Forums > General Industry > Chicago Agencies

Model

Laura F

Cleveland, Ohio, US

I've been contemplating whether or not I should go with an agency.  Cleveland doesn't have any good ones, and I was thinking about Chicago.  Being new in the business, I honestly don't know how to even go about it.  Also can anyone recommend any agencies in Chicago?

Thanks soo much!

May 25 06 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Cleveland is over 300 miles from Chicago.  No agency in Chicago will be interested in a commercial model in Cleveland.

And at 5'6" tall and 130 pounds, "commercial model" is the only kind of agency model youu can aspire to be.

Further, if you want to apply to an agency, you need pictures in the style the agency uses to market its models.  Nothing on your MM portfolio would be suitable to send to an agency.

May 25 06 01:34 pm Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

TX has a good point in that your portfolio is all glamour. There really isn't anything to entice an agency with. Maybe you could try submitting to Playboy/FHM/Maxim?

May 25 06 01:44 pm Link

Model

MonicaPrata

New York, New York, US

Wow that last comment you got was a little harsh.  He does make a good point though at 5'6 you should be 115, maximum.  For a commercial print agency, there are some in Chicago.  Ford Models is the largest and most notable but they are EXTREMELY selective, so I would reccommend getting your portfolio in spectacular shape before submitting.  Good Luck with everything, I wish you the best!

May 25 06 01:44 pm Link

Model

Laura F

Cleveland, Ohio, US

TXPhotog wrote:
Cleveland is over 300 miles from Chicago.  No agency in Chicago will be interested in a commercial model in Cleveland.

And at 5'6" tall and 130 pounds, "commercial model" is the only kind of agency model youu can aspire to be.

Further, if you want to apply to an agency, you need pictures in the style the agency uses to market its models.  Nothing on your MM portfolio would be suitable to send to an agency.

Traveling or relocating is not an issue for me.  Also, the pictures the agencies use to market their models can be easily attained.

Thank you for the advice though! ;o)

May 25 06 01:47 pm Link

Model

Laura F

Cleveland, Ohio, US

MonicaPrata wrote:
Wow that last comment you got was a little harsh.  He does make a good point though at 5'6 you should be 115, maximum.  For a commercial print agency, there are some in Chicago.  Ford Models is the largest and most notable but they are EXTREMELY selective, so I would reccommend getting your portfolio in spectacular shape before submitting.  Good Luck with everything, I wish you the best!

Thank you Monica.

May 25 06 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Laura F wrote:
Traveling or relocating is not an issue for me.

Let me make this clear:  no agency in Chicago is going to accept you while you are living in Cleveland.  It's unlikely that any agency in Chicago will even pay attention to your submission while you are living in Cleveland.

Commercial print agencies do not recommend that models relocate, and they do not recruit from outside their areas.

Laura F wrote:
Also, the pictures the agencies use to market their models can be easily attained.

That's good.  Be sure to let us know when you have them.

May 25 06 01:50 pm Link

Model

Laura F

Cleveland, Ohio, US

TXPhotog wrote:

Laura F wrote:
Traveling or relocating is not an issue for me.

Let me make this clear:  no agency in Chicago is going to accept you while you are living in Cleveland.  It's unlikely that any agency in Chicago will even pay attention to your submission while you are living in Cleveland.

Commercial print agencies do not recommend that models relocate, and they do not recruit from outside their areas.

That's good.  Be sure to let us know when you have them.

From your remarks I highly doubt that you care whether or not my portfolio is marketable or not.  ;o)

May 25 06 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

What matters is what the agencies want, not what I want.

May 25 06 01:57 pm Link

Model

MelissaBaker

New York, New York, US

Laura,
There is a VERY good agency in Cleveland. Docherty Agency. They used to be Ford and is ran by alot of the same people. Talk to Joan there, she is very knowledgable and will give you up front information on what you will /wont be able to do in the business. They are a paying agency, and I personally worked for them for 2 years and was paid well. The problem in Ohio is work is so few jobs in between. I would work maybe once a month.While your in Ohio though, go see them.
www.dochertyagency.com 

Good luck to you hon-
Melissa and Becky Baker

May 25 06 01:59 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Mohr

Chicago, Illinois, US

Laura F wrote:

From your remarks I highly doubt that you care whether or not my portfolio is marketable or not.  ;o)

Laura,

I'm in Chicago. Chicago is a commercial market. You would need some commercial images to catch the eye of an agency here. It may have not been the most tactful way to state the facts but unfortunately TX is correct.
Best of luck to you!

Rich

May 25 06 02:02 pm Link

Model

Keni

Cary, Illinois, US

Hi Laura,

As Rich said, Chicago is a commercial market.  It's also a very competitive one.  They are also very particular about where you are from.  Even being in the suburbs can prevent you from getting a job because of the commute, so if you are serious about this, you would need to relocate.  Maybe you have a friend that you can crash with for a few months to test the water.

There are many good agencies here for commercial work - Ford, Arlene Wilson, BMG, Elite to name a few of the larger ones that have commercial divisions.  They also have Lifestyle divisions that you may fit.

Good luck to you!

May 26 06 09:57 am Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Laura F wrote:

What does caring have to do with it?
Do you want the truth or not?
Okay,  so we will speak to you as they do to me.
With a nice little sweet voice or else you will be scared and run away.
Okay, now in my sweetest voice possible.

Your chances of success are slim.   good girl, good.

Now, rub my tummy and Pay me now.

May 26 06 12:47 pm Link