Forums > General Industry > Hey hey do the dead horse stomp. Just because.

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

From the model:

"Hi and thank you for the reply and compliments. I would love to work on your project. I read your profile and it stated that you are paying $150 for the shoot correct? I would also like my own cd."

Ok, so let me get this straight. You want me to PAY YOU for the priviledge of GIVING YOU photos?

Click. Next.

May 16 06 07:23 pm Link

Model

_Cinnamon_

San Francisco, California, US

That's funny. I bet you laughed when you read it.

May 16 06 07:24 pm Link

Photographer

StudioD

Greenwood, Indiana, US

Would you mind going to her home & taking her to the shoot as well? How about providing lunch as well followed by a massage. Ignorance is, indeed, bliss!

May 16 06 07:29 pm Link

Model

Constance Hilory

Mobile, Alabama, US

She doesn't ask for much .... does she?

May 16 06 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

StudioD wrote:
Would you mind going to her home & taking her to the shoot as well? How about providing lunch as well followed by a massage. Ignorance is, indeed, bliss!

All that is fine. I do it quite often. Massage sounds intriguing.

I just don't get this mentality that many models have that they should receive images AND get paid. I feel that photographers that do this are getting taken advantage of "because they're so damn cute!"

Sending the model a couple of final images at my discretion after paying them is ok and I do it quite often. But this idea of paying them and being obligated to do so just flat out makes no sense to me whatsoever.

May 16 06 07:35 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

what do you expect from internet whores?????

May 16 06 07:36 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

John Jebbia wrote:
Hey hey do the dead horse stomp. Just because.

Now I'm confused.

When does the horse start dancing? wink

May 16 06 07:36 pm Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I've had several photographers give me a camera dump at the end of a shoot even though they were paying me. I wouldn't expect them to do so, nor require it, but thats their choice.

However, I would like to be able to see the results of the shoot, even if I can't really have many of the pictures. I like to know how things came out so that I can take note of something I need to work on, or actually get to see if the results of the shoot are what I felt they ought to be from my impression. I just like knowing how I look smile

But demand it, never....

May 16 06 08:06 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

John Jebbia wrote:
From the model:

"Hi and thank you for the reply and compliments. I would love to work on your project. I read your profile and it stated that you are paying $150 for the shoot correct? I would also like my own cd."

Ok, so let me get this straight. You want me to PAY YOU for the priviledge of GIVING YOU photos?

Click. Next.

There is nothing wrong with that request they made.  It's simple negotiation.  they are saying they are willing to shoot with you, but they want more than just $150.  It's no different than if they had come back and said they want $200.  All you gotta do is say no.

Sorry, I'm not with you on this one.

May 16 06 08:26 pm Link

Model

Model Mel

I'm surprised she didnt ask to move in with you too... I'm with you on this one John, mainly because most models know that its customary to do a paid shoot and know they arent getting images too, they have been compensated for time not imagery.I think its going above and beyond what should be expected ...

Mel

May 17 06 03:23 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I don't really have a problem with giving a paid model a disc as well.  But then for me to pay a model, she'd have to be an absolute star, the type of which being seen in her book would only help to advance me to the next level.

May 17 06 06:43 am Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

John Jebbia wrote:
From the model:

Click. Next.

Gotta hand it to ya John, you get yourself in some doozy situations.  Sometimes a little model education is in order to help them understand how the world works.  If the model is being paid based on shooting for a client then it's pretty acceptable the model doesn't receive the images on a disk, rather a tear-sheet is provided for the book.  Clients certainly don't want digital files floating out on the 'net that might tarnish the campaign imaging and "models" understand that as a reason a CD is not provided.

If she is the right one for the campaign her lack of understanding this could be explained.  If she says "ok" then do the project.  If she is insistent, explain why she won't be getting the project and wish her well in the future.

May 17 06 10:32 am Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

Let me get this straight......a dead horse stomped your model so you got stuck with yet another idiot wanting pay and pictures? Boy I thought I'd heard everything lol.

May 17 06 10:36 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

I still don't understand the stink over this...

Photographer: Hi, I'd like for you to model for me.

Model:  I'm interested, what are the terms?

Photographer:  I'll give you $150

Model:  I'll accept $150 plus a CD with images

You make the call!!

a) Photographer:  $150, that's the offer.
b) Photographer:  Ok
c) Photographer:  $250?
d) Photographer:  $2,500?
    Mode: Oh hell yeah, you can keep the photos and I'll buy you dinner too!!

It's just negotiating fair compensation.  She wants more than what you offered.  All you simply need to do is stand your ground, counter, or accept.  Nothing else needs to be done.

May 17 06 10:55 am Link

Model

PlusModelNikki

Pontiac, Michigan, US

Correct if I am wrong, but if a model is working for a client, say some magazine tear out, and the client pays the model or the agency pays the model, however that works with the exchange of money, the model does not get pictures back on a disc, right?

*edit, i decided to use an example, that way i know i'm being clear and precise.

say Pepsi wants YOU the photographer to shoot ME the model for their next big ad campaign.  YOU and ME, after the project, get paid.  The I, the model, will not receive any pictures on a disk, correct?

May 17 06 10:59 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

Nikki S. wrote:
if a model is working for a client, say some magazine tear out, and the client pays the model or the agency pays the model, however that works with the exchange of money, the model does not get pictures back on a disc, right?

in mainstream circles, with a commercial client & land-based agency talent, many times the model won't even see the photos - (okay, maybe a 'Roid back in the day; a digital clip 2day) - until they're published. his/her fees, the model's, will be taken care of by the agency and that's that. granted, often times, later the model will be furnished a copy of the tear, maybe even a still or two, but not always.

fml

May 17 06 11:06 am Link

Model

PlusModelNikki

Pontiac, Michigan, US

FML-Photography wrote:

in mainstream circles, with a commercial client & land-based agency talent, many times the model won't even see the photos - (okay, maybe a 'Roid back in the day; a digital clip 2day) - until they're published. his/her fees, the model's, will be taken care of by the agency and that's that. granted, often times, later the model will be furnished a copy of the tear, maybe even a still or two, but not always.

fml

thanks! smile  I know a couple of models who get tear sheets in magazines, and they actually have to tear the sheet out that magazine! LoL I was just trying to make sure I have a good understanding.  If I was signed with an agency and a client hired me for a magazine spread, I dont think I would want/need/or desire a disc.  My credentials would be right there in black and white, so to speak.

May 17 06 11:08 am Link

Model

_kate

New York, New York, US

Nikki S. wrote:

thanks! smile  I know a couple of models who get tear sheets in magazines, and they actually have to tear the sheet out that magazine! LoL I was just trying to make sure I have a good understanding.  If I was signed with an agency and a client hired me for a magazine spread, I dont think I would want/need/or desire a disc.  My credentials would be right there in black and white, so to speak.

I agree.  As it's not totally outlandish to ask (because there's no harm in asking), I wouldn't EXPECT it.
And I'm not against tearing myself out of a magazine...I'd be happy to do that! ha.

May 17 06 04:19 pm Link