Forums > General Industry > Can you see the Hustler

Photographer

bill wylie

New York, New York, US

Here is the question, Can you look at someone (Photographer, Model, Stylist, Make-up) default port picture and tell that the focus is a hustle to get your money.

Don't get me wrong, Money is a great thing. I just think it is better when it comes in
at thousands from real clients. Like advertising agencies, Magazines, Record Companies,
Corporate Accounts, Catalogue Companies, Etc.

Quite often, I can look at someone work and tell (before click onto the port), if you are not talking with or about money, it is a waste of time.

For all whom use this site as income, this is not in any way a judgement.
More power to you. Bill.

May 17 06 12:27 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

You talking about me?
wink

May 17 06 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

jon mmmayhem

Philadelphia, Mississippi, US

sometimes, but usually there's a Playboy or a Penthouse stuck in front of it.

May 18 06 07:40 am Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

bill wylie wrote:
Here is the question, Can you look at someone (Photographer, Model, Stylist, Make-up) default port picture and tell that the focus is a hustle to get your money.

Don't get me wrong, Money is a great thing. I just think it is better when it comes in
at thousands from real clients. Like advertising agencies, Magazines, Record Companies,

Quite often, I can look at someone work and tell (before click onto the port), if you are not talking with or about money, it is a waste of time.

More power to you. Bill.

How can you tell just from one picture that someone is a hustler? I would say after reading their profile you can tell.

May 18 06 07:54 am Link

Model

NAT

Huntington, Virginia, US

Read their profile for sure will let you know alllllll about that person....Oh dont forget to read between the lines also..there hidden stuff too.

May 18 06 09:24 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

I'm not here for the little fish.

May 18 06 10:04 am Link

Photographer

aref

New York, New York, US

Are ther big fish here?? Woha, I must be using the wrong bait altogether!!

May 18 06 10:43 am Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I am a little confused by this... Not really sure what you mean or what the goal of your statement is...?

Are you saying that if someone is money oriented that it is a negative thing? Or are you saying that it is obvious when someone is attempting to get your money through devious or decietful ways?

I am pretty much money driven through this site. I need the money. I do it because its something that I am skilled at, and because I enjoy it on some levels, but I do it because I need to pay my rent and one job just ain't enough. Does that make me a hustler? Or is there some other distinction that I'm missing?

I think I'm confused...

May 18 06 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

g2-new photographics

Boston, Massachusetts, US

No more than the original poster!

smile

May 18 06 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Nat wrote:
Read their profile for sure will let you know alllllll about that person....Oh dont forget to read between the lines also..there hidden stuff too.

Bingo...

May 18 06 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

bill wylie

New York, New York, US

NC 17,

My statement was not base on judgement of a hustler. There are just some folks whom are
Hustler's

And within some cases, the default image speaks in terms of that.

However, we all know that MM is filled with Hustler's. For the Good, Bad & Ugly

I just wonder if anyone else can spot them at first sight

Bill.

May 18 06 07:19 pm Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Thanks for the clarification...

I suppose so. I think it has a lot to do with attitude. Its like people that are swindlers. You can spot them from a mile away in a store before they attempt to approach you to sell you some cheap piece of crap you don't need. Like a jar opener. I mean maybe if I had athritis (I can't spell...)... but yeah.

Conclusion? Hustlers and swindlers are bad and so are jar openers. They're all a waste of space!

/tangent...

May 18 06 07:22 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

bill wylie wrote:
I just wonder if anyone else can spot them at first sight

Bill.

I can't. To be honest, I have been watching this thread, hoping someone would eventually help me understand how you can tell from their avatar....

::fades to confusion::

May 18 06 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

One Eye Blind

San Martin, California, US

Iona Lynn wrote:
You talking about me?
wink

Heck no, I can't even get time scheduled with you to GIVE you my money. That avatar is false advertising...  wink

May 18 06 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

g2-new photographics

Boston, Massachusetts, US

NC17 wrote:
Thanks for the clarification...

I suppose so. I think it has a lot to do with attitude. Its like people that are swindlers. You can spot them from a mile away in a store before they attempt to approach you to sell you some cheap piece of crap you don't need. Like a jar opener. I mean maybe if I had athritis (I can't spell...)... but yeah.

Conclusion? Hustlers and swindlers are bad and so are jar openers. They're all a waste of space!

/tangent...

You call that a clarification!?

smile

May 18 06 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Angel Tara wrote:

I can't. To be honest, I have been watching this thread, hoping someone would eventually help me understand how you can tell from their avatar....

::fades to confusion::

I have to agree with you on this. I guess I don't look for the bad in others.

It's been said; give them enough rope to hang themselves.

May 18 06 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

Nick Ryder

Walnut Creek, California, US

Mister Bill,

Your question is odd at best.

First, you are asking, by looking at the main pic, (prior to opening their port), that the person is a hustler? I certainly hope you're not doing that stuff with the fumes of toxic glue again...

I maintain that there is not a lot of money to be had in these thar hills. The photographers are tight fisted and don't let go of their money often, the model's don't want to pay for the photographer's services, and it's evident that clients rarely use these sites to obtain models or photographers, I have never heard of a magazine or legit casting coming out of here or OMP.

A friend of mine owns a successful modeling agency, he has maintained a steady roster of 15-20 models over the past 5 years on OMP and hasn't got one paid job, just a lot of "trade for pic" crap, he has cleverly nick-named; OMP = Online Model Pimps , basically because there's constantly some mini-series drama going between photographers and the models and very little business being transacted.

I would be interested what motivated your question, it's a rather unusual post, care to share the source of this manisfestation?

Nick at Night

May 18 06 07:43 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

Randall Fox wrote:

Heck no, I can't even get time scheduled with you to GIVE you my money. That avatar is false advertising...  wink

wink  Hack into my home server calendar and schedule yourself a time slot. That is what some of these other sneaky photographers do,
Initiative man, Initiative

May 18 06 08:25 pm Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

pw-gii photographics wrote:

You call that a clarification!?

smile

Clear as pea soup! big_smile

May 19 06 09:10 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

bill wylie wrote:

What does this mean?

May 19 06 09:19 am Link

Photographer

Mark Anderson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Nat wrote:

I'm not sure I agree with you on this.  Reading a profile is just that - reading something someone has written.  You don't hear the inflection in the voice and maybe the person cannot write well (especially in English if English is not their first language).  If you look at the portfolio you can see their work, but that doesn't mean that they are only in it for the money - just that their work is represented by those images. 

There is an old saying "never judge a book by its cover".

May 19 06 09:27 am Link

Photographer

Nathan Sol

Oshkosh, Wisconsin, US

May I see the Hustler?

May 19 06 10:15 am Link

Photographer

bill wylie

New York, New York, US

Sir Nick,

I happen to love human motivation. Which in my mind is the essence of our work. I really enjoy

looking below the surface of an image. My attraction to the subject matter of "Hustler's" is based

on the choice a talent will make, for that default image. I feel that the default image speaks in

volumes.

Is the default simply our best image. Or is it the turn key to make other's look. And to probe

further, what is the motivating desire to make others look.  I think there is (in some cases) the

desire to " Hustle". I just wonder if anyone else can see the "Hustler" above or below the surface.

Bill.

May 19 06 10:33 am Link

Photographer

Mark Anderson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

bill wylie wrote:
Sir Nick,

I happen to love human motivation. Which in my mind is the essence of our work. I really enjoy

looking below the surface of an image. My attraction to the subject matter of "Hustler's" is based

on the choice a talent will make, for that default image. I feel that the default image speaks in

volumes.

Is the default simply our best image. Or is it the turn key to make other's look. And to probe

further, what is the motivating desire to make others look.  I think there is (in some cases) the

desire to " Hustle". I just wonder if anyone else can see the "Hustler" above or below the surface.

Bill.

Now I know why I failed "philosophy and human psyc" in college.  Way too deep for me.  I'm just a one banana person.

May 19 06 10:56 am Link

Photographer

Nick Ryder

Walnut Creek, California, US

bill wylie wrote:
Sir Nick,

volumes.

Bill.

Mister Bill,

I totally agree, observing one's marketing skills & efforts speak volumes  as to where this person is coming from in life. You gotta love it!

NR

May 19 06 11:00 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

bill wylie wrote:

More power to you. Bill.

May 19 06 11:08 am Link

Model

Brandon Smith

San Diego, California, US

bill wylie wrote:
Is the default simply our best image. Or is it the turn key to make other's look. And to probe further, what is the motivating desire to make others look.  I think there is (in some cases) the desire to " Hustle". I just wonder if anyone else can see the "Hustler" above or below the surface.

Wait up here.... Wouldn't it be a wise idea to use the Avatar image as the most marketable image, not necessarily the best image?  I was in sales for some time and to me, what makes more sense is the use of the image that is going to intrigue the most amount of people so that you can introduce them to even more of your portfolio.  You may have a superb image as your avatar but if it doesn't get people to move forward and view your portfolio than how successful is your portfolio? (if a tree falls in the forest does it make a sound?)

May 19 06 11:10 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Bill , given your claim- I think you have some sort of psychic ability  .You should channel it to make some money

May 19 06 11:11 am Link