Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > So what is it that fashion stylists want?

Photographer

J. Stakeman

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

I've worked with a few different stylists, but I still do not really have a handle on the stylist psyche, or the structure of the photographer-stylist relationship.

From talking to stylist, and reading their blogs, like http://stylebites.blogspot.com/  ....

I have some idea, but what is it that you are really looking for in your relationships with photographers?

There is an interesting power dynamic at work, where you clearly are the most fashion person in fashion photography, your work is predicated upon your social/professional network... and you will almost always be better at the who you know part of the equation than we are, but apart from dressing celebrities you really need a photographer in order to do any work.

What's your career ladder, what are your goals from shoots?  Like what practically does an editorial mean for you, what is it that you can do with it that you couldn't without?  And those all important letters from magazines that allow you to open doors at showrooms.

Apart from money(that part I understand) what is it as a photographer that I(or any of us) can offer that catches your interest?  You are far too powerful to remain as unappreciated as you are.

May 17 06 05:19 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Lori O

New York, New York, US

I guess for me a stylist-photographer relationship would be one that's respectful, easy to get along with, told upfront about any charges (for prints/retouching) creative in having the same vision when it's time to shoot!

May 17 06 08:35 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Rachel Michaela

Chicago, Illinois, US

I love http://stylebites.blogspot.com/ ...didn't know anyone else was a devotee!

I like to work with photographers who are friendly, personable and who don't bu!!shit you.  I like to have a dialog with the photographers I'm working with so we can both express our ideas about the images.  I think it makes a big difference if the photographer makes time to actually get to know the stylist--that not all conversations are hurried and work driven.  Don't really like gossips either...feel like they just bad mouth the rest of their team when we're not around and that sucks.

I like working with photographers who don't put on an "act".

I also only work with photographers who pay on time.  There have been too many "accidentally" unpaid shoots in my past.  I've gone to arranging to be paid on the day of the shoot if possible, when working with photographers I don't know.

I LOVE the photographers I work with on a regular basis and LOVE the images we make together.  It's so nice to look back on the tears and remember that you worked together to create the final product.  A great feeling.

If any photographers out there are looking for a wardrobe stylist and agree with what I've said here, take a gander at my portfolio.

May 19 06 01:50 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

1) money
2) money
3) Ethics

dont charge the client $1000.00 for our services and pay us $700.00, keepiong $300.00 for yourself that isnt good long term business....it will come back and bite you in the arse when the client hires us at a later date without you... "so why did you charge $1000.00 on the last job?"    you see we dont know when you are marking up our fees and keeping a portion for yourself so we dont know what to say to the clients when he says, "why did you charge so much on that job we did with joe photographer?"   

Thats my only gripe, the photographer/stylist relationship isnt that personal, its business...

and that little rant wasnt aimed at you, just a general gripe smile

May 19 06 06:40 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Rachel Michaela

Chicago, Illinois, US

Mary wrote:
1) money
2) money
3) Ethics

hahaha...I can see your point.  At the end of the day we might love being stylists but we've still got to pay the rent just like everybody else.

May 19 06 07:59 pm Link