Forums > General Industry > Photos too good?

Photographer

J Tate

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Do you ever have a shoot go so well that even though you only want to use 1 or 2 shots to keep variety in your profile ... you love about 10 of them! Sometimes it's frustrating when I have a shoot I like that much.

Then on top of that you have to decide which images to remove ... but of course you dont want to remove any because you like them all or they wouldn't be there!

May 23 06 08:22 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Yeah.  Often.  You really have to learn to give your photos the Nazi treatment.

May 23 06 08:25 pm Link

Photographer

vanscottie

Winnetka, California, US

one or two shots!

I get over 100+ keepers on every shoot, but then I shoot close to a thousand pix of diff outfits and settings

May 23 06 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

IllusionDigital

San Francisco, California, US

I'm going to be brave and cut my MM portfolio to 10 images...they can go to my website if they want to see more.

May 23 06 08:28 pm Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

I usually have a lot of time narrowing it down.  A lot of time it's between at least 20.  Unless the photographer was using film and didn't take a lot of shots.

May 23 06 08:28 pm Link

Photographer

J Tate

Nashville, Tennessee, US

vanscottie wrote:
one or two shots!

I get over 100+ keepers on every shoot, but then I shoot close to a thousand pix of diff outfits and settings

I mean you only want to use 1 or 2 in a portfolio of 20 - 25. There may be 100 that are great ... but about 10 that are so damn good you cant decide which to use.

May 23 06 08:30 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Kevin Bargeron wrote:
I'm going to be brave and cut my MM portfolio to 10 images...they can go to my website if they want to see more.

I cut mine back to 16 and will probably go to 12.  Three rows.  I agree that any those pix make curious can go see the blog or my websites.

My current real art portfolio has eight images in it. 

-Don

P.S.  I actually started cutting back here when told to remove several images.  I simply didn't replace them.

May 23 06 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

NHFOTO

Los Angeles, California, US

This is a good problem to have!
Much better than trying to find one or two.  lol

May 23 06 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

I have a pretty steady ratio of 20/17, which means that for 20 frames, I get about 17 distinctly different images.

I don't shoot until I like what I see and I never shoot in burst mode.

The problem was that I started to get a headache to decide which ones I should select and edit for the model.

I found a simple solution, I make a quick selection for myself and then upload images, marked as proof to my photobucket archive and I let my clients get the headache... big_smile

Then I edit the selection for them.

May 23 06 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

Well......when I shoot film I have a kill ratio of about 23 from 27
(I stretch my film in my M6 and my F1)

And when shooting digital I shoot sets of 80 and get at least 65

Shooting hundreds of photos of the same thing (MODEL) is useless
(unless it`s a 65' or 66' GT350 or an original GT40 then no amount of photos is enough)

My biggest problem is selecting the best work, which becomes frustrating when there`s so many great shots, it just works that way for me.....I rely strongly on the model`s imput after shoots, for I like to proof the results with the models there, that way I have their opinion right away and then if there`s stuff I like that they did`nt select, that will be used for my further projects etc. along with the work picked originally

100 photos on here is`nt enough to show the variety of styles that I can accomplish smile

May 23 06 08:47 pm Link

Photographer

J Tate

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I think I need something like voting on my pics. Not like voting against other members ... just something where people can vote for which they think are my best shots.

May 23 06 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

Hoodlum

Sacramento, California, US

Nope....... Any shoot has only one best. All the rest are inferior.

May 23 06 09:05 pm Link

Model

Cristal Steverson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Dan  Hood  MM/Moderator wrote:

I agree... but deciding which is best is the issue

May 23 06 09:11 pm Link

Photographer

ChrisCorbettPhotography

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, US

Couldn't disagree more. Sometimes nothing's worth keeping, other times several images are worth using. But then my locations often tend to be very different from one shoot to another. A location that is optimal for one model may not work for another. Serendipity sometimes is a factor.

May 23 06 10:46 pm Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

I haven`t shot inferior work for 8 years hehehehe LOL!!!! wink

............the first 3 years were the hardest tongue dammm it took a while to get a niche' but, I`m really glad I found it in something I really love

May 23 06 11:07 pm Link

Photographer

Antoine McAdams

Irvington, New Jersey, US

J Tate wrote:
Do you ever have a shoot go so well that even though you only want to use 1 or 2 shots to keep variety in your profile ... you love about 10 of them! Sometimes it's frustrating when I have a shoot I like that much.

Then on top of that you have to decide which images to remove ... but of course you dont want to remove any because you like them all or they wouldn't be there!

Yes, it's all in how creative you are and I have a young mind full of creativity...so I shock my self sometimes...big_smile

May 23 06 11:10 pm Link

Photographer

Wolf 189

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

J Tate wrote:

It all depends on the photographers' personal standards.

Sometimes people simply get used to what they do and they think everything they do is good!

They get comfortable in their little corners, worlds and points of views.

The day that you thought majority of your shots are great, is the day that you have stopped trying to be/get better.

Just an opinion of course!

May 23 06 11:27 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

J Tate wrote:

I'm pretty ruthless when it comes to editing.  I look at it as a totem pole.  No matter how "good" any one might be, there's another one better.  You pair down and pair down until you only have one.

There are times, though that I shoot specifically to use multiple images.  I have a collage comprised of images that were shot for the purpose of having those 9 or so viewed together.  So in a way, I suppose I had to have 10 of them that I really liked in order to have a set of 9...

May 23 06 11:39 pm Link

Photographer

Fotticelli

Rockville, Maryland, US

I always go for one photo from each look or idea even though I may shoot 20-300 pictures of it depending if posing is static or if I'm trying to catch the action. It usually get's better as I shoot so the best pictures are by the end of each series. Sometimes I click just so the model gets in the groove and picks up momentum. These I usually delete in the camera during the shoot. If I see what I wanted then I stop so no I don't have a problem of having too many to choose from.

May 23 06 11:41 pm Link

Photographer

JulianRancePhotography

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

I'm happy that everybody here thinks about sharing their work on MM.  My problem is that I am addicted to shooting and not posting images.  Thus websites, online portfolios, etc get neglected.  Does anybody have a cure for a man addicted to actually taking pictures.  I'd be willing to pay a lot for the antidote.  (LOL)!!!

I just don't get it.  I think this is a genetic disorder or something.

Seriously though...I'm to the point now, I don't even spend much time in post production.  Don't have the patience for sitting at the computer...but I'll spend hours trying to get a composition the way I want it.  What good could I possibly be to the photography world (wink)!

May 23 06 11:44 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

I am not good enough to make that decision!

If you don't mind Dan... could I sent you a link to one or two shoots and tell me which ones are the best?

I am not kidding!

May 23 06 11:47 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Heaps

Austin, Texas, US

vanscottie wrote:
one or two shots!

I've seen your port, I understand why you take so many...muses everywhere!

May 23 06 11:49 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Heaps

Austin, Texas, US

the other part to consider is what's the purpose of the shoot?  Design wise.

I often like other shots artistically but they aren't the purpose supportive shots.

I imagine TxPhotog's port is very different to that which he would've used for his commercial work, having so much experience.

May 23 06 11:51 pm Link

Photographer

Jack North

Benicia, California, US

Mr Jay wrote:
Seriously though...I'm to the point now, I don't even spend much time in post production.  Don't have the patience for sitting at the computer...but I'll spend hours trying to get a composition the way I want it.  What good could I possibly be to the photography world (wink)!

me too. I would like to do some more creative post-production, but I would rather shoot, so I try to get it right in the camera. if i do get time for creative edits, having the lighting, composition etc.. speeds post production.

May 24 06 06:52 pm Link