Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Beating the Florida Humidity...and Retro too?

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

Well, here`s a VERY SERIOUS question for all the stylists (Hair) and Makeup Artists about the trouble of working in Florida during the summer months (outside)

I`ve been really studying more and more vintage hairstyles and also trying to figure out ways to make them LAST LONGER, and LOOK BETTER in this terrible weather we have down here 300% humidity etc.

Funny it`s getting hotter and hotter here each year it seems......I`ve talked to older women who styled here in the late 50`s and early 60`s and they told me....Florida just wasn`t this hotttt back then......

It`s going to be really bad in about 4 to 6 weeks....then Hurricane season kicks in and the humidity just HITS THE ROOF!!!!

Heheheheeh no super glue or 10 cans of aqua net jokes ok?

Well, this is a serious question, so if any stylists and mua`s have the answers I`d love to hear them and also will take them up on trying some "new" stuff with them and some lucky models who will get the 40`s, 50`s and 60`s hairstyles and makeup to prove a point smile

Keeping the Retro Alive in the Sunshine State!

May 16 06 08:45 pm Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

What`s up here??? Nobody have any answers???

May 17 06 08:11 am Link

Makeup Artist

MakeoverMajic

Appleton, Wisconsin, US

you need to stick with updos here in the summertime and spray the hell out of them if you plan on shooting outside... pincurls and other styles will fall if the girls dont have hair that is curly or holds curl normally to start with.... I use a hairspray on my brides that is for high humidity....  they sell it at sallys if you wanna go shoppin one day tom call me we will get some products.... and makeup needs to be lighter and tissues/oil absorbing sheets available to pat the sweat off ... its just all around better to stay out of the heat here in the summer or shoot early morning or in the evenings if shooting outside. thats my humble floridian opinion but hey theres other people who may differ in thier opinions ...

May 17 06 08:19 am Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

MakeoverMajic wrote:
you need to stick with updos here in the summertime and spray the hell out of them if you plan on shooting outside... pincurls and other styles will fall if the girls dont have hair that is curly or holds curl normally to start with.... I use a hairspray on my brides that is for high humidity....  they sell it at sallys if you wanna go shoppin one day tom call me we will get some products.... and makeup needs to be lighter and tissues/oil absorbing sheets available to pat the sweat off ... its just all around better to stay out of the heat here in the summer or shoot early morning or in the evenings if shooting outside. thats my humble floridian opinion but hey theres other people who may differ in thier opinions ...

Hehehehehe well Anna I TRUST your expert judgement smile
"hairspray for high humidity" - sounds like something that`s ex-Air Force military surplus heheheheh!
*There`s gonna be alot of grumpy models and car owners getting up at 5 am for shoots soon.....*  LOL!

May 17 06 08:36 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Z D E S I G N S

Sarasota, Florida, US

KoolGirlieStuff wrote:
*There`s gonna be alot of grumpy models and car owners getting up at 5 am for shoots soon.....*  LOL!

*LOL* Yeah, but they'll be a helluva lot more grumpy if they knew they were shooting in the blazin' heat of the afternoon! I'd get up at 5 am for you, Tom! wink Not anytime soon though ... *L* tongue

May 17 06 12:35 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Olivier

Well as you expected, products are the key in that kind of weather. Specially if you going for vintage hairstyles .As said before updo's would be best but not always what you might want as far as look soooo . I would before styling saturate the hair with a good no frizz product and a mousse for hold. Then use thermal styling to close the cutticles down as much as possible. That should last long enought for your session unless you shooting all day outside and in that case you might have to restyle at midpoint.
Good luck !

May 17 06 12:57 pm Link

Model

Leda Locke

Portland, Oregon, US

Hooah for hair that looks vintage-styled fresh out of the shower.  ^_^  Hope it doesn't grow too long by August!

May 17 06 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Raveney

Miami, Florida, US

thats why there is a "season" that fotogs shoot in, and it's over by april!

May 17 06 01:05 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Lookgood64

Woodbridge, Virginia, US

Definitely product is key.....I found a good line that keeps the frizz down in humidity because it does lock down that cuticle....It's Sleek Look by Matrix.  That whole line is awesome!  Also, if you are going for really smooth styles, you might want to invest in a really good ceramic flat iron and use it in conjunction with a thermal spray.  I highly recommend (because I use it) the Chi Iron, works like a charm!

Lori

May 17 06 06:41 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Michael Raveney wrote:

You can't shoot all year round in Florida? That's got to suck.

We have two seasons, cold rain and warm rain.

May 17 06 06:52 pm Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

Michael Raveney wrote:

My work has NO season, Retro is 365 days a year and 24/7

*Now`s the time for Hurricane (stormy) Retro time and time to hang out at the swimming pool till you can`t stand it anymore and the backseats of vintage cars are still kool (technically speaking not looking....) at about 9 pm.......but, it`s all good, just like producing a movie all year round* wink

May 17 06 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

Z DESIGNS wrote:

*LOL* Yeah, but they'll be a helluva lot more grumpy if they knew they were shooting in the blazin' heat of the afternoon! I'd get up at 5 am for you, Tom! wink Not anytime soon though ... *L* tongue

Hahahahahah Zab, you are one of the FEW models I`d get up at 5 am for smile

May 17 06 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

Olivier wrote:
Well as you expected, products are the key in that kind of weather. Specially if you going for vintage hairstyles .As said before updo's would be best but not always what you might want as far as look soooo . I would before styling saturate the hair with a good no frizz product and a mousse for hold. Then use thermal styling to close the cutticles down as much as possible. That should last long enought for your session unless you shooting all day outside and in that case you might have to restyle at midpoint.
Good luck !

Thank You smile

May 17 06 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

Leda Locke wrote:
Hooah for hair that looks vintage-styled fresh out of the shower.  ^_^  Hope it doesn't grow too long by August!

I knew a California Retro model who`s hair was instant 1940`s about 45 mins out of the shower..........

May 17 06 07:03 pm Link