Forums > General Industry > Photographers and GWC's alike do you ever ask...

Photographer

Vizionz

Richmond, Virginia, US

why the hell do you even bother? After all the cancelled shoots? After being stood up? Lack of Money? EtC???

May 24 06 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

photos ala quang

Costa Mesa, California, US

I like to consider myself a GWC

May 24 06 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

yani

Matawan, New Jersey, US

only when reading the forums here

May 24 06 03:27 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan Aps

Miami, Florida, US

Hell no!  When I take a bad shot, I blush and work on determining why it sucked.  But I actually get antsy if I haven't shot in too long.....thats when my wife and two year old son become my photo-victims.

May 24 06 03:27 pm Link

Photographer

ChristopherRoss

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

faceoff wrote:
why the hell do I(you) even bother?

i used to, when i tried to make a living at it but now that I only do it when I want to, I know exactly why I do it ... models rarely if ever give me an error 500 and only on occasion complain that my SQL password is invalid for a domain.

May 24 06 03:31 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

faceoff wrote:
Photographers and GWC's alike do you ever ask...why the hell do you even bother?

Only when I'm leaving a voting both or paying for my Gym membership big_smile

May 24 06 03:32 pm Link

Photographer

DarioImpiniPhotography

Dallas, Texas, US

I bother because it beats engineering -- the job from hell.

May 24 06 03:32 pm Link

Photographer

Antoine McAdams

Irvington, New Jersey, US

Apfel Photography wrote:
Hell no!  When I take a bad shot, I blush and work on determining why it sucked.  But I actually get antsy if I haven't shot in too long.....thats when my wife and two year old son become my photo-victims.

Sounds exactly like me but, i haven't had any bad shoots lately... big_smile

May 24 06 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

Chuck Holliday

New York, New York, US

i only say that when i find myself responding to these girls on MM, lol. damn, my myspace-to-MM ratio is growing by the minute - my 2 big "money makers" who i work with now, i found off... myspace, which means i've worked with the same amount of people off myspace in 2 months (2) than i have off MM in over a year (2), and truth be told one of the MM ones dont count because i already knew her before this site, lol.

bottom line - to a newbie photographer just starting out and is trying to gain that momentum and early confidence, they'll consider quitting if they depended on the girls here, while some of the girls just starting out will also consider quitting after some of the ego-maniacs who stroke their ego around like theyre god, lol.

all in all, one big high school, but it is rather funny these days when people send PM's acting as if they can sweettalk their way into something, while the ones who no-showed me will post tags on my page after the fact acting as if nothing ever happened, lol.

welcome to MM. but thankfully for me, most of the models who pay are not on here and actually do it for the business and not just for the attention.

May 24 06 03:35 pm Link

Photographer

Studio Tyler

Tyler, Texas, US

I have from time to time asked myself why I put up with all of it.  There are plenty of models I would like to shoot to expand my skills and experience, but everyone wants to be paid way too much.  I would also like to be paid, but mainly do this because I enjoy it.  I know that everyone needs to eat, but I have studio rent to pay each and every month whether I shoot anything or not.  There are those times when I get so fed up with all of it that I just stop shooting models for periods of time, but silly me always comes back to it.  At the moment, I am shooting my very first commercial job and have started to shoot weddings as a way to pay my rent.  A model contacted me today through another photog looking for work, but also wants to be paid.  Why is it that the models make all the money and the photogs have to pay.  After all the shoots I have done over the years, I think that my work has reached a level of being worthy of me getting paid for a change.  However, if I keep chasing that idea, I will constantly be frustrated by all the bullshit that goes along with shooting models.   SO, I continue to seek other avenues that will make money for me and keep shooting models in hopes of finding someone I can work with on some sort of equitable basis.  Of course, if the models keep chasing the money, I think they will find that rather than filling their ports with the work they want to do, they will only be doing the work that others want them to do.

May 24 06 03:42 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

San Diego, California, US

I know why I do it, I wonder what ever made me think I could pull it off considering nothing I've ever planned worked out lol  But I think I'm starting to getting the hang of it, everyone I've worked with lately (models and MUA) has been reliable and a pleasure to work with and I've had some great experiences.

I think the key is getting a feel for when/where to put in effort, and when to just let things slide.  I've found that if you're putting in much more effort than the others, there's a good chance it will fall apart.  But if everyone makes an equal effort to do their part, keep in contact, communicate well etc. then things usually go pretty smoothly. 

So when contacting someone new, I keep it simple in the beginning and if they respond favorably I continue, gradually working up to more detail and level of commitment.  Any time I get a bad vibe I back off a little and manage the risk.

May 24 06 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

I love everything about photography.  And the time spent on shoots is only a small part of being one.

I love learning new techniques, making new contacts, networking, editing, shooting, directing, thinking up ideas, stumbling on new locations, challenging myself, etc.

And cashing the checks helps, too, I suppose...

So, I never ask "Why bother" because I already know the answer.

May 24 06 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

BCI Photo

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

I used to think like that when I moved up here to Purgatory from a very lucrative market. Now I just shoot for me, while others run around trying to shoot 100 girls a month just so they can say that they shot her.

May 24 06 04:03 pm Link

Photographer

lightsandshadow

New York, New York, US

I've worked too much to get where I am now in photography.  I'm not about to quit because a few models don't show or because it takes a lot of my time (and money).  I'm not a professional, meaning I don't make my living at this.  I do it for the pure joy of creating images I Love.

May 24 06 04:06 pm Link

Photographer

Chuck Holliday

New York, New York, US

Gary Davis wrote:
I think the key is getting a feel for when/where to put in effort, and when to just let things slide.  I've found that if you're putting in much more effort than the others, there's a good chance it will fall apart.  But if everyone makes an equal effort to do their part, keep in contact, communicate well etc. then things usually go pretty smoothly. 

So when contacting someone new, I keep it simple in the beginning and if they respond favorably I continue, gradually working up to more detail and level of commitment.  Any time I get a bad vibe I back off a little and manage the risk.

definitely and thats the key too that i dont think some other photographers realize, is that being too intense is too much for the average brain. sometimes its about keeping it simple and generic, because its along the lines that everybody can understand right away and be able to feel more like they can relate to.
i've heard some horror stories about how some photographers will say this and say that as if theyre god before the shoot even begins, so its definitely a balance.

if anything else, some of the more newer shooters just dont understand how to manage photography the business from photography the opinion, and its a major difference. i've seen a photographer discontinue contact with a girl because she didnt invite him over for dinner, meanwhile she's one of the biggest names in her respective market, but he chooses to stop working with her or feature her on any of his projects. thats bad business decisions, lol.

like i said, the balance has to be made. you could go grey trying to count on girls on here for scheduling and making it to shoots, but hopefully everybody can keep their spirits up and know that this site and its flake haven doesnt reflect the real aspiring model who is hungry and actually wants to make money instead of wanting to just be popular. but at the same time you have to see the red flags - if she/he hasnt updated her port in months but is trying to say she's dependable (obvious red flag), you know chances are theyre not going to show up. they have to be logical in understanding that sometimes they have to face reality and put their foot down and stop trying to hope that one day it will work. as much as some photogs like to hold out hope that one will work out, they have to put foot down and think logically and empliment rules. and trust me, those who have no intent on showing up dont like rules and will steer away from you when noticing them.

May 24 06 04:06 pm Link