Forums > General Industry > Ordering composite cards?

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

Ok I am having trouble with this. For one I need to find a place where you don't have to order 500 at a time. Second, it seems that none of my pictures are sized right as far as pixels and dpi? 1600x1200 seems to be the requirement but mine all seem to be slightly smaller?

May 17 06 01:33 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Try www.vistaprint.com

Not the worlds greatest quality, but the quantity you're looking for and surprisingly easy to use and upload smaller images plus inexpensive.

My MuA swears by them.

Good luck big_smile

May 17 06 01:42 pm Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

Thank you!!

May 17 06 01:43 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Kelcher

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Try www.compsformodels.com  Perhaps it's www.comps4models.com  The place is in MN and reasonable, but I dunno about their image requirements.  Generally, the better the quality of any image that you send anybody, the better the results.  It seems that the old saying "you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear", or a "Fiat with leather seats, is still a Fiat"  are somewhat true.

Good luck.

May 17 06 01:51 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Claire Elizabeth wrote:
Ok I am having trouble with this. For one I need to find a place where you don't have to order 500 at a time. Second, it seems that none of my pictures are sized right as far as pixels and dpi? 1600x1200 seems to be the requirement but mine all seem to be slightly smaller?

There are printers in NYC that typically print 100 at a time for $125 or so.  I'd recommend either Fairway or Original Card.  The main problem I've found with Internet printers is that they use flimsy card stock, and the card ends up looking cheesy as a result.  You need to make sure you get a sample of what you are going to get if you aren't working with a company that routinely produces cards for good agencies.

On resolution:

What they ask for and what they need aren't the same thing.  Printers will always ask for pictures to be 300 dpi, so the printing size determines the pixel requirement.  Shots on the back of the card (if you use four on the back) will only be about 3.75" tall, so any picture much over 1,000 pixels will be just fine.  The shot on the front will more likely be around 7.5" tall (give or take a little), so printers would prefer thay you give them a shot somewhat north of 2,000 pixels high.  However, that's what they prefer.  You can give them less (as little as 1,200 or so pixels high).  They will bitch about it, and claim that they can't guarantee the quality at that low a pixel count, but they can use them, and it will work.

If they get pissy about it, just bump up the shots to a higher pixel count (making sure to sharpen a bit when you do).  It won't really improve the resolution on the card, but it makes the printer feel better.

May 17 06 02:26 pm Link