Forums > General Industry > Favorite Fashion Show of All Time

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

While few of us have been lucky enough to physically attend fashion shows in such far away places as Paris , Milan , London , Tokyo Rio etc -many of us have been able to attend such show " virtually "ie view them
on TV , the internet etc

So I m curious to know what peoples favorite fashion show of all time  is ,and  why

Mine - probably Alexander McQueens Spring 1998 show ( the "Walking
on Water show ") Simple,Surreal , Sexy and it showed to the world this young designers tailoring mastery .......

May 23 06 08:04 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Well, I shot hundreds of shows of top designers and even more of smaller, unknown venues...

I can't really tell which one was the best, some where just fantastic.

However, there is one show... Zang Toi, either past February or the previous September, which had this Africa theme to it... that was FANTASTIC, really cool... but a total bitch to shoot... because the whole tent was basically dark.

DCCLabs this spring was hot... now, when I am thinking about it... well... I would have to go through the archives... but I think I can say for sure that there were too many outstanding shows that I saw to name one as the single best of all of them... but Zang Toi's show does stand out as one of the best, but not THE best...

May 23 06 08:27 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I've got a lot of favorites.  I agree with Udo about Zang Toi - their shows are elegant and hard as hell to shoot.  Imitation of Christ shows are fun because you never know what the hell they are going to do.  Betsey Johnson shows are fun because she makes them fun, much as Patricial Fields does.  Instead of formal shows (which they also are, sort of) they are a party atmosphere before the show, and models clearly having fun with what they are doing.  There is some of that to Heatherette also, and the overlay of celebrities that adds to the excitement of the show.  So I don't have a single favorite.

May 23 06 10:22 pm Link

Model

Jayson R

Los Angeles, California, US

May be cliche, and I haven't had the pleasure of viewing some of the prominent shows you guys have, but I absolutely love the Victoria's Secret Fashion show every year.  Maybe it's just that I fall in love with everyone of their girls who walks the runway.....

May 23 06 10:44 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

what is a fashion show like?

May 23 06 11:03 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

UdoR wrote:
Well, I shot hundreds of shows of top designers and even more of smaller, unknown venues...

I can't really tell which one was the best, some where just fantastic.

However, there is one show... Zang Toi, either past February or the previous September, which had this Africa theme to it... that was FANTASTIC, really cool... but a total bitch to shoot... because the whole tent was basically dark.

DCCLabs this spring was hot... now, when I am thinking about it... well... I would have to go through the archives... but I think I can say for sure that there were too many outstanding shows that I saw to name one as the single best of all of them... but Zang Toi's show does stand out as one of the best, but not THE best...

DOes having to shoot the show - take any of the fun out of it for you ...I know it does for me ( and I work on a much smaller scale than yourself in NYC ) And if so are there shows that you say "damn I wish could just putdown my camera and watch this whole thing  ie the models walking the entirity  of the  runway , the crowd , the other photogs doing there thing etc ...?

May 24 06 12:12 am Link

Photographer

500 Gigs of Desire

New York, New York, US

VS 2001, NYC.

May 24 06 12:17 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Eric S. wrote:
VS 2001, NYC.

Why ?

May 24 06 12:18 am Link

Photographer

Hazel Marie Z

New York, New York, US

My very first JP Gaultier in my early 20s when supermodels still ruled the world.

May 24 06 12:21 am Link

Photographer

500 Gigs of Desire

New York, New York, US

The hottest models in the world walking towards you in see-thru underwear 20 feet away.
Plus Andrea Bocelli & Mary J Blige performed live.
And the effects, props and lighting were like Cirque du Soleil meets the Superbowl halftime show. Someone told me the budget for those shows is like $8 to $10 Million.

May 24 06 12:24 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Garry k wrote:
DOes having to shoot the show - take any of the fun out of it for you ...I know it does for me ( and I work on a much smaller scale than yourself in NYC ) And if so are there shows that you say "damn I wish could just putdown my camera and watch this whole thing  ie the models walking the entirity  of the  runway , the crowd , the other photogs doing there thing etc ...?

Actually, being in the middle of everything... being totally focused, having your colleagues around you, the clicking of the shutters all around you, the music that blasts, you are aware of everything... I had often enough feelings of euphoria when it was a great show, hot music, gorgeous models (some friends) and all just falls into place...

For me there is quite the rush, and I couldn't imagine sitting in the boring places... you know... the audience... LOL

May 24 06 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

UdoR wrote:

Actually, being in the middle of everything... being totally focused, having your colleagues around you, the clicking of the shutters all around you, the music that blasts, you are aware of everything... I had often enough feelings of euphoria when it was a great show, hot music, gorgeous models (some friends) and all just falls into place...

For me there is quite the rush, and I couldn't imagine sitting in the boring places... you know... the audience... LOL

So your not just standing there amidst the battery of photogs - clicking of a shot for every step the model takes?

May 24 06 10:45 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Garry k wrote:

So your not just standing there amidst the battery of photogs - clicking of a shot for every step the model takes?

Well, I am standing in my spot that I fought for, secured and holding from the time the media is being let in. You usually don't move from there, unless you have your colleagues that know you and hold the spot for you.

So, it's static... very static... but despite your stationary position... you become very aware on what's going on... in the end... that is your job! wink

May 24 06 10:50 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Eric S. wrote:
The hottest models in the world walking towards you in see-thru underwear 20 feet away.
Plus Andrea Bocelli & Mary J Blige performed live.
And the effects, props and lighting were like Cirque du Soleil meets the Superbowl halftime show. Someone told me the budget for those shows is like $8 to $10 Million.

So not  just another underwear show huh?  Probably be as much a I could handle just shooting the show -  the backstage action would probably be heart attack inducing  .....

Respect the vocal abilities of both singers menitoned but cant say I am a huge fan of either . However a duet between two would be rather different

May 24 06 10:53 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

UdoR wrote:
Well, I am standing in my spot that I fought for, secured and holding from the time the media is being let in. You usually don't move from there, unless you have your colleagues that know you and hold the spot for you.

Yup.

https://www.txphotog.com/Posts/saycheese.jpg

May 24 06 11:11 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

TXPhotog wrote:
Yup.

https://www.txphotog.com/Posts/saycheese.jpg

Hillarious... Dan Lecca right in the middle, I recognize the big British fella in the upper right corner... Would have been hillarious if I'd be somewhere there... LOL

But that was last year September, right?
Which show was that?

May 24 06 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

UdoR wrote:

Hillarious... Dan Lecca right in the middle, I recognize the big British fella in the upper right corner... Would have been hillarious if I'd be somewhere there... LOL

But that was last year September, right?
Which show was that?

So? TX, which show was it? I may have been to the left of the riser.

BTW, since Dan Lecca is rather to the right... I am thinking that he wasn't house at that show. (Isn't that one of the signs of Armageddon? smile )

May 27 06 11:11 am Link