Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Start out Kit questions from a start out mua

Model

Tenielle

Spring Hill, Florida, US

Hello all!!

Please forgive my current status 'model'....im yet to start my stylist profile.. but I want to keep working up my skills before I take on that title smile May I just start out saying that I am not a model trying to steal your secrets for self benefit as a model...its an old title that deserves a rest!!!

I am an Aussie, I am currently doing a course at the Napoleon Perdis academy,an Australian brand, and its basically a start for me..as we all have to start somewhere..taking my lifelong passion...to the reality of my first baby steps on a long journey ahead in this professional industry.....

My husband is doing fashion photography, shooting model tests for the premier agency here in our city of Brisbane, submissions for aussie magazines etc, and my aim to start with is to work alongside him as the MUA.

I have developed a small kit to start out with, professional brushroll set, brush cleaner, my cleansers, primers etc all the tidbits, but I am trying to get an actual make-up kit together now and thats what my question(s) are based around. The fact that I am in Australia I am unfortunately limited on brands available. I am starting out, so I am not able to go out and immediately purchase the best of the best and the biggest variety.
I know that RCMA, cinema secrets etc come highly recommended, and I do plan to purchase from Mary's brilliant website a few of those foundations in due course: (also to start out which of those would you recommend? i hear so much about shinto)

But as for right now...If anyone could take the time, could you help me regarding a few of the things that I will need for a start-up kit, brands that you recommend professionally, particularly for photographic work
Some of the brands available here are, Bobbi Brown, NARS, prescriptives, Stila, benefit, laura mercier.. the typical counters, chanel, shisheido, lancome etc.. also cargo, Becca ... i cant think of the other main ones right now...
(Im not that happy with ALL the napoleon products and thus wouldnt build my kit based solely around them)
I understand you dont want to skip on quality, but also I will develop my kit further and update as funds allow and progress is made. But for now Im looking for good quality for photographic work, a good mix and not breaking the bank:

If you could take the time to recommend for a start up kit, I would be sooo Appreciative! If you dont have the time I understand also,
But thank you so much to those of you that respond smile
I have the crazy itch and urge to start practicing and progressing, inventing, creating, taking my mental inspiration and making it real.... My mind spins and ticks over constantly.. i just need the right Make-up to make it real smile

Looking for:

Concealers
Foundations (enough varied for just now)
Loose Powders
eyeshadows
bronzers/highlighters etc
eyebrow pencils / shadows
Blush /  good variety whether it be creams/stains/powder
Lip liners
Lipsticks/ glosses etc (again good variety)

smile THANKS so much
You may now return to your normal programming tongue

May 23 06 12:59 am Link

Makeup Artist

Andrea L. Dow

Costa Mesa, California, US

www.themakeupartist.com got to the Q & A page and search for what she has in her kit.  I think that would be a good place to start.  She also has exactly which foundations she carries, both in a set kit and full kit.  I would assume since she is a popular and working makeup artist that everything in her kit is tried and true. 

For me, I use a wide variety of products, but really when it comes to shadows and such I like getting in there and touching it.  The color may look amazing, but I need to feel how it goes on, often the color changes too much from pot to person, and I like my vibrant colors to stay vibrant.  I have found that all the lines I have tested have those colors I like and don't like, but I think that it is a matter of opinion. 

Again, an opinion matter is foundation.  I like light coverage, for soft natural looks, but sometimes I need some heavy stuff for when the skin I am working on isn't great and needs more help.  I have turned to Mary's advice for the RCMA foundation for my heavier foundation and I work with a custom blend liquid foundation for my lighter foundation needs.

This is all very general I know, but I think the products out there are often up to person preference.  What works well for some artists might not work for you, you just need to start playing with it to see what will work for you.  But again, I think checking out what Mary has in her kit will be a good place to start.

Oh, and anything you can get in pallettes is a good thing.  I learned that one later on in my makeup career and it has been invaluable in the whole keeping a clean kit and getting rid of clutter.  A bunch of pots of shadow, dozens of tubes of lipstick and masses of foundations rolling around, just aren't practical.

Andrea

May 23 06 10:45 am Link

Makeup Artist

DreadDoll

For eyeshadows... try Kryolan and Ben Nye.  They have great shades for "regular' makeup and something more creative...  The palettes are great to start out with.
NARS, Stila have nice brushes.
Foundation/Concealer - RCMA, Cinema Secrets.

May 23 06 12:47 pm Link

Model

Tenielle

Spring Hill, Florida, US

Thanks for your replies. I really appreciate you taking the time out!! smile

I have looked at Mary's kit before and read all up and over her page, there is fantastic information there!! smile

I do plan to get some RCMA & cinema secrets makeup, but that is something I have to order from overseas as it is not available here in australia!... so that will take a little time to actually get over here.

Regarding foundations, I guess I do want variety between a more natural, lighter makeup (still good for photography) But also heavier for problematic skins & different looks...

In the meantime, i was wondering what different things you may recommend out of some of the products/brands more available..from that list?
I will definately have to try around myself as to what i like, but of course recommendations from professionals with experience are much better!! smile

Thanks again guys, any of your replies are so much appreciated... living in australia in the city i live in... there arent that many professional working make up artists that are working in photography/film etc, that arent counter girls, whom I can ask questions to and approach. So Coming on here is fantastic to me...access to speak to professionals I would otherwise never have the chance to smile
So thanks again so much for any of your assistance!!!

May 23 06 05:03 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

Tenielle wrote:
Thanks for your replies. I really appreciate you taking the time out!! smile

I have looked at Mary's kit before and read all up and over her page, there is fantastic information there!! smile

I do plan to get some RCMA & cinema secrets makeup, but that is something I have to order from overseas as it is not available here in australia!... so that will take a little time to actually get over here.

Regarding foundations, I guess I do want variety between a more natural, lighter makeup (still good for photography) But also heavier for problematic skins & different looks...

In the meantime, i was wondering what different things you may recommend out of some of the products/brands more available..from that list?
I will definately have to try around myself as to what i like, but of course recommendations from professionals with experience are much better!! smile

Thanks again guys, any of your replies are so much appreciated... living in australia in the city i live in... there arent that many professional working make up artists that are working in photography/film etc, that arent counter girls, whom I can ask questions to and approach. So Coming on here is fantastic to me...access to speak to professionals I would otherwise never have the chance to smile
So thanks again so much for any of your assistance!!!

I only use RCMA and cinema secrets and cover FX Foundations as these give the best results. They are awsome pigmentaions and work wonders on all kinds of skin. They can be "cut" with a good moisturiser like Cetifeil . I do this for most projects, it makes the foundation "go further" and then your products last longer too.
I would sudgest getting a varriety of products, dont just have one brand in your kit. I would stay away from MAC, but  Paul and Joe, love the lip linners,
Anistagia Eye brow pencils are awsome. I like the Cinique Blushes, Stila blush sticks are great too, they look like little deoderant sticks, so cute and works great.
I would check out Chanle for lip sticks a bit pricy but worth every penny. smile
Make-up Forever. Love their eye shadows, and lipsticks and blushes.
Mabelleans great lash mascara is the bomb. Cheap and works great smile
I would say to try out alot of brands, go to the counter,"pretend" that you dont know anything and see if they can let you test out every thing, then ask for samples. Then later when your ready to buy see if they have a "pro card" most do, some  you need to purchase it to get the discount.
Make-up is fun but expensive find out their return policy if it doesnt work most will let you bring it back with in a certin time frame smile
well hope that helps smile..Mandy of Deadly Design Make-up

May 23 06 05:45 pm Link

Model

Tenielle

Spring Hill, Florida, US

WOW thanks soooo MUCH Mandy!
I was excited when i saw your reply, because whenever you post you have a wealth of knowledge to offer, thanks SO MUCH! smile
Ive started organising a list of products that have been recommended in each category and I will start the ''testing'' process now to decide which ones to go with for now! You all have been great help... its a great start to getting my kit... and then turning the inspiration into realisation!! smile

Not long..and hopefully Ill have my profile up and running with my working portfolio and I look forward to joining in here more! smile

TA guys.. youve been awesome

smile

May 23 06 06:13 pm Link