Forums > General Industry > shooting a new band... how much?

Photographer

Royce Ednalino Photo

Bellingham, Washington, US

a local band wants me to shoot them.. possible album cover...  im a newbie... how much to charge? your help is appreciated!

May 22 06 01:01 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

what exactly are they requesting? TFCD? prints? if so, how many? what size?

too, how much time will it take? require any special equipment? on-location during a show, or in a studio? what's standard in your area?

fml

May 22 06 01:04 am Link

Photographer

Royce Ednalino Photo

on location... photos on cd... no special equip.

May 22 06 01:07 am Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

First question - how popular is the band? Will getting a photo credit in the liner notes of their album be of value to you? Will it bring you more paid gigs shooting bands? If so, consider that, and be sure to get a commitment for that credit in writing when you create a contract for the band.

May 22 06 01:11 am Link

Photographer

Royce Ednalino Photo

not so popular yet...

and keep in mind that i've never shot a band before...

May 22 06 01:13 am Link

Photographer

Nick Ryder

Walnut Creek, California, US

RM Photography wrote:
a local band wants me to shoot them.. possible album cover...  im a newbie... how much to charge? your help is appreciated!

Needless to say the band has "no budget and struggling to keep their heads above water" is the most common scenario when comes to shooting new bands.

If you don't charge "something" then the service is worthless, it means nothing to them. I say that they should have something at stake just to attach some value to your work. It needn't be an extravagant fee, say it's a 5-piece band, if each member kicked in $20, that would at least give you $100 bucks to cover your time and gas. It's not an unreasonable request and it's a gesture of good faith from the band.

Get paid upfront if your decide to do this, always take care of business before the shooting of a band, otherwise, once the get their hands on the money, you're screwed.
That's my two cents!

NR

May 22 06 06:52 am Link

Photographer

Done and Gone

Chiredzi, Masvingo, Zimbabwe

I've shot a lot of bands. Charge $100 in CASH at the shoot. Do not take one picture until they pay. This will make them take the shoot seriously and show up looking their best. Otherwise one of them will "think it's cool" to start goofing off, sticking their tongue out etc. The reason you charge at the shoot is that they will have a new drummer next week and want to be reshot. Don't charge for prints, just do the shoot and give them all the images, digital or film. Then you can be shed of them forever or shoot them again for another $100 depending on how things go.

Have Fun, Take Pictures!!

May 22 06 09:01 am Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

RM Photography wrote:

Some opportunities are more about positioning than money.  Do it for liner credit and backstage passes.  You'll get a credit you can show, you'll meet other bands / industry folk during performances.  You won't make any money shooting bands until they land a major label...and other bands on that label come a callin'.

May 22 06 09:58 am Link