Forums > General Industry > Bikini Jan 21 Questions

Photographer

Lost Johnny

Crystal, Minnesota, US

Greetings all, am wondering about the upcoming shoot in Mexico, has anyone been there?  Is anyone going?  Any info would be welcome.

May 21 06 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

FemmeArt

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I haven't been, but I have heard that Bikini Jam is everything it's cracked up to be--great opportunity to network, practice your craft and have a fabulous vacation!

May 22 06 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Reese Photography

Brandon, Florida, US

I must have missed this memo too, what is Bikini Jam?

May 22 06 05:27 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

I'm curious where the value is to PAY Ujena to let you shoot for them?

May 22 06 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

Jack North

Benicia, California, US

I am curious if other people get messages directly from Bob? Am I special? Does he have sluggo's impersonating him?

May 23 06 07:26 am Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Jack North wrote:
I am curious if other people get messages directly from Bob? Am I special? Does he have sluggo's impersonating him?

Everyone gets them. Ujena's marketing is very good - and those emails are written to make it seem very personal. I especially like the ones where he says, "I just took a look at your portfolio, and really think we need you in the next Jam!"

Can't fault them, though. They get photographers to PAY THEM to shoot for their catalog. Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

May 23 06 12:41 pm Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

Jack North wrote:

kinda like getting an email from Tom on MySpace, huh?!?

May 23 06 12:45 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Reese Photography

Brandon, Florida, US

If i had that kinda $ I'd definitely sign up for this. Hey, maybe if I take a lead from another person here who posted about people donating a camera to him and ask for donations to send me to Mexico for this shoot I can then afford it. Anyone want to start the donations rolling?

May 23 06 12:46 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

i got an email about shooting for thier catalog in cabo..

so i sent them my commercial rates...

they were like...ugh..we want you to pay us...

i asked if they were nuts, ie: what idiot would pay "them" to shoot content for "thier" catalog...

apparently there's bunches...

May 23 06 02:51 pm Link

Photographer

Lost Johnny

Crystal, Minnesota, US

Now now, we aren't all pro's here.  I have nothing but respect for anyone who gets paid to photograph, but I don't delude myself.  There are many, many people with camera's and a small percentage of them are paid to shoot.  Look at the cost of going to school.  Here in MPLS, Brown college wants $17,000 to get there "digital photography" degree, the person who was pitching this did not know what Photoshop was and tried to convince me to pay based on pie graphs that would make Ross Perow blush.  I don't mind paying something if there is a chance of making connections and possibly getting a commercial job down the line.  As for "Bob" e-mailing everyone, yes that's true but he did respond to my e-mails personally, answering specific questions.  Again if anyone has attended I would like to hear good and bad.

May 23 06 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

Photo Graffix

Wilmington, North Carolina, US

isn't bikini jam like $2,000 now?
why not just rent a beach house and hold your own... i could pay a lot of models and get better results...

I'll call it GC "bikini jam in nc".....

then I will call the discovery channel and ask them to cover it...

May 23 06 08:24 pm Link