Forums > General Industry > One more thread for the day. I goofed.

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

So, Jessica Jill (MM##102226) came to Phoenix for the weekend. We shot a bunch of studio stuff. Saved the images to the hard drive, and everything went fine. Then on Monday we went up to Strawberry, Az and shot in the rushing, gushing Fossil Creek.

First, I set my 81B warmup filter on a rock. And while I was doing something else it fell into the creek. Gone. That doesn't bother me that much since it was a cheap-o tiffen filter and I rarely ever use it.

But then..

I'm shooting. I'm in the middle of the creek, about thigh high. I forgot that my CF cards (which I hadn't backed up for the day) were in my back pocket. And I dipped down into the creek about chest high.. Immediately I realized the err's of my ways and popped up out of the water and took them out of my pocket and said "SHIT!"

They were in a Lowepro CF card wallet, further protected by the little hard plastic cases that comes with the cards. There was a little moisture in the cases.. I took out the card and blew into the contacts, praying for a miracle. I set it on the rock for about an hour to dry it out even more. Then one more blowing of the contacts and popped it into the camera. Fingers crossed.

"This Card Cannot Be Used"

FUCK!!!

I read some forums trying to see if there is a way to recover.. They all say that water will not kill CF cards. But trying to use them prematurely will.

I know where I fucked up. No need to tell me. I just thought I would share this little story for your ammusement.

This is the first time in 12+ yrs of shooting that I ever lost a shoot. Luckily there was another photographer with us and he got some great shots of her so on her end all was not lost.

But I am bummed out cause I know I had some kick ass shots on that card.

Bye.

May 24 06 12:04 pm Link

Photographer

nathan combs

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

this sounds like some thing i would do i hope that a you can us a recovery prgam

May 24 06 12:09 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

nathan combs wrote:
this sounds like some thing i would do i hope that a you can us a recovery prgam

I've tried.. nada. Thank god it was only about 25 photos, but I looked on the camera before my mishap and there were definitely some winners. Bummer.

May 24 06 12:12 pm Link