Forums > General Industry > Erotic Art Show--> What sells?

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I'm acquainted with someone that runs an erotic art show once a year in Albuquerque and she's presented me with the idea of entering some of my work. The fee is small, but my concern is that I don't really have any "erotic" art to present. She defined erotic as whatever is erotic to the photographer, but that doesn't help me out.

My work (that would qualify for this) is more artictic/fine art type and I don't consider it sexual at all. I don't have any fetish, toy, BDSM, etc. work at all, not am I interested in doing it.

Does anyone else have experience with these kind of shows and what "lightly-erotic" art might sell? I am told the exposure might be worth the small entry fee, but unless I actually drive down for the event, I won't really be able to talk to anyone that sees me work.

Thoughts?

May 20 06 05:41 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Anderson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Ask friends and relatives.  If they are honest they will tell you what they believe is erotic.  Funny thing, I just asked a female model today and it was very enlightening to here what she believes is erotic.

May 20 06 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

The problem with that theory is that my freinds and family are not the type of audience that would go to an erotic art show and buy photos. smile

May 20 06 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Look at some other erotic art festivals - see if that kicks anything loose for you.

I exhibited in the Seattle Erotic Arts Festival this year - seattleerotic.org - a bit on the 'alternative' side, but it still might be helpful.

At the end of the day, my mantra when thinking along those lines is that if it turns me on, it succeeds. Art is subjective, yes?

May 20 06 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Duvall

Seattle, Washington, US

I would really think through why you are making an image. If you set out to create something erotic, explore your own sexuality, your models etc. Dont get a focus group involved. Some of the largest mistakes I have ever made with gallery submissions were when I asked for input from a group of friends. I hit a moment of indecision and asked them to vote on which iamges to submit. The jury drop kicked me out the door. I asked my friends to pick images they thought would sell. Big mistake. They chose things most similar with work they had already seen by others. They knew that would sell.

Look for images that you are passionate about. That sing to you. Forget about outsmarting buyers, jurors or reviewers.

May 20 06 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

Singularity Phase

Austin, Texas, US

Austin has a great event once a year called "Art Erotica". The images are really across the board and vary tremendously by artist. I think a lot of the images seen on MM would sell - art nudes or near nudes. The event is very popular.

May 20 06 06:14 pm Link

Photographer

FemmeArt

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

My advice would be to avoid focusing on "what sells."  Rather, shoot from your heart, create beauty as you envision it and it will definitely sell to those to share and/or appreciate your vision.

May 20 06 06:40 pm Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Thanks to everyone - some good replies.

But can I/should I display photos in an erotic art show if I'm not interested in doing erotic art? Granted, someone else might consider some of my "artistic nude" photos as erotic even if I don't, but is that too much of a stretch and am I exposing my work to the wrong audeince if I submit to this theme?

May 21 06 12:35 am Link

Photographer

Zeo

Canton, Ohio, US

I wouldn't worry about that.

wahtI would suggest in your case though since you don't like "smutty" sde erotica, is come at it classically.   Maybe redo the Sistine's birth of man  with a woman, or smething like that.  Or do the thinkiner with a woman, and so on.

May 21 06 12:46 am Link

Photographer

Reggie Simpson

Princeton, West Virginia, US

Erotic art can go into many directions. It all depends on how far you are willing to take it. I'm an artist & when I say Erotic Art I mean an artistic nude . I personally try not to go to far but some do. I've still seen others work who do go to the extremes & it was excellant .You've gotta stay true to yourself though.

May 22 06 07:32 am Link

Photographer

ChristopherRoss

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

Shotgun Divorce & Trailer Parking are erotic images, and Roots is wondeful.

It all depends what people think is erotic,  I think one of the reasons men love classic cars and WWII fighters is that they're erotic, not sexual but graceful with sexy lines.

May 22 06 07:43 am Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

thisismyurl wrote:
Shotgun Divorce & Trailer Parking are erotic images, and Roots is wondeful.

It all depends what people think is erotic,  I think one of the reasons men love classic cars and WWII fighters is that they're erotic, not sexual but graceful with sexy lines.

as are the one on the toilet(Waiting patiently) and the Nipple(red hair) shot,
Toss in a few of you basic nudes and you can easily fill a show booth.
Erotic shows have a wide lattitude,
leather and ball gag shots are not the only things that qualify.

May 22 06 08:38 am Link

Photographer

LRTMedia

Chattanooga, Oklahoma, US

Joeys Angels wrote:
My advice would be to avoid focusing on "what sells."  Rather, shoot from your heart, create beauty as you envision it and it will definitely sell to those to share and/or appreciate your vision.

I'm in this boat as well.

Erotic/erotica...whatever term we use is VERY subjective, and it depends on whatever you think...which may very well differ than from what I think.

Erotica may differ from sexual/sensual...then again for some people, there may be no difference.  Personally, I believe there's a difference but I don't try to make people take my opinion as their own.

You may get into one of these shows and find your stuff to be too "soft"...oh well, at least you're not offending anyone.

When you say you're not really wanting to get into a lot of erotic shoots you may not want to push the envelope into that realm.  You know what you're confortable with and what says "style" and "tasteful"...stick with your guns.

May 22 06 10:12 am Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Thanks again to everyone with some very good feedback. I also appreciate the specific mentions of some of my shots - that helps me get an idea of what kind of work to sbmit.

Thanks!

May 22 06 10:21 am Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

'' red hair '' and ''  fork in the road '' might be possible entries ?
unless they WANT bondage and erotic / explicit

people have different tastes but they generally buy what they can display -
anything arty nude & attractive with skin?
it might go down .... GOOD LUCK
I hope U sell!

May 23 06 01:24 am Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

I can relate to what you're saying as far as erotic work. While I shoot a variety of subjects, and some nudes, I wouldn't consider anything I've done to date really all that erotic. Maybe I'm wrong and I'm missing something, but I'm not seeing it in my own work.

However, I think you do in fact have a few photos in your MM port that would work, and they'd bring something differant to what might be expected at an erotic show. Erotica isn't always about what you see, more often it's about what you don't see and the story or situation it tells. So, in the case of your work, I'd suggest these photos:

"Waiting Patiently"
https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060424/12/ … e321d3.jpg

"Shotgun Divorce"
https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060515/05/ … 4c513e.jpg

"Across the Room"
https://img1.modelmayhem.com/060113/10/ … e58ccb.jpg

"Red Hair"
https://img1.modelmayhem.com/060113/10/ … 2e0279.jpg

"Modesty"
https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060422/15/ … 661bde.jpg

You have some very nice work, and some I think that would git in fine with an erotic themed show. And I totally agree with the people that suggested not to worry about shooting what you think will sell; you should shoot from your heart.

This sounds like a really good opportunity for you! I wish you the very best!

-Pat-

May 23 06 01:38 am Link