Forums > General Industry > Modeling Agencies / Management

Photographer

D B V C B

South San Francisco, California, US

I have informally managed a model, and I've come to the conclusion, that I don't know what Im' doing, and she would be a thousand times better off, with professional management, who knows what they are doing and are hooked up, etc. 

Does anyone have any ideas or experience hooking up a model with a legitamate agency??  Can anyone recommend any agencies that can get their clients good work?  Her interests: just about anything not nude. 

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm just a publisher...

May 20 06 10:40 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Defunktmagaz wrote:
I informally manage a model, and I've come to the conclusion, that I don't know what Im' doing, and she would be a thousand times better off, with professional management

You've come a lot farther down the path to wisdom than many others.  Welcome.

Assuming she's also in San Francisco there are several good agencies in the area.  Which one is best for her, and how to get her into one, depend on her and her interests.  Without knowing a lot more about her I can't hazard a guess as to how you should proceed.

May 20 06 10:44 pm Link

Photographer

Nick Ryder

Walnut Creek, California, US

Defunktmagaz wrote:
I have informally managed a model, and I've come to the conclusion, that I don't know what Im' doing, and she would be a thousand times better off, with professional management, who knows what they are doing and are hooked up, etc. 

Does anyone have any ideas or experience hooking up a model with a legitamate agency??  Can anyone recommend any agencies that can get their clients good work?  Her interests: just about anything not nude.

It's refreshing that you have came to a logical conclusion regarding managers, in an industry where every successful model has a "manager" and/or agency, it is discouraging when the gwc's see them as a threat and refuse to deal with managers, have even given them names like "sluggo's". it's too bad that for many models, this their only frame of reference to learn about the modeling biz.

Thanks for giving managers their due respect.

May 21 06 02:22 am Link

Photographer

Malloch

Hastings, England, United Kingdom

Great to see someone that knows their limitations and are not afraid to say so. Pity that all so called 'managers' thought like this. Some are good but most I have come across have no idea of what they should be doing for the model.

May 21 06 02:26 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

soooo many try to be managers; you've humbly admitted it's beyond you ...

for your model friend, has she done her homework & checked out some of your local agencies' websites? most of them, in the photos shown, offer very strong clues as to the type "look" they like to represent & how they market [it] ...

fml

May 21 06 02:29 am Link

Photographer

D B V C B

Thanks for good words everyone  I've found some bay area agencies for her to send pictures and resumes to, maybe they can help her out, maybe not in any case I'll never forget that movie "Star 80". 

What is a "GWC"???

May 21 06 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

GWC = Guy With Camera.

Well, since you've chosen not to give us the specifics on the model, I can't help you with getting her into an agency.  Good luck to her.

May 21 06 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

D B V C B

haha...thats really kind of cute!  (GWC)....  I got someone suggesting the "only three agencies that matter" so I think we are all good.

May 21 06 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

Morton Visuals

Hope, Idaho, US

I would recommend that you start by looking at the SAG agencies list.

May 21 06 01:33 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Defunktmagaz wrote:
haha...thats really kind of cute!  (GWC)....  I got someone suggesting the "only three agencies that matter" so I think we are all good.

No, you are only "good" if she happens to be the kind of model that they are looking for, and if you approach them in the right way.  But, as I said, good luck.

May 21 06 02:20 pm Link