Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Favorite MAC alternates

Makeup Artist

M M I

New York, New York, US

So as some of us are boycotting the Wal Martization of the industry, here are some of MY favorite alternatives. Please add to the list with your faves.

This is a wonderful link to Kevin-James Bennett's site and has tons of useful info
http://makeup.kjbennett.com/SimplyTheBest.htm

My personal faves

Foundations:

RCMA and Cinema Secrets
I purchase those at www.camerareadycosmetics.com
Also MUFE face and Body

Shadows:
Stila, La Femme, Ben Nye, NARS, Cargo, MUFE, Bourjois, Dior, Tarte, Chantecaille

Most of those you can get at Sephora or a theatre supply store like www.norcostco.com

Blushes:

Nars, Chanel, Tarte, Laura Mercier (loose pigments), Ben Nye, MUFE,

Bronzers:

Nars, Dior, Mercier, BeneFit, Guerlain

Powders:
camera ready sells a loose powder for about $12 that I am in love with. Comes in every color you could ever need and lasts forever.

Brows:

Chanel pencils, NYC (cheapie) makes a powder and wax duo for about 2 bucks that rock, Chantecaille makes a great red brow pencil, Maybelline clear mascara for a brow gel.

Mascara:
YSL Faux Cils, Lancome hypnose, Fresh Supernova, Maybelline full and soft, Loreal  Voluminous, Dior Diorshow.

Lips:

Way to many to list, but chanel and Nars have some rockin colors and they stay on...
Rosebud Salve and Kiehls lip balm for sure.

Brushes:

Trish McEvoy, Kevyn Aucoin, Crown

Add to the list!!

May 18 06 12:57 am Link

Makeup Artist

Samantha Chapman

I love Shu Uemura Hard formula 9 Brow Pencils and Eyeshadows. Neal St, Covent Garden. London

Pout is a great all round range. (not sure if they are in the US). Just off Neal St or Harvey Nics.

Chanel Vitalumiere foundation is excellent for Beauty work.

Dior Skinflash - kind of like Touche Eclat but less obvious with more coverage.

If by some freaky chance anyone in the world uses MAC Skincare. I have some alternatives.
www.beautycenter.co.uk  French Skincare (yeah baby)
Crealine
Embryolisse
Caudalie
They have hundreds of brands that are practically impossible to get in the UK.

Sam.x

May 18 06 02:53 am Link

Makeup Artist

M M I

New York, New York, US

OOh I forgot about the Shu U shadows.. I have a bunch that I've popped out and put in pallettes. And that dior skinflash is amazing. Caudalie has that face spray with mint in it that I looooove.

Thanks for reminding me about those!

May 18 06 09:36 am Link

Makeup Artist

Makeup by Jess

Clemson, South Carolina, US

thank you so much for this post!  I tried to start one yesterday with no replies sad

but this is great!  I asked a former MAC artist what she likes and she said Urban Decay eyeshadows, Ben Nye, and Bare Escentuals but i have not tried them all yet.

What brands (other than MAC) would you advise people to stay away from?  That would be good to know as well...

May 18 06 01:08 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

Here are some great alternatives that I have in my kit...

Foundation: Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer, Laura Mercier Oil Free, Smashbox Studio Seamless (love it), Make-up Designory (a little heavy, but great shades for Indian and Black skin...), I dont personally have Cinema Secrets or RCMA but I have used them on jobs before and they are great as well.

Powders: Laura Mercier Translucent loose, Paula Dorf Translucent (be weary of use on men, because it has a bit of a glow), Perscriptives MagicPowder (great great on all women, it diffuses light and softens lines on older women, gives younger women some dew without too much matte and great for kids because it doesnt look powdery, but still sets the makeup).

Bronzer: Nars, Tarte, Laura Mercier gel Bronzer

Blush: Nars, Stila, Iman Cream Stick Blush, Smashbox, Laura Mercier Cream Blush

Concealer: YSL Touche Eclat, Kryloan Dermacolor, Laura Mercier Secret Camoflage, Cinema Secrets Ultimate Foundation Corrective palette.

Eyeshadows: Chanel Quads (I use Spices and Golden Eyes the most), Make-up Designory (great for neutrals and cheap), MUFE, Nars

Eyeliners: Tarte (suprisingly my new favorite, very unique texture that is really easy to work with), MUFE

Lipliners: pretty mush anything, Wet N Wild #666, Body and Soul, Stila Glaze Lip Pencils are great for a soft lip, Clinique in Bare Buff (please note that stila and clinique are STILL lauder companies though), Smashbox, Tarte

Mascara: Tarte (my fav), Nars, Bourjois, Chanel, Lancome, Maybelline, Max Factor 2000 calorie, La Femme cake mascara

Shimmers: Smashbox seriously has the best, Benefit Hollywood Glo

May 18 06 02:07 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Samantha Chapman

I have heard shisheido do amazing foundations, but I havent used them myself.

For anyone in the UK. Matalan do a range called Jeff + Maggie. Created by Old school Celeb Make-up artist Maggie Hunt.
The under eye illuminating concealers are absolutely amazing and only cost £4.00-ish.

She also makes a range of brushes that start at £4.00. The most expensive brush is only a tenner and they are great quality. Im not sure if they are on her website but you can get her email address from it. www.maggiehunt.com

May 18 06 02:22 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Samantha Chapman

For anyone in the UK. Matalan do a range called Jeff + Maggie. Created by Old school Celeb Make-up artist Maggie Hunt.
The under eye illuminating concealers are absolutely amazing and only cost £4.00-ish.

She also makes a range of brushes that start at £4.00. The most expensive brush is only a tenner and they are great quality. Im not sure if they are on her website but you can get her email address from it. www.maggiehunt.com

May 18 06 02:23 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Samantha Chapman

May 18 06 02:23 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Samantha Chapman

May 18 06 02:24 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Cynthia Rose

New York, New York, US

I personally love the Face Atelier foundations. They were recommended to me by a teacher at MUD and by Billy B and I adore them. http://www.faceatelier.com/
I use the Ben Nye neutral set b/c it really is colorless powder.
I am a total Nars addict. Blushes, Multiples (copacabana!!), eyeshadow, body glow. They are awesome.
I was told by a L'Oreal rep at the Tribeca Film Festival that their new line HIP is supposed to be a MAC knock-off. She gave me a ton of samples and their glosses are pretty nice. They even tried to give them the MAC vanilla-y scent. But I was told I shouldn't bother with their foundations b/c like MAC they are orangey.
I also really like Makeup For Ever. They have wonderful colors and lashes (although you can get most of the same ones at Ricky's for much cheaper) and they offer a pro discount. Their Star Powders are so, so pretty. They have some funky stuff, definately worth checking out!

May 18 06 02:35 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Miss Anthropy

Portland, Oregon, US

Has anyone tried Manic Panic's makeup line, specifically the shadows and blushes? A cursory inspection suggested that they were highly pigmented...vivid intense colours and   they have matte and shimmer shadows. Also you can buy retail or wholesale from the website so perhaps a freelance artist can buy wholesale.

They also have a "frequent dyer miles" programme, though I doubt that's of much use to anyone who digs a remotely natural look.

May 18 06 04:33 pm Link

Model

CassandraLorien

Brooklyn, New York, US

all i have to say Embryolisse is the best EVER, and i totally agree about Face Atelier.

I was at the make up show this weekend and there was a really awsome line called "Promel" but they don't even sell it in the US yet. Any canadians use their products much?

May 18 06 07:20 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Elizabeth

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Samantha Chapman wrote:

Shiseido does have great foundations.  Most of the images in my port here, I used Shiseido The Make-Up either Cream or Liquid

May 18 06 08:53 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Makeup by Jess

Clemson, South Carolina, US

please read my newest post "attention MUA's(especailly if no longer using MAC)"  It would mean alot!

May 19 06 04:16 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

also just so you guys know... Lauder sold Stila. Not sure who their new owner is, but Stila isn't a Lauder company anymore.

May 20 06 12:06 pm Link

Makeup Artist

M M I

New York, New York, US

Bumpity bump bump

May 21 06 03:35 pm Link