30 minutes then that lipstick is excessively harsh...you might want to find your favorite colors in glosses that aren't so drying on the lips...some lipsticks I had to throw away soon after buying because its just not worth it.

:-)

May 26 06 10:44 am Link

Photographer

name name

New York, New York, US

Deadly Design Make-up wrote:
IVY  check out Complections international store, they should have it . They are located on Charles st.  theres a make-up supply store on Young st. Ohh gosh i dont remeber what its called ,m y brain is still asleep. smile

The Complections store got downsized and sort of sucks. That and Samantha ran away with and disappeared with $800 of my bf's money, lol. I haven't been by there lately, but they didn't have much the last time I was there.

Industry Cosmetics is on Yonge St by Wellesly, on the second floor right next to Curry's and Hiscott's is also on Yonge St, just a few stores south of the Tutti Fruitti candy store on the corner of Carlton/Yonge.

Try Sephora - I know Smashbox has a lip exfoliant, and I'm sure out of the gazillion brands they carry, there ought to be at least ONE lip exfoliant product.

xo.

May 26 06 11:46 am Link

Model

afton_marie

Houston, Texas, US

try sugar, like worked in something to make it paste-like (vitamin e oil, vaseline, vegetable oil, whatever)... have the model smush it around for a little bit then tissue it off... sugar is the best exoliant ever, i swear by it... also, it's the active exfoliant in this lip exfoliant my friend pays a fortune for... good luck...

May 26 06 11:57 am Link

Model

Arthur's Town, Cat Island, Bahamas

This is great information. I have pretty dry lips and feel like I've tried so many things. Chapstick is my best friend and they still feel dry.

May 26 06 12:05 pm Link

Model

butchscrumper

North Chicago, Illinois, US

Try, that healing lip treatment by Chanel. I was suckered into purchasing it, haha. But it actually worked.

May 26 06 12:41 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Andrea L. Dow

Costa Mesa, California, US

I have found my new best friend in Chapstick Overnight Lip Treatment.  I get terrible chapped lips and a nervous habit of chewing on them whenever I can feel the dry skin.  Bad combo for healing purposes.  I have used lots of products before but this one is the first one that really did feel like an "overnight" success.  My lips have been smooth and feel healthier than ever since I started using it, and now I only use it when I start to feel them chap up again.  I would definately reccomend it to any models that have this problem to use before we shoot.  Who knows, it might even work a bit to apply while you are doing the rest of the make, then wipe off before the lipstick goes on. If nothing else it will sooth their lips some.  For the flaky lips the wet toothbrush thing works, but you have to rub softly with it.  I would imagine that any exfoliation concoction listed would work and then slather with balm for as long as possible before the lipstick needs to go on.  But I am telling you, I would be a spokesperson for this Chapstick - my lips look and feel so nice now.

May 26 06 07:49 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

AlwaysMadeUp wrote:
The Complections store got downsized and sort of sucks. That and Samantha ran away with and disappeared with $800 of my bf's money, lol. I haven't been by there lately, but they didn't have much the last time I was there.

Industry Cosmetics is on Yonge St by Wellesly, on the second floor right next to Curry's and Hiscott's is also on Yonge St, just a few stores south of the Tutti Fruitti candy store on the corner of Carlton/Yonge.

Try Sephora - I know Smashbox has a lip exfoliant, and I'm sure out of the gazillion brands they carry, there ought to be at least ONE lip exfoliant product.

xo. Industry  and Hiscott's that was the one's i was thinking of I just couldnt remeber to save my life smile Thanks hun, and really Sam ran off with someones money thats very weird. I thought she was still running the store.ohh well good luck exfoliating lips smile

May 26 06 07:57 pm Link

Model

ModelPrincess

Linthicum, Maryland, US

Ivy Lam wrote:
is there a way to get rid of the hangy pieces of dead skin on the model's lips..I have heard vaseline and a baby's toothbrush....

any other tips?
ivy..thanks Mandy!

When mine are dry I get a wet washcloth and exfoliate away, then put on a moisture rich lipgloss..........or my favorite Mac lip glass

May 26 06 08:36 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MAKE UP BY ROSE

Brooklyn, New York, US

mac lip prep & Prime is also great to try...its not to greasy & prevents the lipstick from bleeding

May 26 06 08:38 pm Link

Model

Naomi Jay

New York, New York, US

Aquaphor (available in drug stores).

May 26 06 09:48 pm Link