Forums > General Industry > Boy I got,,,, SCREWED !

Photographer

Scott Evans

Cypress, California, US

Here are the facts.  Oh yea, I will NOT name names:

A model contacted be about shooting.  We discussed and AGREED on a price of $65.00/ hour for the photographer (me), minimum of 2 hours.  This was set and understood by both model and photographer.  We met again at a local coffee shop where rates were confirmed a second time.  I have the e-mails that were exchanged agreeing to the rates.

The day before the shoot I confirmed with the model and she now lowered the $65.00/ hour rate down to $50.00 TOTAL! 

In addition I offered to carpool so she did not have to burn her gas for the 182 mile round trip at $3.00 per gallon for gas.

What happened to honesty and integrity?

May 16 06 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Sounds like a simple "No, thanks, I'll pass" would be in order.

May 16 06 03:07 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Evans

Cypress, California, US

TXPhotog wrote:
Sounds like a simple "No, thanks, I'll pass" would be in order.

Well I did that and she could not understand why I said: " I am sorry but I cannot do TFP for this"  She then said, this is nto TFP I am paying you"?  I then said., well when it cost me more to shoot than what I am making for me I consider that TFP.

May 16 06 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

Frank Perez Imagery

Redlands, California, US

I had the same thing happen recently... it sucks, especially when youre counting on the $$ for bills....

I have read about photogs taking deposits through pay pal and others... I am really starting to think this is a good idea.... deposits not being returned might make them rethink wasting ppls time... and if they still cancel you make some cash for your troubles

May 16 06 03:12 pm Link

Photographer

Taryn Lindsey

Columbus, Ohio, US

Perez Imagery wrote:
I had the same thing happen recently... it sucks, especially when youre counting on the $$ for bills....

I have read about photogs taking deposits through pay pal and others... I am really starting to think this is a good idea.... deposits not being returned might make them rethink wasting ppls time... and if they still cancel you make some cash for your troubles

I've had to start doing this. I hate it, because I like helping people develop their portfolios and understand that money is tight when you're first starting out, but too many "models" don't show up and it ruins it for everyone else.

May 16 06 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Evans

Cypress, California, US

Taryn Lindsey wrote:

I've had to start doing this. I hate it, because I like helping people develop their portfolios and understand that money is tight when you're first starting out, but too many "models" don't show up and it ruins it for everyone else.

Exactly!  I love helping people, and it really isn't a matter of the money, well it is, but she didn't even have the common courtsey to call and say hey, I found a guy that will shoot it TFP.  Instead she said I will call you in a couple of days when I get the money!  She went down the day we were to shoot and shot TFP. which tells me she had an intention of doing this all along!

May 16 06 03:21 pm Link

Photographer

C Hansen Photography

Clarksville, Tennessee, US

I've opted to go the PayPal route and will soon start requiring 50% up front confirmed before shooting.  If they flake or cancel then the 50% is mine...if I can't make it for some reason then I'll refund their money.

I've lost out on a wedding and two portfolio shoots so far.  Both of which I'm assuming because they didn't have anything vested so they felt they could back out easy enough.

PayPal Premiere charges you 2.9% + $0.30, for for a $20 payment to you they take $0.88.  All in all I'll let them have their $0.88 if it means I got payment upfront.

May 16 06 03:27 pm Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

Web models soon figure out if you wont do it for free someone else will.

May 16 06 03:27 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Evans

Cypress, California, US

JM Dean wrote:
Web models soon figure out if you wont do it for free someone else will.

Boy they make it hard on themselves by doing this !

May 16 06 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

Scott Evans wrote:

Boy they make it hard on themselves by doing this !

Not really. Its web modeling. 95% will never be a real model for an agency and I think they realize that. Why pay when i can get it for free? Anyone trying to make a living off web modeling needs a new profession.

May 16 06 03:32 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Dang!!!  I was hoping I could ask if it was good.

May 16 06 03:36 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Evans

Cypress, California, US

Jayne Jones wrote:

Nope it was not good.  I do this full time, not as a hobby loke most models and photographers, so when someone agrees on something it takes on a whole other meaning.

May 16 06 03:53 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Jayne Jones wrote:

Scott Evans wrote:
Nope it was not good.  I do this full time, not as a hobby loke most models and photographers, so when someone agrees on something it takes on a whole other meaning.

Well. . .
If you're ever in Kansas City or the surrounding 10 hour radius area. . .I'd be more than happy to shoot with you.  Bear in mind that I may even be able to pay your fee but I'll be needing finished images back within two weeks (the MM mods are getting antsy).  big_smile

May 16 06 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

jac3950

Freedom, New Hampshire, US

Makes me wonder if a contract isn't in order for those pre-shoot meetings; once a verbal agreement is met, fill in the blanks and get in signed. Deposits also seem like a good suggestion.

I'm also beginning to rethink the PayPal option to the extent that I'm wondering if a surcharge to cover PayPal's fee isn't in order. Any thoughts on that?

May 16 06 04:03 pm Link

Photographer

Fantasy On Film

Detroit, Michigan, US

Fellas,(and ladies) this topic gets more online play then a $10 hooker.

Yes as we grow in the PHOTOGRAPHY BUSINESS, some of us actually want to make a dollar or two. What we run up against is the mirror images of ourselves, last week, last month, last year, whenever it was that WE did not charge for our work, you know to get more "exposure" "TFP", "TFCD", hell just shoot for nutin'.

READ the models profile, notice how many of them state, that they want to get paid AND how much!! Now read the photographer's profiles...it's like they are scared to even ask for a pop /soda bottle deposit.

Bottom line, if this is or has become a business for you then treat it like a business, not like a hobby.

Peace,
Oliver

May 16 06 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

John W Cochran

Auburn, Alabama, US

Perez Imagery wrote:

I'm not sure but you may need to call it a retainer, and then have a few clauses etc.... Or state it is a non refundable deposit.

May 16 06 04:11 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Perez Imagery wrote:

If for some reason they have to "reschedule" would you consider letting the deposit count for the new date??  Some models do actually have real legit reasons to reschedule. . .not all models are flakes.

May 16 06 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

I don’t have time for a pre-shoot meeting “per-seâ€?, however do engage in a lengthy and thorough phone conversation prior to the shoot.

I've been doing the 50% Papal deposit for 6 months now and haven’t had a single flake or late.... Go figure, money (especially theirs) talks big_smile

May 16 06 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

UCPhotog

Hartford, Connecticut, US

Jayne Jones wrote:
If for some reason they have to "reschedule" would you consider letting the deposit count for the new date??  Some models do actually have real legit reasons to reschedule. . .not all models are flakes.

Yes. I take checks for deposits (even for TFP I take post dated, and it is dated for the day after the scheduled shoot). If they don't have checking accounts (or accounts but no checks only debit cards) I also have PayPal. If they give me 48 hours notice, it is all put into the next shoot if that shoot is put on our calendars within 72 hours. 47-24 hour notice - 50%, same conditions. Less than 24 hours and it's mine. I have made a couple of exceptions, but they are few and far between.

I also had one model try to cancel the check through her bank. And she found that it was a pretty big deal as far as the law was concerned. And I got paid.

May 16 06 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

Howard Garcia

New York, New York, US

Been there.

Earlier this year (March to be exact) I contacted a model here on MM (no names to protect the guilty).
I wanted to do a series of erotic fashion images.
This was an all day shoot.
She quoted me a rate 0f $80.00/hour.
Fine, we agreed on the terms.
Just when I'm about to set a date for the shoot she tells me she's now charging $100.00/hour.
I said NO.

Good luck
Howard

May 16 06 05:14 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Oliver Cole what needs to be repeated.  It comes down to this if you are a
hobbists then maybe it doesn't matter if models show or not.  It may make
you angry but hey you shoot for fun but if you consider yourself a pro or
want to be treated like one then collect a deposit.  Models have no problem
letting photographers know shoots will cost them and as Mr. Cole said its almost
like we're afraid to ask for anything.  Sure there are plenty of guys shooting for
free.  Sure some are very good but so what?  If a model asks for your talents
quote her a price and collect a depost period.  Someone else hit it on the head
though.  Why should models pay at all?  After all most won't be working through
any agencies in fact most won't do anything expect grace web sites like these.
So why pay?  If its to get better images again they really don't need better a few
showing their panties or boobs and photographers are panting after them like hungry dogs.

May 16 06 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Evans

Cypress, California, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
Oliver Cole what needs to be repeated.  It comes down to this if you are a
hobbists then maybe it doesn't matter if models show or not.  It may make
you angry but hey you shoot for fun but if you consider yourself a pro or
want to be treated like one then collect a deposit.  Models have no problem
letting photographers know shoots will cost them and as Mr. Cole said its almost
like we're afraid to ask for anything.  Sure there are plenty of guys shooting for
free.  Sure some are very good but so what?  If a model asks for your talents
quote her a price and collect a depost period.  Someone else hit it on the head
though.  Why should models pay at all?  After all most won't be working through
any agencies in fact most won't do anything expect grace web sites like these.
So why pay?  If its to get better images again they really don't need better a few
showing their panties or boobs and photographers are panting after them like hungry dogs.

I agree, thought I was going to be a nice guy and use that dirty little word called "trust" and well you see what happened!

May 16 06 06:43 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Evans

Cypress, California, US

Jayne Jones wrote:

I would let the deposit stand if they rescheduled.

May 16 06 06:44 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

May 16 06 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

J Cross Photography

Detroit, Michigan, US

The first five TFP's that I agreed to do on this site were all no shows. At that point I decided to retire from them. It's just a total lack of respect for a person's time and craft. My prices are still nominal for the most part. As a photographer I have invested a few thousand dollars in cameras, lights, backdrops, lenses, etc. A lot of these models don't want to invest a few hundred into their careers. You only get out what you put in.

May 16 06 07:59 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Evans

Cypress, California, US

Jeffrey Cross wrote:
The first five TFP's that I agreed to do on this site were all no shows. At that point I decided to retire from them. It's just a total lack of respect for a person's time and craft. My prices are still nominal for the most part. As a photographer I have invested a few thousand dollars in cameras, lights, backdrops, lenses, etc. A lot of these models don't want to invest a few hundred into their careers. You only get out what you put in.

I agree 1000% !  Well put!

May 16 06 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

Incident Image

Los Angeles, California, US

Just the term "web models"... makes me laugh!!!!!!  LOL

May 16 06 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Evans

Cypress, California, US

Incident Image wrote:
Just the term "web models"... makes me laugh!!!!!!  LOL

LOL,,I love the webcam portfolios!

May 16 06 08:57 pm Link

Model

Brandon Smith

San Diego, California, US

James Christian wrote:
PayPal Premiere charges you 2.9% + $0.30, for for a $20 payment to you they take $0.88.  All in all I'll let them have their $0.88 if it means I got payment upfront.

I'd have a secondary mode of payment in place though.  I personally stay far far away from Paypal after someone transfered $1,500 to an account in Japan using my accounts (my bank accounts that is)

May 16 06 11:41 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Evans

Cypress, California, US

All yall have been great!  Thank you so much for your time and honesty!

May 17 06 09:32 am Link

Model

NAT

Huntington, Virginia, US

Scott Evans wrote:
Here are the facts.  Oh yea, I will NOT name names:

A model contacted be about shooting.  We discussed and AGREED on a price of $65.00/ hour for the photographer (me), minimum of 2 hours.  This was set and understood by both model and photographer.  We met again at a local coffee shop where rates were confirmed a second time.  I have the e-mails that were exchanged agreeing to the rates.

Thats a good rate too...

May 17 06 09:58 am Link