Forums > General Industry > How much say can a model have?

Model

kmo

Los Angeles, California, US

Alright i was just wondering how much of a voice can a model have when it comes to her/his agency, and the type of work that they are getting her.  So, i am totally grateful that they are getting castings and go sees for me, but they are all athletic related castings, and i really want to do fashion. 
     I am 22, and i know that my time is EXTREMELY limited in the fashion world, but i also know that i can do athletic modeling until im 30 (i've been told by NIKE).  I want to ask my agency if i am being excluded out of fashion related castings, but then again, I do live in Portland, and the market here for fashion is low.
     So i was wondering, would an agency only market a model in a particular market, or am i strictly a victim of being a "resident in the fabulous fashion market of the northwest?"

May 24 06 12:39 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

The agent works for the talent, not the other way around. The only catch is, the agent has thousands of willing, anxious employers.

YOu're slightly tall for fashion, and very poorly located. I think it really is mostly due to your location.

May 24 06 12:43 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

several factors to consider (i.e., current needs of the agency's clients, marketing goals / strategies of the agency, etc.) but yes, typically you, the model, should at least be able to voice an opinion. you might be heard. you might not. again, so many factors at play.

Franck

May 24 06 12:45 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

kowens wrote:
I do live in Portland, and the market here for fashion is low.

Absent any other explanation that seems to suffice.

Generally agencies send any llamas they have who are qualified to do a job.  If you aren't getting fashion castings, it's likely for one of two reasons:  there aren't many, or any, fashion castings to be sent on (very likely) or your agency doesn't see you as qualified to do fashion.  You need to have a talk with your booker, not with us.

May 24 06 08:08 am Link

Photographer

Malloch

Hastings, England, United Kingdom

Move to Italy (Milan) or France (Paris) a lot more fashion work there and your height would be an advantage.

May 24 06 08:14 am Link