Forums > General Industry > Sex Appeal: What does it mean to you?

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Many of the images on MM utilize sex appeal to one degree or another as a photographic attribute.  - In other words, the images are intended to appeal to the opposite sex.  While many will say all women like "this" and all men like "that", I think sex appeal is a very individual issue with no single generic answer. 

What is your personal idea of sex appeal?

What specifically attracts certain kinds of people to specific image elements. What body features, lighting, viewing angles, clothing, setting, styling and whatever do you personally find most attractive when you look at all the great work on MM.  And don't second-guess what you think the opposite sex generally wants either...  Women, what do you personally like to see in male images? Men, what do you like to see in female images?

May 21 06 12:21 pm Link

Model

JamesD

New York, New York, US

i love images that exude confidence, that shows a woman in control of her situation. A certain sultriness that exudes from the picture and makes you want that person from the moment you see her on page or film or w/e. I think that is sexy.

May 21 06 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

Glenn Tucker

Hamilton, Hamilton, Bermuda

to me sexapael starts from within the model, if a model is confident within the picture will reflect that, and to me the sexiest thing in a photo should be the models eyes they should lure you into the photo and make your imagination want more.

May 21 06 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

Zeo

Canton, Ohio, US

ah sex appeal.  To me its a about the presentation of attitude.  If  model and or the photogrpher comes to a shoot with the intention of shooting to shoot and get paid and go home, then even if the poses and shots  is EXACTLY the same, there is a LOT less sex appeal then if they  approach the shoot with the idea that, reguardless of the audiences oreintations or gender of the model, they going to make every woman that sees that shoot wet, and every guy  that sees it go off. sorryfor being crude, but that's how it geos

Attitude means everything, Video its even more true then in photograhpy.  I guess its a conbination of pheremones and visual/audio cues, but most people wil l always follow whateer thier focus is on in attitude. if you attitude is angryand you the focus. other peoepl get angry, if its sad, if its acting in a sexually provacative manner, other people get turned on.  Its group instict.

May 22 06 12:14 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:
Sex Appeal: What does it mean to you?

what time is it? and where am i?

seriously. it changes with the day. location too. what i thought in France is different from what i think here in America.

subjective. too subjective.

fml

May 22 06 12:18 am Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:
Women, what do you personally like to see in male images?

I think like most other photographers who do a lot of personal work, I shoot what I like.    My photographs are the answer to the question.

May 22 06 12:25 am Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:
Many of the images on MM utilize sex appeal to one degree or another as a photographic attribute.  - In other words, the images are intended to appeal to the opposite sex.  While many will say all women like "this" and all men like "that", I think sex appeal is a very individual issue with no single generic answer. 

What is your personal idea of sex appeal?

What specifically attracts certain kinds of people to specific image elements. What body features, lighting, viewing angles, clothing, setting, styling and whatever do you personally find most attractive when you look at all the great work on MM.  And don't second-guess what you think the opposite sex generally wants either...  Women, what do you personally like to see in male images? Men, what do you like to see in female images?

I am a photographer of the nude, but I do not see any sex appeal in photographs, or internet images. The photographs are only things of paper, with different tones.

Some images are more pleasing than others, but they are someone elses fantasy.

My turn on comes from the way a woman walks, her eye contact, and her touch, when touched.

I do see some beauty in her shadows and shapes, but these are not turn ons.

May 22 06 12:41 am Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Marvin Dockery wrote:
I am a photographer of the nude, but I do not see any sex appeal in photographs, or internet images. The photographs are only things of paper, with different tones.

Some images are more pleasing than others, but they are someone elses fantasy.

My turn on comes from the way a woman walks, her eye contact, and her touch, when touched.

I do see some beauty in her shadows and shapes, but these are not turn ons.

Some advertisers spend millions in an attempt capture and portray sex appeal in their promotional images.  As the old adage goes "sex sells".  I suppose if you are a monk, then you may be totally immune to such visual stimulus.  I am not asking whether or not you get turned on by looking at sexy pics.  I am asking what elements of a 2D image to you find most appealing with regards to viewing images of the opposite sex.  Ok, let me put it a different way. You are a single person who is to be stranded on a deserted island for some lengthy period of time with one other person and you are to make a decision strictly based on photos. Which photos would you select and why?

May 22 06 01:30 am Link

Photographer

K Leo

Chicago, Illinois, US

personal idea of sex appeal in images - Beautiful odditys and sidelong glances with the right light to make everything alright.

May 25 06 11:15 am Link

Photographer

Mark Hayes

Cotacachi, Imbabura, Ecuador

For me it's expressions. A soft smile and eye contact.  That feeling that the subject is glad you've noticed them.  Expressions create a sense of intamacy that is very sexy.    Beautful bodies but with the same static blank expression, might be artistcally pleasing, but seldom packs the sex appeal aspect. IMHO

May 25 06 11:28 am Link

Model

Phoenix E

i have to agree with what has already been said....confidence and attitude make all the difference. i like images where it seems as if the model is issuing a challenge to the camera......ummmmm. catch me if you can......
i love soft, stolen moments too, but they are beautiful not sexy....

May 25 06 07:36 pm Link

Model

The Matthew Ross

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

Sex sells, but you have to actually be SEXY to be successful.

So....whats the definition of sexy?

May 25 06 08:37 pm Link

Model

StacyJack

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:
Women, what do you personally like to see in male images?

Not much.  Male images tend to all go the same way.  all brawn, no brains, not sexy.

May 25 06 11:44 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

This is all very interesting.  Confidence is mentioned many times here. - With very little mention of actual physical characteristics of the model.  I guess it shows the importance of attitude over physical form.  But 2-D photos are really just an illusion, aren't they?  A culmination of light, subject composition, and a certain way that the subject is poised.  What gives the sense of confidence in a pose? Chin up? Shoulders relaxed? or is it all in the eyes?

May 26 06 01:42 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

What is sexy? A girl with a great smile and a tight butt who likes activities where one grits ones teeth to get through (snowboarding, shark fishing, rough sex, vehicle maintanence, etc.).

May 26 06 01:45 am Link

Model

MELissaMOORE

Fairfield, California, US

I am attracted to some of the female models too I must say.
I have a taste 4 petite blondes???
Kisses,
MEL

May 26 06 01:48 am Link