Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > bleaching your hair

Model

B Charles Johnson

New York, New York, US

so i have light brown hair but i want to bleach it nearly white. i was just wondering how damaging this would be ? does it completly ruin your hair? Does it make it grow slower? does it break really badly?

May 20 06 05:58 pm Link

Model

Sherri Snyder

Los Angeles, California, US

Unfortunately, this is about the most damaging thing you can do to your hair.  Just how damaging it will be depends upon the current condition of your hair (if it is already processed or is virgin hair) and if you have a professional do it or not.  I used to have platinum hair and I had to keep it relatively short due to breakage, etc.  So, you would likely need to cut your hair much shorter than the medium length it says in your profile because the ends will be particularly damaged when the hair is bleached.  Plus, from my own experience, the upkeep can be a pain---roots show very quickly so you need to have it touched up frequently. 

If you decide to go through with this, BE SURE to have a professional do it and then use a really gentle non-detergent shampoo (i.e. Pureology or Enjoy or along those lines) and a good, intense moisturizing treatment every time you wash it.  Also, avoid using any sort of heat on it (blowdryer, etc.) whenever possible.

That said, it has been awhile since I used to have my hair bleached so it is possible that there are gentler options out there that weren't around a few years ago when I was doing it.  Still, it can be very hard on the hair.  I know it is a great look, though.  Good luck.

May 20 06 09:24 pm Link

Model

Sherri Snyder

Los Angeles, California, US

One more thing...Bleached hair can also pose a problem if you want to revert back to darker hair because the bleaching process makes the hair very porous and it will not hold another color very easily.  But, for a guy with short hair, I suppose it wouldn't be as much of a problem to just cut the bleached sections out once you've decided you're through with it.

May 20 06 09:31 pm Link

Model

B Charles Johnson

New York, New York, US

thanks so much for all that information. now i am questioning whether or not to do it.

May 21 06 10:29 am Link

Model

MarleneM aka Mimi

Jamaica, New York, US

You also have to consider the natural pigment of your hair. Consult a professional for this, as your pigment might not reach a platinum blond color. My dark hair, for example, will only lighted to a certain level before it starts turning gummy & breaking. I can't reach a color lighter than a gold-blond.

-Studio 7

May 22 06 07:35 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Robin Dorton Head Candy

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

If you have naturally light brown hair and no previous hair color on it, the hair will be much easier to lighten.  You may not even have to "bleach" it to get it a very light blonde if that's the case.  Otherwise, yes, it is damaging to the hair.  But it can be done nicely and with as little damage as possible if done by an experienced and educated colorist.  Typically, going to a platinum blonde works and looks better on shorter hair.  So it's possible to do for you.  I would suggest finding a good colorist and scheduling a consultation.  Please don't do it by yourself!  I've done A LOT of expensive and time-consuming color corrections on at home hair color!

May 24 06 09:10 am Link

Model

B Charles Johnson

New York, New York, US

oh alright i did not know that. well about 2 months ago I got my hair darken, but it faded and you can see the blonde highlights that were there before. so i guess its light enough to not damage my hair too greatly.

thanks for all the help

May 24 06 04:30 pm Link