Forums > General Industry > Naomi Campbell- the #1 Supermodel of all time

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Or Rather "Why British Model Naomi Campbell is the #1 Supermodel of all time

No other "Supermodel " has come close to Naomi s (over ) 16 years at the top >And this British Model ( reportedly of Jamaican and Chinese ancestory ) shows no sign of slowing down ......

Still modelling bikinis well into her 30s - Damn ! ...black don't  crack physically or psychologically

May 20 06 11:29 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Maybe.

I think Veruska,  or Kate Moss might be higher but Naomi was great and is still great when many have left modeling.

Both Kate and Naomi have had long careers.

May 20 06 11:31 am Link

Model

Adeforall

Houston, Alaska, US

Naomi is da bomb.

May 20 06 12:46 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

kate is wahed up. there is one on here that can give Naomi a run for her dollah. Josiane Junkie. MM member that i will work with soon. mm number 17713. kate and the other model lack the versatility that naomi has.

most of the black high fashion models have a career that go way in thier mid to late 30's. iman was another who was still in high demand in her 30's, but no longer wanted to model.

May 20 06 02:35 pm Link

Model

Adeforall

Houston, Alaska, US

Legacys 7 wrote:
kate is wahed up. there is one on here that can gie Naomi a run for her dollah. Josiane Junkie. MM member that i will work with soon. mm number 17713.

You must be kidding. A 19 year-old, 5'6 girl?
A good promotion though.. well, take heed before "Junkie" re-schedule/cancel the shoot. That is normal from what I see here on MM.

Your port rocks!

May 20 06 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

She's still modeling because she didn't retire. Cindy Crawford, Elle MacPhereson, Annabella Sciorra, and many others could still be modeling but they wanted to have families. It is a choice, not a trophy.

May 20 06 02:42 pm Link

Model

Adeforall

Houston, Alaska, US

Ched wrote:
She's still modeling because she didn't retire. Cindy Crawford, Elle MacPhereson, Annabella Sciorra, and many others could still be modeling but they wanted to have families. It is a choice, not a trophy.

Thank you!
Did you see her glowing in the last fashion show in NY?
Where is Udor?

May 20 06 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Adeforall wrote:

You must be kidding. A 19 year-old, 5'6 girl?
A good promotion though.. well, take heed before "Junkie" re-schedule/cancel the shoot. That is normal from what I see here on MM.

Your port rocks!

Lol,

I see that you are on me quick. I don't know anything about the flake history, so I won't judge until I know. I'm a rare, I like to get both sides of the stoy before I make any type of conclusion and I question allthat I hear and see. There are alot of weakminded people out there who just follow what others say and not their own instincts and minds

Thanx bro. for the compliment on my site. I see the  picture and will go and checkout your stuff. But you hae to admit it, 5'6 or not, the Josianne has that versatility that can give some of the taller women a run for their money. And if she was with the right people, this woman's career can take off quick. I see something that many models on here lack, versatility. She can do any style, just like Naomi.

Another model on here that I luv and would luv to work with and would like to put her Josianne together is Iranian Goddess 35302. Another model who can do it all too. These chicks are raw.

May 20 06 02:49 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Ched wrote:

yeah it's a choice, but I also say that it's dna too. I gaurentee you that the others that you mentioned careers would slow down as of current if they were in the business. Noami's thing is beauty, that youthful look and attitude. The others you can see age in their face.

May 20 06 02:53 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Adeforall wrote:

Thank you!
Where is Udor?

I like your port. I wouldn't mind doing a shoot with you. I rarely photograph guys, but if there is something that I see that I can in my Vision, I'll make the moves to do it. I model on and off. Primarily self portriat. I wouldn't mind doing some modeling, I like to dress.

I see that you have worked with Lintuim Picnic.

May 20 06 02:57 pm Link

Model

Adeforall

Houston, Alaska, US

Legacys 7 wrote:

Lol,

I see that you are on me quick. I don't know anything about the flake history, so I won't judge until I know. I'm a rare, I like to get both sides of the stoy before I make any type of conclusion and I question allthat I hear and see. There are alot of weakminded people out there who just follow what others say and not their own instincts and minds

Thanx bro. for the compliment on my site. I see the  picture and will go and checkout your stuff. But you hae to admit it, 5'6 or not, the Josianne has that versatility that can give some of the taller women a run for their money. And if she was with the right people, this woman's career can take off quick. I see something that many models on here lack, versatility. She can do any style, just like Naomi.

Another model on here that I luv and would luv to work with and would like to put her Josianne together is Iranian Goddess 35302. Another model who can do it all too. These chicks are raw.

Wolah! Iranian is hot.

Michael must love all these "shawtys" with versatility.
Best of Luck!

May 20 06 02:57 pm Link

Model

Audra Isadora

New York, New York, US

i like tyra better...haha
thats just me

May 20 06 02:58 pm Link

Model

Adeforall

Houston, Alaska, US

Audra Isadora wrote:
i like tyra better...haha
thats just me

Reason(s)?

May 20 06 02:59 pm Link

Model

Rome Romanne

Pasadena, California, US

Hmmmm - I think we're also forgetting that modelling existed way before our own time. Look up Carmen (modelling for over 60 YEARS and counting!!!). She's with Ford, still booking and is still beautiful. The only reason she isn't famous is she's all about the work and not about the fame.

Also, check Marisa Benenson, Peggy Moffitt, Twiggy, Iman, Christie Brinkley... they all had strong and very LONG careers...

;-)

May 20 06 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Davis

Irving, Texas, US

Naomi Campbell is NOT a supermodel in my opinion.

She is a b**ch (rhymes with witch) and so incredibly stupid every time she opens up her mouth...........it amazes me to this day how she gets away with her antics.

She and Kate Moss should do us all a favor and OD and just be done with it !!

Supermodels are Cindy Crawford, Tyra Banks, Cheryl Tiegs, Linda Evangelista, Daniel Pestova, Rachel Hunter, etc.....

Girls that have a brain as well as beauty.............

Naomi has nothing in her brain................

May 20 06 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Adeforall wrote:

Wolah! Iranian is hot.

Michael must love all these "shawtys" with versatility.
Best of Luck!

Nah,

it's just that I have an eye. If you do it right and the model is right, she can stand just as tall as the others with the right attitude. Just look at Eva Pigford. And yes, Iranian is anotha hottie.

May 20 06 03:06 pm Link

Model

Durham Sorrow

Beecher, Illinois, US

But she is sooo conceited and mean! She hits her stylists!

May 20 06 03:07 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Jay Davis wrote:
Naomi Campbell is NOT a supermodel in my opinion.

She is a b**ch (rhymes with witch) and so incredibly stupid every time she opens up her mouth...........it amazes me to this day how she gets away with her antics.

She and Kate Moss should do us all a favor and OD and just be done with it !!

Supermodels are Cindy Crawford, Tyra Banks, Cheryl Tiegs, Linda Evangelista, Daniel Pestova, Rachel Hunter, etc.....

Girls that have a brain as well as beauty.............

Naomi has nothing in her brain................

Bitch or not, the bitc err uh woman is still a supermodel. I never did like that title. Otherwise she wouldn't still be in high demand, bitch or not. Let's not forget Gia Carangi. Gia was another who was in high demand until her drug habit lead to her getting Aids and then death. Yeah alot of these models mess their careers up. But I think that alot of it is the temptations, stress and demands that are offered to them at such a young age. Some are fortunate to get past it without getting caughtup.

May 20 06 03:11 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Durham Sorrow wrote:
But she is sooo conceited and mean! She hits her stylists!

jump on her. ;o)

May 20 06 03:12 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Adeforall wrote:

Thank you!
Where is Udor?

I am here Alex... I am here... sheeesh... gimme some time would'ya??? smile

Olympus Fashionweek 2006 Fall Collection: Anna Sui - Naomi Campbell
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/UdoRPhotoArchive/Olympus%20Fashionweek%202006%20Fall%20Collection/Naomi/FW-F06_AnnaSui-002.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/UdoRPhotoArchive/Olympus%20Fashionweek%202006%20Fall%20Collection/Naomi/FW-F06_AnnaSui-012.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/UdoRPhotoArchive/Olympus%20Fashionweek%202006%20Fall%20Collection/Naomi/FW-F06_AnnaSui-445.jpg

Olympus Fashionweek 2006 Fall Collection: Heatherette - Naomi Campbell
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/UdoRPhotoArchive/Olympus%20Fashionweek%202006%20Fall%20Collection/Naomi/FW-F06_Heathrtte-236.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/UdoRPhotoArchive/Olympus%20Fashionweek%202006%20Fall%20Collection/Naomi/FW-F06_Heathrtte-243.jpg

May 20 06 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan Aps

Miami, Florida, US

If I remembered correctly, Cindy has made the most of all of them.  See she also has that wacky thing called brains.  The empire she has started includes TV shows, furniture lines, clothing lines....etc.

Soon enough, Naomi's "beauty" will be gone and after one more assistant abuse settlement agreement, she'll be working the streets.

You say Cindy Crawford and people think, "still a knock out", "a great mom", an amazing business woman", "incredible smart".  I doubt people say the same for Naomi.  Infact I am sure most people think, "Diva", "bitc*", "assistant beater", "needing therapy"....etc.

May 20 06 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Apfel Photography wrote:
If I remembered correctly, Cindy has made the most of all of them.  See she also has that wacky thing called brains.  The empire she has started includes TV shows, furniture lines, clothing lines....etc.

Soon enough, Naomi's "beauty" will be gone and after one more assistant abuse settlement agreement, she'll be working the streets.

You say Cindy Crawford and people think, "still a knock out", "a great mom", an amazing business woman", "incredible smart".  I doubt people say the same for Naomi.  Infact I am sure most people think, "Diva", "bitc*", "assistant beater", "needing therapy"....etc.

Still irelevant. this sounds more like it's being taken personal than about the topic having that longevity. No one has disagreed about the foolish attitude that naomi has, outside of that she's doing something roght to still be there. But you should never assume that the woman isn't doing anything else outside of what is being projected to you and us the viewers. The lady may have alot more going on than what you think.  Plus don't be mislead by Cindy, that can also be an image too, like alot of celebr. project. You never know what her lifestyle was during her peeked career.

May 20 06 04:10 pm Link

Model

Ivy Jo

Amarillo, Texas, US

Your all "forgetting" or maybe you don't know of her: Jan Strimple, the number one runway model ever in earnings as well as bookings. She's walked every runway worth walking in her 30+ year career, worked for practically every designer, is now over fifty and works every day of the year. Sometimes the media makes someone famous who doesnt really deserve to be (Naomi). Lets face it,without the media hype, designers would have quit bothering with her after 2 seasons max. It takes luck to get started in this industry, but it takes brains to stay in it more than 5 years. Naomi has bitten the hand that feeds her a few to many times, eventually, the industry is just going to get tired of her.

May 20 06 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Christy Turlington has been a supermodel since 1987, longer than Campbell, and just quietly goes about her job without drama.  She's still working and will probably always be working.

-Don

May 20 06 05:15 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Ivy Bressler wrote:
Your all "forgetting" or maybe you don't know of her: Jan Strimple, the number one runway model ever in earnings as well as bookings. She's walked every runway worth walking in her 30+ year career, worked for practically every designer, is now over fifty and works every day of the year. Sometimes the media makes someone famous who doesnt really deserve to be (Naomi). Lets face it,without the media hype, designers would have quit bothering with her after 2 seasons max. It takes luck to get started in this industry, but it takes brains to stay in it more than 5 years. Naomi has bitten the hand that feeds her a few to many times, eventually, the industry is just going to get tired of her.

Please,

call it what you want, but luck aint even in Noami's department. You can't be lucky doing this type of business for 20 plus years. Let's get real, you guys can call her a bitch and all, which she is, but it's not not luck. Unless you know something about the business instead of speculation please show me. Most models career burn out as soon as they hit their mid 20's because they are considered old. Noami's look, youthful look that competes with woman much younger than her and versatility is what keeps here in the game. This is what kept Iman in high demand at the same age, but she just didn't want to model anymore. Yeah we may have the Cindy Crawford, but Cindy doesn't have the youthful look. She looks her age. I'd bet you that if Cindy came back, she could model, but the demand for her wouldn't be as high because of the new young blood that's out there.

May 20 06 07:03 pm Link

Model

Adeforall

Houston, Alaska, US

UdoR wrote:

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/UdoRPhotoArchive/Olympus%20Fashionweek%202006%20Fall%20Collection/Naomi/FW-F06_AnnaSui-002.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/UdoRPhotoArchive/Olympus%20Fashionweek%202006%20Fall%20Collection/Naomi/FW-F06_AnnaSui-012.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/UdoRPhotoArchive/Olympus%20Fashionweek%202006%20Fall%20Collection/Naomi/FW-F06_AnnaSui-445.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/UdoRPhotoArchive/Olympus%20Fashionweek%202006%20Fall%20Collection/Naomi/FW-F06_Heathrtte-236.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/UdoRPhotoArchive/Olympus%20Fashionweek%202006%20Fall%20Collection/Naomi/FW-F06_Heathrtte-243.jpg

Udor for President one more time.

May 20 06 08:48 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Ched wrote:

Oh , I am not saying its a trophy ...I think settling down and having a family should be the real trophy for anyone in any walk of life

In Arther Elgorts 1993 modelling guide Naomi was qouted as saying that her eventual goal was to settle down and have a family . Sadly she has not reached that goal

Guess she will have to settle fof being the #1 Supermodel of all time as a consolation

May 20 06 11:15 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

UdoR wrote:

I think Udors pictures say it all ......

May 20 06 11:29 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Ivy Bressler wrote:

Ok . I confess ...I must be living in a different Universe then you as Ive not heard of this lady ...Can you give me some facts , figures , sources to back up you claim please .....

May 20 06 11:33 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Apfel Photography wrote:

Don't think Naomi will ever be "working "on your street.

May 20 06 11:34 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Lauren Hutton blazed the trail for "Supermodels!"

May 21 06 02:57 am Link

Photographer

Fred Brown Photo

Chicago, Illinois, US

Legacys 7 wrote:
kate is wahed up. there is one on here that can give Naomi a run for her dollah. Josiane Junkie. MM member that i will work with soon. mm number 17713. kate and the other model lack the versatility that naomi has.

most of the black high fashion models have a career that go way in thier mid to late 30's. iman was another who was still in high demand in her 30's, but no longer wanted to model.

Since Kate is my favorite model who I have watched an admired since she was somewhere around the age of 15, I have to jump in here in here defense.

"Wahed up" huh? OK let's see, Forbes says she was the 4th top paid model in 2005. None of the other girls mentioned on this thread were on their list of the top 6. Kate also has a pay rate ranking of 93. Although it's true she lost clients like Burberry, she re-bounded within a couple of months and started getting new, larger clients. Besides landing Roberto Cavalli as a client she's in the Pirelli 2006 calendar, Burberry, Dior and Rimmel all have plans on re-signing Kate. Let's see did I mention Kate is the face of French fashion house Longchamp? Did I mention she signed a contract just a few weeks ago worth 900,00 with Calvin Klien? All at the tender age of 32! So my friend as you can see, she is far from being "wahed up".

I love the other girls mentioned in fact Kate and Naomi are really good friends, Kate is just may favorite.

May 21 06 08:19 am Link

Makeup Artist

Samantha Chapman

Naomi may well be beautiful, but with all her millions, does she look happy to you?

The fashion industry is in the business of turning very beautiful people ugly and thats what I see when I look at her.
No principles, No morals just tons of cash and plenty of Cocaine.

The fact that she bullies her employees and those paid to keep her looking her best and in the limelight only makes it plainly obvious that this is a woman on the edge.

She just hasnt figured out that its not enough to be beautiful.
If she wasnt such a total arse, I would feel sorry for her.

May 21 06 08:59 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Samantha Chapman wrote:
Naomi may well be beautiful, but with all her millions, does she look happy to you?

The fashion industry is in the business of turning very beautiful people ugly and thats what I see when I look at her.
No principles, No morals just tons of cash and plenty of Cocaine.

The fact that she bullies her employees and those paid to keep her looking her best and in the limelight only makes it plainly obvious that this is a woman on the edge.

She just hasnt figured out that its not enough to be beautiful.
If she wasnt such a total arse, I would feel sorry for her.

does any celebrity look truely happy to you ?

May 21 06 01:47 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Samantha Chapman

Well.... there are those like Naomi and Mariah that are clearly so damn miserable that they feel the need to inflict that misery on others.

Then there are those like Cameron Diaz and Angelina Jolie that seem to be totally comfortable in their own skin.

So my answer would have to be that it depends on the individual, and how they have dealt with that fame.

May 21 06 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Naomi is one of the highest paid models in the world for many many years.

She doesn't have to be a philantropist asking for worldpeace, since she is not competing for Miss World.

She's a model with a bad attitude, but who is worth every penny to the designers who pay her the big bucks to have her in their shows. The images I have posted above are from February of this year, which means that's how she looked 12 weeks ago, doesn't look to me like she'll drop ugly in a few months!

... She strives on the attention and performs on the runway, nothing more and nothing less.

Let her be a bitch, who cares... REALLY?

People who work with her may have heard of the reputation how she treats her staff!

It's like a soldier who joins the armed forces and is deeply disturbed and completely taken by surprise that he/she has to actually go into combat and that there maybe waiting injury or casualties.

Why is it that someone works for her, despite Naomi's reputation?

BECAUSE she is a supermodel and BECAUSE the person may have career advancements in the future by being able to have Naomi on their resume!

So, I dare to say that people who decide to work with her know exactly what to expect... and maybe even, secretly, EXPECT that something like that may happen (sure fire prediction) to step into the spotlight... and gaining notoriety, with resulting economic/professional stepping up the ladder.

It's a game, a role, a theater play with people doing what they hope will advance their careers.

To summarize:

You only have reason to REALLY complain if you become a staff member of Albert Schweitzer or Mother Theresa... and they throw a cell phone after you for no reasons... but a supermodel with a solid history of abuse...

C'mon... the "oh, I had no idea that Ms. Campbell would do something like that"- excuse is pretty lame...

May 21 06 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

Garry k wrote:
Or Rather "Why British Model Naomi Campbell is the #1 Supermodel of all time

No other "Supermodel " has come close to Naomi s (over ) 16 years at the top >And this British Model ( reportedly of Jamaican and Chinese ancestory ) shows no sign of slowing down ......

Still modelling bikinis well into her 30s - Damn ! ...black don't  crack physically or psychologically

I like Sheila Johnson better - always have.

May 21 06 08:42 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Samantha Chapman wrote:
Well.... there are those like Naomi and Mariah that are clearly so damn miserable that they feel the need to inflict that misery on others.

Then there are those like Cameron Diaz and Angelina Jolie that seem to be totally comfortable in their own skin.

So my answer would have to be that it depends on the individual, and how they have dealt with that fame.

You people still make irrelevant points of someone who is at the top of her game, this is what the topic of this forum is all about. Who told you that Angelina Jolie is happy in her own skin? Isn't she the same woman that went through some things throughout her career too? You know, one that was swapping spit with her brother on t.v., divorced Billy Bob Thorten and is still going through some stuff with her father? Please, she's just as insecure as Naomi, which leads us back to the original point, both aren't nutty, but both are at the top of their game.

May 21 06 09:02 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Fred Brown wrote:

Since Kate is my favorite model who I have watched an admired since she was somewhere around the age of 15, I have to jump in here in here defense.

"Wahed up" huh? OK let's see, Forbes says she was the 4th top paid model in 2005. None of the other girls mentioned on this thread were on their list of the top 6. Kate also has a pay rate ranking of 93. Although it's true she lost clients like Burberry, she re-bounded within a couple of months and started getting new, larger clients. Besides landing Roberto Cavalli as a client she's in the Pirelli 2006 calendar, Burberry, Dior and Rimmel all have plans on re-signing Kate. Let's see did I mention Kate is the face of French fashion house Longchamp? Did I mention she signed a contract just a few weeks ago worth 900,00 with Calvin Klien? All at the tender age of 32! So my friend as you can see, she is far from being "wahed up".

I love the other girls mentioned in fact Kate and Naomi are really good friends, Kate is just may favorite.

wahed up = washed up. typo. Anyways, 32 isn't old, where as Noami is damn near hitting 40, this is why this is a topic. The women is competing with 18 years old and younger and is in high demand. I want to see where Kate goes at that age, she and she may not be as strong as she is. As the OP addressed, the black don't crack thing, that seems to be a factor along with other things to why many black supermodels are still in demands. That's always been my belief.

May 21 06 09:07 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Legacys 7 wrote:
wahed up = washed up. typo. Anyways, 32 isn't old, where as Noami is damn near hitting 40, this is why this is a topic.

According to Wikipedia, Naomi's birthday is May 22nd, 1970, which let's her celebrate her 36th birthday TOMORROW(!), Monday the 22nd...

... and according to Answers.com, she got signed with Elite London  at age 15, which makes her modeling career about 21 years long and certainly a long lived one.

May 21 06 09:14 pm Link