Forums > General Industry > To good to shoot with you?

Photographer

Uvision Media LLC

Central Square, New York, US

Have you ever lost jobs because people assume you're too good to charge a price that they can aford? I run into this problem from time to time and I'm not sure how to deal with it with out loosing the big paying jobs.

May 24 06 09:17 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Rafael  Alvarez wrote:
Have you ever lost jobs because people assume you're too good to charge a price that they can aford? I run into this problem from time to time and I'm not sure how to deal with it with out loosing the big paying jobs.

Ask them what their budget is and that you are eventual willing to work within THEIR budget!

May 24 06 09:20 pm Link

Model

StacyJack

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

LOL

May 24 06 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

UdoR wrote:

Ask them what their budget is and that you are eventual willing to work within THEIR budget!

Said that been there.  In a few months,  maybe the story can be told.   

When it gets too low it is offensive to ethics of the business.

4 days Work completed quickly with no pain is often better then 2 days work at higher pay with a headache.

May 24 06 10:04 pm Link

Photographer

Uvision Media LLC

Central Square, New York, US

UdoR wrote:

Most of the time I don't even get that far into things. A few I found out later on down the road that they wanted me to shoot for them but they thought I was gonna charge them way to much. When I do talk with them about what their looking for I usualy seal the deal unless I don't really want to shoot for them lol. Some people just seem to avoid the talk because it's kind of like a car sales man. they don't want to waist my time if they don't have the money. Again I'm not assuming this is happening I know it is lol. I've had people tell me that was the case.

May 24 06 10:04 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

I do the TFP thing, so it's not that...

But in all my time of approaching people to shoot, I have only ever been turned down by ONE photographer.  New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles?  No problem.  Some dude in Wisconsin?  Too good to even consider the idea, apparently.

:p

But after I started asking around more, doesn't seem like he's very well received by most anyway.

May 25 06 02:15 am Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

The best was a posting I saw for a 2nd shooter for weddings. I replied with just my portfolio and equipment list, and the guy responded saying I was out of his budget.

Not that I'm good or anything. Hell I still eat ramen every week.

May 25 06 02:23 am Link

Photographer

David Johnson

Fayetteville, Arkansas, US

Rafael  Alvarez wrote:

I have got that quite a bit actually. I have had 2 walk aways, that went to another photographer who charged them almost 3 times what I was charging. I asked them later why and they said cheap prices, cheap work and photography. they wanted quality. The other Photographer offered them no more than what I offered and his quality was less than mine. After that I raised my prices considerably and I have not regret it once. I actually get people who are willing to spend money for quality and they are more serious about thier work. When I charge less, I had more people wanting hand out and they really didn't care about quality. I call them Flea Market shoppers. My clients now, shop at Macy's..... Know what I mean.

May 25 06 02:26 am Link

Photographer

XposurePhoto

Houston, Texas, US

Rafael!...I have had the same problem you have so I understand completely, that is why I will be placing prices soon in my site to weed out the lowballers and get the real customers with out missleading them or wasting my time, I hate having prices posted, but that is the way some areas work, at least for the regular stuff.

May 25 06 02:26 am Link

Photographer

BCADULTART

Boston, Massachusetts, US

At my age and with my experience, I just tell them: "If you have to ask how much I cost, you can't afford me".

After you have been in the business for over 25 years around the world you will understand.....

May 25 06 02:28 am Link