Forums > General Industry > Shooting hip hop show

Photographer

Fotomoon

Somerset, New Jersey, US

Hey people need some help. I agreed to do a Hip hop show ( dance routines)  this weekend. Some old hip hop celebs  and dance crews. How does it work as far as the pictures go. I know they will get them, but can I use them also. I've been wondering about this for a while now. If your an event photographer how does the copyright situation work with the shots. Like if you shoot some celeb in the 40/40 club. Can you post him on your website. thanks in advance.

May 18 06 12:08 pm Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

I recently did an event and everyone involved signed a release saying that they allowed any/all images taken during the show to be used publicly, like a blanket release. They just signed one with the people who hosted the show instead of with each individual taking pictures. Ask the event people if this is something they plan to do.

May 18 06 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

John Ricard photography

New York, New York, US

You need to buy a book called, "Asmp Professional Business Practices in Photography", which is available at amazon.com.  Otherwise you'll be exploited whenever you shoot and you will never make enough money to stay in business.  If you are a hobbyist, you won't even make enough money to buy the lenses and camera bodies you want.

The short answer to your questions is that you don't owe pictures to the participants of the event (unless you have a verbal agreement with them to give them pictures).  You can use the pictures in any magazine or on your website or pretty much any website that is like an online magazine.  You don't need releases for these usages.  You can't use the images commercially without a release.  By commercially I mean putting the pictures in an ad or marketing the images on t-shirts or other products.

May 18 06 12:35 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

If there is a copyright issue, the promoter will have you sign a limited release acknowledging your intentions of the images and your reason for shooting the show.

99.9% of the time this does not happen and you jut show up and shoot, especially these days with every Tom, Dick and Harry in the audience snapping away with their camera phones big_smile

May 18 06 12:41 pm Link

Photographer

Fotomoon

Somerset, New Jersey, US

thanks for taking the time to respond. 3 responses, but very informative 3 responses

May 21 06 11:27 am Link

Photographer

BCI Photo

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Blacklyricss wrote:
thanks for taking the time to respond. 3 responses, but very informative 3 responses

It's all you needed. lol

May 21 06 11:35 am Link

Photographer

Glenn Tucker

Hamilton, Hamilton, Bermuda

As a photojournalist first, it all boils down to the agreement beween you and the organisers of the event.
If the they are going to be using the pictures to promote other shows and events make sure in your writen agreement that it says you will receive compansation for further usage of the pictures and that you will have the right to use the pictures for your portfolio and self protion as well.

May 21 06 12:46 pm Link