Forums > General Industry > Imagery Thief

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

If  you have not seen the lovely Jacinta Lee before, do acquaint yourself with her. No, this is not a thread bashing her at all...but she's the reason I did a double take when I came across this:

http://www.myspace.com/bmd9

Her face was familiar...his collection of supposed "work" (aka 'Boytalk Photography') was not...and seemed rather fishy. So I went on a little reconnaissance mission and discovered the identity of two of the real photographers behind this poseur's showcase.

If you recognize any of the remaining images, feel free to alert the owners.

I'm feeling particularly snarky tonight and have fashioned this message to send him:

From your profile:

"Hi I'm Jerry. I'm searching for friends & anyone who's into the creative business like graphic designs or multimedia design, comics, art, photography (my no.1 passion)..."

Well, Jerry, I think it's fabulous that photography is your number 1 passion.

I hope criminal law is your second...you worthless thief.

A number of the REAL photographers (AND models) of the work you've stolen and impersonated as your own on your profile have been informed of this and will likely be contacting you shortly.

Have a nice life!

What do you think?
big_smile I did say I was feeling snarky tonight, right?

May 23 06 03:14 am Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Send it. Image thieves need to be put in their place. Did you contact the people he stole from? If not, I would strongly advice you to do so. And then send the note to him a couple days later.

Send in the lawyers...

May 23 06 03:17 am Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Pat Thielen wrote:
Send it. Image thieves need to be put in their place. Did you contact the people he stole from? If not, I would strongly advice you to do so. And then send the note to him a couple days later.

Send in the lawyers...

I've sent a message to Jacinta and to two photographers whose work I noticed from her port and her earlier work. Apart from that, I don't recognize the images.

I'm actually hesitant to send the message yet...not because I'm being nice (as if!) but because I feel that the affected parties deserve their shot before I send a message that may cause him to yank all their images before they see them.

May 23 06 03:25 am Link

Photographer

MartinCoatesIV

Panama City Beach, Florida, US

I know one of the models he has shot with "Teye" she has the same pics with his tag on her site. I didnt see the anypics out of the listed port. So if he was stealing he at least lost the ones you mentioned.

May 23 06 03:28 am Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

MartinCoatesIV wrote:
I know one of the models he has shot with "Teye" she has the same pics with his tag on her site. I didnt see the anypics out of the listed port. So if he was stealing he at least lost the ones you mentioned.

So you're saying at least one of the shots is actually his? Interesting. This one is a example of the thievery:
https://img530.imageshack.us/img530/6792/darkvisionsiibyjerrygo3mk.jpg
The piss poor brushover of the original stamp is a dead giveaway. The image is actually by DarkVisions. Ben Heys' shot of Jacinta is also stolen.

May 23 06 03:33 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

nihilus...you are the mattlock of the photo world!!!

May 23 06 05:27 am Link

Model

Sirensong

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Myspace are pretty crap at dealing with copyright theft sadly.
Out of the girls I have known it happen to some actually have had THEIR profiles deleted in responce.
Others have had to send photos of themselves holding a bit of paper with their name and the date on to prove their identity.

There is a guy on there who claims to own the Living dead girls.
On his profile are friends claming to to model members of the living dead girls with pics also.
Complaints were made and he is still there and still making the same claims as are some of the "model" friends he has(but the model freinds have the wrong details to actually be the real girls that are being ripped off)

May 23 06 05:32 am Link

Photographer

Monique Antoinette

Bellflower, California, US

If there is a complaint filed for identity theft I know for a fact it isn't tolerated at my space. It will be dealt with :-)

May 23 06 05:39 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

The "Contact Me" animated video sequence at the top belongs to a talented artist in Los Angeles.

In any case, it's always polite to contact the person who's images have been taken without permission.

I have a pretty vast presence under another name and I always appreciate emails when people see my images layered into ads, etc., without my knowledge or permission.

Recently, some people at DPReview forums spotted one of my photos lifted from my other pbase galleries used as a main feature photo by a software company out of Hongkong. They were offering a software for mass high speed collecting and organizing of photos off the Internet like free stock photography, LOL. They were also selling a clone of Pbase and hitting on photograpers at similar websites to come to them with membership fees waived. Right. Then they use or sell the photos themselves, directly or indirectly. "Free material"

Particularly in Asia, many people feel the "product" belongs to the person who sells it. Many people have no concern at all for where it comes from. They see something they like, "collect samples and information" then internalize it as their own brilliance, hard work and creativity.

Kind of like plundering the rain forests and other natural resources ... the wood "belongs" to the guy who chops it down.

Insulting the guy won't make any difference. Notifying the original artists of the theft is a professional courtesy.

May 23 06 09:45 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

Nihilus wrote:
The piss poor brushover of the original stamp is a dead giveaway. The image is actually by DarkVisions. Ben Heys' shot of Jacinta is also stolen.

Maybe Boytalk's idea of creative graphics is to put his name logo on other photos he likes as mock photo ads.

May 23 06 09:53 am Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

BCG wrote:
nihilus...you are the mattlock of the photo world!!!

lol

Those damm 65 year old punks!

I say we blast'em full of Polygrip big_smile

May 23 06 10:04 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Hell, if you are going to complain, complain here where the images are served from and screw MySpace for the complaint. MySpace are NOT actually hosting the images anyway, imageshack is:

http://reg.imageshack.us/content.php?page=email&q=abuse

The two JL jeans images are: http://   +

img530.imageshack.us/img530/6792/darkvisionsiibyjerrygo3mk.jpg

img526.imageshack.us/img526/6350/catlikeibyjerrygovinden0fp.jpg

Where ever this fool lifted them from he apparently didn't change the file names either.

Studio36

May 23 06 10:23 am Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

isn't this guy on myspace called Jerry ?
do we know hes not the same guy ?

May 23 06 10:34 am Link

Model

Miss Gi-G-Spot

Scotland, Georgia, US

Been there , had that done.

Neither Imageshack OR Myspace gave a nuts.

Sorry.

May 23 06 02:43 pm Link

Model

Miss Gi-G-Spot

Scotland, Georgia, US

Been there , had that done.

Neither Imageshack OR Myspace gave a nuts.

Sorry.

May 23 06 02:43 pm Link

Photographer

Philip of Dallas

Dallas, Texas, US

Good for you, Nihilus. And your message is priceless! LOL

May 23 06 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

kf4vkp

Jasper, Georgia, US

So he's a GWC but no film?

May 23 06 02:51 pm Link

Photographer

lightsandshadow

New York, New York, US

I saw a few photos he took off of flickr.com also.  What nerve!  Send in the info and fry the guy!

May 23 06 03:02 pm Link

Model

Alli Michelle

Miami, Florida, US

I had an imposter.Myspace took her down after I sent them a pic of me with my friend ID #.

May 23 06 03:11 pm Link

Model

Alli Michelle

Miami, Florida, US

funny thing is on his profile he has a ton of pics that asre obviously by like 4-5 different people atleast none of them are the same style or clarity.

May 23 06 03:14 pm Link

Photographer

Cassandra Panek

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Nihilus wrote:
not because I'm being nice (as if!) but because I feel that the affected parties deserve their shot before I send a message that may cause him to yank all their images before they see them.

COUGHCOUGH screencaps, Nihilus. screencaps.

May 23 06 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

Darrell

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Nihilus wrote:
If  you have not seen the lovely Jacinta Lee before, do acquaint yourself with her. No, this is not a thread bashing her at all...but she's the reason I did a double take when I came across this:

http://www.myspace.com/bmd9

Her face was familiar...his collection of supposed "work" (aka 'Boytalk Photography') was not...and seemed rather fishy. So I went on a little reconnaissance mission and discovered the identity of two of the real photographers behind this poseur's showcase.

Send Myspace a Notice of Infringement (NOI). The NOI has to be from the copyright holder. Yahoo has a pretty good template that you can change to MySpace.

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/copyright/copyright.html

I have used that format several times and it has worked all the time.

Darrell

May 23 06 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Synthetic Shadows wrote:
COUGHCOUGH screencaps, Nihilus. screencaps.

Yeah, I know.

He's since yanked the specific images I mentioned, although as the link to the image above is still active, it appears they are still hosted on his imageshack account.

May 23 06 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

DarkVisions

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Nihilus wrote:
So you're saying at least one of the shots is actually his? Interesting. This one is a example of the thievery:
(image snipped)

Hey, I recognise that shot!  I should... I took it.

I got a note from Nihilus about this one and chased it up.  "Jerry" was nice enough to include his full name on some of his watermarks... considerate, I thought.  I wrote a couple of e-mails to MySpace and ImageShack, then one to "Jerry":

"Jerry,

I'm glad you like my photography, but it is not only rude to steal it, modify it and claim it as your own, it is also illegal and punishable by Law.

The images in violation of my copyright are [...] I would appreciate your immediate removal of the offending pictures as well as an apology so that further action is not required.

I appreciate your prompt assistance in this matter.

Yours sincerely,

Dark Visions"

I think I was much nicer than Nihil, actually.  [chuckles]  Certainly a lot nice than I -wanted- to be... "Dear A**hole..."

Incidentally, the pics have now been removed from his MySpace site, but not from ImageShack, as yet.

Many, many thanks to Nihil for being decent, looking out for others when he had nothing to gain from it and generally bringing this to my attention and thanks also to Anjel Britt for giving me the link to this Forum.

Sorry for the length of this post, but I'm still fuming over this.  The thing that annoys me most is that he does this, gets busted, shrugs, takes the pics off and moves onto ripping off the next artist with no repurcussions whatsoever.

Sometimes there is just no justice.

-= DarkVisions

May 25 06 09:48 am Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Just trying to help. smile I never sent my version of the message. I figured I didn't have the place to be irate...so I let those who were actually the victims of the theft do the talking for themselves.

In the end, the best way to look at it, I suppose, is as the rudest, most tactless form of flattery to a photographer.

May 25 06 09:57 am Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

Justice ? indeed !
well, let's all make the world so that there is.
i am a Libran...working for Justice
for all!!!!!!!!!

lol

peace

May 25 06 10:19 am Link

Photographer

Z_Photo

Huntsville, Alabama, US

if those are copyright registered, the old boy can be stuck until he squeals and bleeds money

May 25 06 10:23 am Link

Photographer

ChristopherRoss

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

Z_Photo wrote:
if those are copyright registered, the old boy can be stuck until he squeals and bleeds money

that's my answer as well ... why play nice? everybody should have a good lawyer and more to the point ... everybody should have a good standard letter to send to people who have stolen their images.

it's as simple as that, a few hundred to have a letter crafted, a few cents to print the offence out on paper and a stamp to tell him you're going to sue his ass if he doesn't remove the images immediately.

May 25 06 10:28 am Link