Forums > General Industry > Should All Male Models Shave Body Hair?

Model

Mike A L L E N

San Francisco, California, US

I recently took a look at one of my photos and realized my chest hair (moderate level) had been edited out by the photographer.  I'm curious if shaving all body parts is necessary:  chest, legs, arm pits, etc.

May 17 06 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Something to consider is that going from more hair to less takes little time, but going the other way takes weeks.

It would also be much more difficult to "shop" in hair vs. "shopping" it out.

One male model I worked with chose to lose hair in stages over the course of the shoot to achieve different looks.

Unless a worthwhile shoot requires less hair, you should hang on to it and lose it on a shoot-by-shoot basis.

May 17 06 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

rossifer photography

Princeton, New Jersey, US

I have to agree with rp photo. Don't get rid of it unless you have to for a particular shoot, gives you more versatility.

May 17 06 04:28 pm Link

Model

Troy Gearhardt

Beverly Hills, California, US

Also look in the search field, and type in male chest hair or something like that, and you will find other people that have talked about this subject.. I had a topic about it as well and got lots of replys so if you find it hope it helps.

May 17 06 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

Kiran Patil

Newark, Delaware, US

I totally disagree with the above. Is it necessary... no, but I really do think you'll get more gigs if you do than if you don't. I've photographed well over a hundred nude men and the shaved ones are always the ones that sell. I have to admit, I also feel it more pleasant to look at - maybe because it clearly shows the developed pectorals and it's easier to play with shadow and light on a clear skin than on one covered with small sprouts of hair.

I also feel the world expects metrosexual models. Hell, even our atheletes and actors are expected to shave their chest, armpits and even their legs and butt. It's part of being a male in the industry now - especially if you are young. Who knows, maybe one day we'll all regress to the barbaric 80's and chest hair will be "manly" again.

May 17 06 04:33 pm Link

Model

KatieK

Lawrence, Kansas, US

So my opinion may be worth absolutely zilch on this subject as I'm neither male nor photographer.  But, hairless men look funny to me.  I LOVE a man with chest, arm, leg, etc hair.  Maybe that's a primal thing.  tongue  I've seen too many guys who shave everything end up with stubble and that's just gross.  I say keep it, and lose it if it's required for a shoot.  Just don't ask your girlfriend to touch your stubbly chest while it's growing back.  ***shudder***

*edit*  I DO NOT recommend or approve of back hair, though!

May 17 06 04:43 pm Link

Photographer

Zedneram

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Usually I ask all my male models to be clean shave the body. For my work I just think it looks better. There are a few models that may get to keep it depending on the shoot and the job. A clean body shave gives the appearance of a more toned body and a clean smooth look. Now all this is just preference. I know other photographers love for male models to keep body hair. I also think it depends on how it's photographed.

Great topic Mike, you know I get this all the time.

May 17 06 04:55 pm Link

Photographer

DarkSpirals

KatieK wrote:
So my opinion may be worth absolutely zilch on this subject as I'm neither male nor photographer.  But, hairless men look funny to me.  I LOVE a man with chest, arm, leg, etc hair.  Maybe that's a primal thing.  tongue  I've seen too many guys who shave everything end up with stubble and that's just gross.  I say keep it, and lose it if it's required for a shoot.  Just don't ask your girlfriend to touch your stubbly chest while it's growing back.  ***shudder***

*edit*  I DO NOT recommend or approve of back hair, though!

Thank you for saying it. I really hope a revolution happens soon where men can be men again. What happend to the Steve Mcqueen, Henry Rollins, John Wayne, testosterone having men out there. Why is there this big draw towards men that I would assume drink soup out of there cranium. Bring back Male models, not not women with pricks. But thats just me. Im not that evolved or hip I guess.

May 17 06 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

StevenNoreyko

Austin, Texas, US

avoid stubble...

Wax that hair, dudes.

smile

-steve

May 18 06 12:43 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

(*draws unibrow on face*) whoa! now i can model too, huh?!? LOL!

fml

May 18 06 12:47 am Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

rip it out..yes!
delipatory cream, waxing, sugaring..... just rip it all out!

(i like smooth men)

lol

May 18 06 01:48 am Link

Model

Tom Sullivan

I am waxed.  Well most of me is.  Some bits I have to shave cos Im not letting anyone rip the hairs out there.

May 18 06 02:05 am Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

coward!!  lol  muah!

May 18 06 02:13 am Link

Model

Jason D.

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Tom Sullivan wrote:
Some bits I have to shave cos Im not letting anyone rip the hairs out there.

Wise decision.

May 18 06 02:14 am Link

Model

Tom Sullivan

Anjel Britt wrote:
coward!!  lol  muah!

Yeah and proud!

May 18 06 02:32 am Link

Photographer

DarkSpirals

Looks like I am definatly on the losing battle of thinking men should look and act like men.

May 18 06 05:44 am Link

Photographer

Mark Leighton

Lagos, Algarve, Portugal

I agree that hairless is generally better for light and muscular definition (have you ever seen a body builder posing with hair?). I think some hair on legs is ok as long as it is not too neanderthal looking. With a good tan more hair is possible but dark hair on very white skin is awful. Definitely no hair on back or shoulders.

Of course these tastes change with time and cultures. I believe some cultures still like their women hairy...

May 18 06 06:09 am Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

StevenNoreyko wrote:
avoid stubble...

Wax that hair, dudes.

smile

-steve

Wax is for wussies. Be a man. Use pliers.

May 18 06 06:11 am Link

Photographer

SimonL

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

VirtuaMike wrote:

Rusty ones.

May 18 06 06:13 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

You guys just have to see this...

Phillips Norelco for men - shave EVERYWHERE

http://www.shaveeverywhere.com/   [opens an interactive Flash ad]

More fun things about this flash ad....

1) After the main message plays to the end - just leave the screen open and do NOT do anything else... there is additional timed interval stuff that you want to see over about 2 minutes or so.

Then...

2) On the sub-menu watch "Optical Inch" [interactive]

3) On the sub-menu watch "Testimonials" [funny audio messages]

4) On the sub-menu try the "Test Drive" [interactive]

GOOD STUFF - - - LOL

Studio36

May 18 06 08:28 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

VirtuaMike wrote:

REAL MEN burn it off with a propane torch.

Studio36

May 18 06 08:30 am Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

I think everyone should be shaved everywhere,
But that's only because my current project is so much easier to shoot if the models are hair free.

Otherwise I would say it is a personal preference thing,
You may get more of some types of work if you are clean shaven,
all the fashion ad work seems skewed towards the "clean" look right now.
But you could also miss out on some special project that calls for the more traditional harry chested manly man look.

and for a personal project plug,
any Clean Shaven Models (Male or Female)
Who want to see big sculptural looking torso studies of them selves in a prominent Philadelphia Gallery this fall....
Drop me a message on my profile.

May 18 06 08:42 am Link

Model

Tom Sullivan

Bodybuilders use oil to show off their muscles.  If youve got hair the oil makes the hair lump together and it looks awfull.  Most use fake tan and the same thing happens with that too.

May 18 06 08:42 am Link

Model

luv2bfitt

Merrimack, New Hampshire, US

I'm not really a hairy guy, so I drag a blade across my chest every week or so, else I end up with a few long curly ones that don't look very masculine. I've heard some guys use Nair...

May 18 06 08:52 am Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Being another female model, this probably doesn't count for much either...

But I would think it would be much the same as with females. I have had photographers request that I not shave and some request that I do. And yeah, I'm talking about selected parts here, but the same thing applies. It boils down to personal preference. If I had the money, I'd laser it all off so I don't have to worry about running out of razor blades... But thats just me.

May 18 06 07:06 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

If you look like you are wearing a mohair sweater when you are nude, then yeah, shave it off. Otherwise it depends on the concept of the shoot. Discuss it with the photographer.

May 18 06 07:26 pm Link

Model

DW Chase

Galveston, Texas, US

Certainly an important topic for us guys:

Since I was young I have struggled with this, but keeping an eye on what is in and out in fashion I have noticed that "fully shaven" is certainly not in at the moment.

Take a look at Abercrombie & Fitch ads, Dolce & Gabbana, Versace, PacSun, etc of course the smooth chest is in (I think thats here to stay for models under 30) but trimmed and scultped armpit hair, happy trails, even pubic hair have become a mainstream "in" with male models.

I think these "hairy" elements are used as eye catchers and because they arrent just "left to grow" but trimmed in what could be called a "metrosexual way" the fashion industry have used this as a new standard for male models.

Of course many times it IS up to the model or the photographer, but on a personal note I have always stuck with my preference which ironically (or not) reflects that of the "A&F" look.

The key is to shape things up the right way

May 18 06 07:27 pm Link