Forums > General Industry > should I be offended.....

Makeup Artist

Talitha Williams

Miami, Florida, US

I was contacted by a model for a shoot.  We have previously worked together; she was very satisfied with my work.  I forwarded her a copy of my contract; she said that she needed to show it to another model that would be at the shoot.  She then contacted me to ask if I would do a TFCD because they were kinda on a budget & testing with the photographer, mind you she has paid for my services, before....

Later I saw on the shout box that she and the other model were making arrangements to FLY somewhere to shoot with another photographer & mua.  I am not outrageously priced....I’m not even competitively priced depending on who you ask.   

Am I over reacting?  Something isn't sitting quite right... not to mention that the model has a track record of being a no call, no show....

Am I off base here?

May 23 06 09:15 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

San Diego, California, US

My opinion?  Yes, you're overreacting.  If you look for drama you'll find it.  Don't worry about what she's doing that doesn't involve you.  Don't take things personally.  If you're looking to do this as a business, treat it as a business.

All she did was ask.  Everyone is trying to get the best deal they can.  How is she supposed to know whether or not you're open to the idea if she doesn't ask?  If you don't think it's worth it, politely decline.  But don't over-analyze it.

Just my humble opinion at the moment after reading a lot of bitter posts today...

Here, kitty always makes me feel better, he's getting a workout today.... smile smile
https://home.san.rr.com/gdp/kittie.gif

May 23 06 09:25 pm Link

Photographer

YeagerVision

Los Angeles, California, US

The kitty is wise.

May 23 06 09:39 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Talitha Williams wrote:
I was contacted by a model for a shoot.  We have previously worked together; she was very satisfied with my work.  I forwarded her a copy of my contract; she said that she needed to show it to another model that would be at the shoot.  She then contacted me to ask if I would do a TFCD because they were kinda on a budget & testing with the photographer, mind you she has paid for my services, before....

Later I saw on the shout box that she and the other model were making arrangements to FLY somewhere to shoot with another photographer & mua.  I am not outrageously priced....I’m not even competitively priced depending on who you ask.   

Am I over reacting?  Something isn't sitting quite right... not to mention that the model has a track record of being a no call, no show....

Am I off base here?

Not sure what the issue is.

You received pay at one time from her, then another time she asked for TFP, then another time she was shooting with another MuA?

Was she rude about asking for TFP?

Did she set a time and date for this shoot with you and blow it off?

You did previous work with her but she's a flake?

Sounds like she's working MuA's and shooters to benefit her book.

Nutt'n wrong wit dat big_smile

May 23 06 09:43 pm Link

Photographer

FabioTovar

Culver City, California, US

looks like shes just looking for the best deal.  you can't be offended with that. you aren't her exclusive manager. all you have to say is no tfcd. thats all. she may not use you but ......... I hope your living doesn't depend on just her.

May 23 06 09:47 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Talitha Williams

Miami, Florida, US

thank u for helping me keep things in perspective...

the first time I worked with her  I was contacted by the photog,  who had her no show on him 3 times prior.  I was supposed to work with her a few weeks ago through another  photog and she was a no call no show... so when she asked I sent her the contract which explains that a deposit is required before the shoot...

nevertheless, you all are probably right and maybe I'm just agitated today...

I did suggest that she and the photographer split my fee, since they are the ones testing...

thank you again

May 23 06 10:02 pm Link

Photographer

BCI Photo

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

I understand your concern. I believe that SOMEONE must pay the MUA.

May 23 06 10:03 pm Link

Model

Christina Ilise

Saint Albans, New York, US

No I don't think that you should be offended. Maybe the reason that she is on a budget is that she's flying somewhere to do that other shoot. Anyway, you have no way of knowing what her exact financial circumstances are. You don't even know if she's the one actually paying for that trip. I wouldn't take it so personally. If you are unwilling to do TFCD then just decline the offer.

May 23 06 10:06 pm Link

Model

Catriona

Portland, Oregon, US

Um...she no-call-no-showed a photographer THREE TIMES and they were still willing to work with her?? If I were you, I would be extremely leery of offering my services without a deposit to someone with such a record of flakiness. I mean, damn.

May 23 06 10:10 pm Link

Model

Sasha J

Brooklyn, New York, US

sweetheart... this is the fashion industry... if you get offended that easily maybe its not the right field for you to be in.  if the price is not right just say no.  don't waste energy on being offended.

mwaaa

May 24 06 02:40 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

Dont ask for validation..you ARE offended, deal with that. Thats an issue about you deserving respect!
Learn how to get it by having it for yourself AND others. They dont have to get permisson from you.
And deal with the fact that you dont feel you have a right to your feelings.
Know that we are never upset for the reason we think..its always a trigger.
Although, that tells the truth, that u know you dont have a right to be bothered that they were looking for a chearper arrangement on this one.
WHO KNOWS WHAT THEIR DEAL IS AND WHO CARES -
YOU CAN DO BETTER
ok?

;-)

the problem is that you are taking offence and looking for trouble outside when the resolution will come from anaylsing inside instead.
Drama drama, its all in there!

be good and be peaceful,
do the inner work to attract great working environments

Im visualizing it for u too!

BRITT

May 25 06 10:44 am Link

Photographer

Nick Ryder

Walnut Creek, California, US

I feel your pain, but, sh*t happens...

To be honest, I am so-o-o-o sick of models who never seem to have any money for their career, for pics, or they expect the agency to pay for everything. What career does a person go into that requires absolutely no money, no sacrifice, no resources other than just showing up?

The models that make a name for themselves only shoot with the best photographers, pay when necessary, buy their own make up and such. I personally don't understand why a photographer would invest the time, money and energy into mastering his/her skills and then never expect to get any financial reward. They have bills to pay like everyone else.

The successful models that I have met are sharp business people too, they understand how things work and hire professionals to help them succeed.

If everybody would just pay for the damn services they are seeking and forget about all this TFP stuff, there would be a lot less misunderstandings.

RR

May 25 06 11:10 am Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

I would talk with the photographer who is supposed to be doing the shoot, and ask him about atleast covering the kit fee if he feels that it would be a good investment to work with this model. Also, I would tell the model that whether it is a paid shoot or not, that a deposit is required, but will be refunded once she shows up to the shoot on time and ready. If she shows up late or not at all, then that is her problem.

I feel that it's important for the model to actually show up to her shoots, and not pull the no-call no-show crap. There are tons of other models out there who are willing to work, and I feel that the photographer, mua, and stylist's time should be valued, as they could be doing other things, or working on other jobs.

May 25 06 11:29 am Link

Model

elisabeth1986

Charleston, Arkansas, US

Nick Ryder wrote:
I feel your pain, but, sh*t happens...

To be honest, I am so-o-o-o sick of models who never seem to have any money for their career, for pics, or they expect the agency to pay for everything. What career does a person go into that requires absolutely no money, no sacrifice, no resources other than just showing up?

The models that make a name for themselves only shoot with the best photographers, pay when necessary, buy their own make up and such. I personally don't understand why a photographer would invest the time, money and energy into mastering his/her skills and then never expect to get any financial reward. They have bills to pay like everyone else.

The successful models that I have met are sharp business people too, they understand how things work and hire professionals to help them succeed.

If everybody would just pay for the damn services they are seeking and forget about all this TFP stuff, there would be a lot less misunderstandings.

RR

Why should models pay for everything? i know several photographers that don't accept tfps and expect models to do the paying- but then the model will eventually get tired of paying u over and over again and not getting paid. get with a company that pays you and the models and the muas etc. thats the real business.

May 25 06 11:36 am Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

I always find and pay for my own MUA. I think the photographer has enough to do. I also always bring my own hair/makeup supplies just in case. I don't think a little money for an amazing look is so much to ask to better my career. Its in investment like a million people have said. And a lot of MUA will only charge a kit fee!! If someone is willing to help you for a mere $25 then geez do it already. I am sick of models/photogs complaining about such a small expense, that in the long wrong improves the photos 110%.

May 25 06 11:41 am Link

Photographer

BCI Photo

elisabeth1986 wrote:

Why should models pay for everything? i know several photographers that don't accept tfps and expect models to do the paying- but then the model will eventually get tired of paying u over and over again and not getting paid. get with a company that pays you and the models and the muas etc. thats the real business.

If you want the best, you most often have to pay for it. Plus you have to remember that businesses and agents aren't allowed on here, so you have to do for self.

That's why.

May 25 06 11:42 am Link

Model

elisabeth1986

Charleston, Arkansas, US

BCI Photo wrote:

If you want the best, you most often have to pay for it. Plus you have to remember that businesses and agents aren't allowed on here, so you have to do for self.

That's why.

Oh i agree. I've paid for photographers but no muas only cuz there are none in wv and sometimes the photographer has said its been taken care of and it really wasn't. Im just saying for a photographer to charge the model to pose for them, to pay for the cd, to pay for the time, and the mua and hairstylist is silly. Once in awhile it is fine but for a model to do that everytime she has a photoshoot is silly. jmo though

May 25 06 11:46 am Link

Photographer

David Scott

Marion, Iowa, US

It's best to put your feelings to a vote.  Whatever the majority of people say is how you should feel.   smile

May 25 06 11:46 am Link

Model

Aila Rose

HUBERT, North Carolina, US

I think that maybe you are over reacting just a bit. I agree don't take it personal. Its quite possible that the photographer she is/was flying to offered her and her friend a paid shoot. If she was having financial difficulties then maybe she accepted a paid shoot before a TFP/CD. I know as a model with finacial difficulties myself, i accept paid shoots before TFP/CD. As much as I like a photographers work that I've worked with prior if I have to pay him/her for a shoot I'll take a paid shoot before anything else. It isn't personal towards the photographer, Its just a matter of the Benjaments.

Aila Rose

May 25 06 11:49 am Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

elisabeth1986 wrote:

Oh i agree. I've paid for photographers but no muas only cuz there are none in wv and sometimes the photographer has said its been taken care of and it really wasn't. Im just saying for a photographer to charge the model to pose for them, to pay for the cd, to pay for the time, and the mua and hairstylist is silly. Once in awhile it is fine but for a model to do that everytime she has a photoshoot is silly. jmo though

Unless it is a shoot for a magazine or the such, though, the model almost always pays for the mua. Atleast, that's how it's always worked at the shoots I've done. Sometimes, the photographer will waive his normal fees if you pay to work with a certain mua that he wants to add to his book, or one that he works with often. Working with an mua can make a photoshoot much better than if the model has to do her makeup on her own...especially if she does not know the tricks to stage makeup, lighting, or what looks best for certain types of shots. I've seen some models coming out looking like the lead singer to Twisted Sister when they tried to put their own makeup on for a photoshoot, simply because they didn't know when to stop applying. A good mua will know what works best, and they should be paid for that, I think. Makeup isn't cheap, so why should the mua do her job for free?

May 25 06 11:58 am Link

Photographer

Jose Luis

Dallas, Texas, US

Claire Elizabeth wrote:
I always find and pay for my own MUA. I think the photographer has enough to do. I also always bring my own hair/makeup supplies just in case. I don't think a little money for an amazing look is so much to ask to better my career. Its in investment like a million people have said. And a lot of MUA will only charge a kit fee!! If someone is willing to help you for a mere $25 then geez do it already. I am sick of models/photogs complaining about such a small expense, that in the long wrong improves the photos 110%.

Dang girl- since you rolling like that- fly me to your hood and I will shoot ya.  1st class, please.  (kidding)

-Jose

May 25 06 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

BCI Photo

elisabeth1986 wrote:

Well, that depends on who writes who first and the terms of the shoot.
Have you found a good MUA in your area yet? For they make or break a shoot as far as i'm concerned.

May 25 06 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

BCI Photo

BeccaNDSouth wrote:

Unless it is a shoot for a magazine or the such, though, the model almost always pays for the mua. Atleast, that's how it's always worked at the shoots I've done. Sometimes, the photographer will waive his normal fees if you pay to work with a certain mua that he wants to add to his book, or one that he works with often. Working with an mua can make a photoshoot much better than if the model has to do her makeup on her own...especially if she does not know the tricks to stage makeup, lighting, or what looks best for certain types of shots. I've seen some models coming out looking like the lead singer to Twisted Sister when they tried to put their own makeup on for a photoshoot, simply because they didn't know when to stop applying. A good mua will know what works best, and they should be paid for that, I think. Makeup isn't cheap, so why should the mua do her job for free?

Which is my criteria when it comes tro models wanting TFP with me. At LEAST pay the MUA, $40 isn't sh*t to invest in yourself.

May 25 06 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

MS Graphix

Denver, Colorado, US

Talitha Williams wrote:

If she pulls this kind of crap, she is not a model, she is just a person with online pictures.  To rise to the dignity of a model, she has to be professional, and professionals do not pull crap like no call/shows.  Even if she only models occasionally, while she is involved with modeling, such as scheduling, showing up, etc. she should at least be professional for that limited time.  My pet peeve are LMC's (last minute cancellations) like "my brother-in-laws cousin's cat died and I had to go to the cat funeral, yada yada yada..and was so upset I could not call. . . ."

May 25 06 12:36 pm Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

BCI Photo wrote:

Which is my criteria when it comes tro models wanting TFP with me. At LEAST pay the MUA, $40 isn't sh*t to invest in yourself.

Exactly! Of course, it all depends on how many looks you want, and how long the shoot is, too. The mua I prefer (will have to find a new one in Germany) charges around $120-$300 for around 3 looks, depending on what looks you do, and how much makeup is required. I think she charges more for some things, but it varies. She is one of the best in her area, too.

I don't think investing a little money into making yourself look wonderful is a bad thing. Of course, I also know how to do my own makeup, so that doesn't hurt either! See...being involved in acting helps with modeling, too!

May 25 06 12:59 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Talitha Williams

Miami, Florida, US

Aila Rose wrote:
I think that maybe you are over reacting just a bit. I agree don't take it personal. Its quite possible that the photographer she is/was flying to offered her and her friend a paid shoot. If she was having financial difficulties then maybe she accepted a paid shoot before a TFP/CD. I know as a model with finacial difficulties myself, i accept paid shoots before TFP/CD. As much as I like a photographers work that I've worked with prior if I have to pay him/her for a shoot I'll take a paid shoot before anything else. It isn't personal towards the photographer, Its just a matter of the Benjaments.

Aila Rose

thank u for your thoughts, but i think that maybe u misunderstood the situation... she asked me for tfp/cd, I thought the photogrpaher was the owner of the pics and therefore is really the only one who can decide who gets what....anyway, even if he is paying her(I'm not sure one way or the other)  the flying was her expense not his. 

I just dont usually pay for a service and then the next go round expect that it will be free...but thats me...u never know unless u ask, i guess...

May 25 06 02:59 pm Link