Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Simple Dirt/Grime Makeup

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Hey everyone,

I'm wondering if there's a relatively simple technique for creating a dirty or grimy look. I'm going to be shooting a series of photos tomorrow night (yeah, I know... short notice) and we need the model to look dirty, dishevelled, grimy -- like she hasn't bathed in months. The model can do very basic makeup, and of course I'm a complete idiot when it comes to the stuff. So, any advice for face, hair and body makeup would be greatly appreciated. I'll be your best friend for life too! Well, unless you don't want me to be your best friend.

Thanks much!

-Pat-

May 21 06 08:58 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Pat Thielen wrote:
Hey everyone,

I'm wondering if there's a relatively simple technique for creating a dirty or grimy look. I'm going to be shooting a series of photos tomorrow night (yeah, I know... short notice) and we need the model to look dirty, dishevelled, grimy -- like she hasn't bathed in months. The model can do very basic makeup, and of course I'm a complete idiot when it comes to the stuff. So, any advice for face, hair and body makeup would be greatly appreciated. I'll be your best friend for life too! Well, unless you don't want me to be your best friend.

Thanks much!

-Pat-

coffee is great for the skin and clothing for a dirty look (cooled down of course)

also, make sure you put some oil (baby oil works) on the roots of the hair,   the hair is usually the first thing to look dirty when someone hasnt taken care of themselves.

Also, adding a little purple/blue color under the eyes (where you would have naturally dark circles will add to the unhealthy, tired look)

May 21 06 09:04 pm Link

Model

Nichole108718

Lafayette, Indiana, US

If the model has long enough hair: put hair wax or mold into it, which is fairly inexpensive at any osco or walmart (3 bucks), then put it into buns about four the night before or a couple hours before the shoot, when she takes it out it will look like she hasne washed or brushed in weeks!
As far as the makeup, try a purple eyeliner just uner the bottom lashes topped with black, then the oil based eye shadow in brown/tan and waterproff black mascara, then wash the face and gently scrub the eyes to make the makeup have that i forgot to wash my face after i got home from the bar dirty look.
Hope this helps ya!

Nichole

May 21 06 09:17 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

check your mail I have sent you a detailed e-mail smile

May 21 06 09:30 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Thanks very much for all the incredibly fast replies. I've received some really good advice and suggestions and I really appreciate your time in offering them to me.

Makeup artists and stylists rock.

-Pat-

May 21 06 09:40 pm Link

Photographer

Ascending Phoenix

Lexington, Kentucky, US

Did a Dirty faced female Mechanic image..used vaseline applied very thin..followed by brake dust by her husband..

** not neccessarily recommened as brake dust can be very hazardous **

May 21 06 10:07 pm Link

Photographer

Lars KC

Kansas City, Missouri, US

For dirt/grime on skin look:  black pancake make-up applied with make-up sponge and water....lots of water, so it looks streaked and not solid.  Then spray a mix of glycerin and water over the black make-up area and smear it around.  This will give you the desired look without having to use actual brake dust or axle grease.

good luck.

May 21 06 10:14 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Make Up the Design

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Hey Pat,

There is a product that simulates dirt...without having to use real dirt!!  Get a product called "plains dust", its sold at most theatre places.  I've used it before for that "dirty" look.  It can also be used in the hair and on clothes. 
Hope that helps ya out some.

Cheers!

Venus

May 21 06 10:30 pm Link

Makeup Artist

DreadDoll

Kryolan makes something to the effect of "Dirt."
can't remember the full name, but its pretty good and it actually comes off.
Or vaseline/KY and real dirt.

Rough balck stipple sponges and black creme makeup work well too.

May 23 06 01:11 pm Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

If you look at my dirty shots, I was hosed down and then covered with top soil lol. I was told that is the cleanest dirt for getting dirty.

May 23 06 01:15 pm Link